Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hilux corrosion

AK Kayaking

I am looking for some advice, I have a Hilux Invincible on order which will be used for towing sea kayak trailers, It has been brought to my attention that there maybe corrosion issues with the Hilux and given the environment I will be using the vehicle although it will not be in salt water but will be exposed to sea spray etc, has anyone had issues with corrosion and what areas do I need to watch. Would having the vehicle wax oiled be prudent. 

Hi and welcome, I personally would have it wax-oiled to give some protection. Other members on here have different opinions on what products they use for undersealing. Do a bit of research and decide what products would suit your needs.

• Like 1

I would also check with the dealer whether having additional protection would affect the Toyota corrosion warranty.

The chassis will rust like it did on my 2015 Hilux. Toyota GB will not do any warranty work on the surface rust, they wanted to wait until it had rusted through.  We came an agreement where they would get rid of the surface rust and paint the chassis (on the vehicle) and I'd cover 1/3 the cost.  

They are great trucks but get it properly undersealed from day one to prevent any problems down the line. 

• 2 weeks later...

you no need to worry about but in rainy reasons you may use wax-oiled o give some protection. I am running a Toyota tundra which i use for blocked driveway towing Manhattan, i haven experience this issue i just use wax oil in just rainy season it helps a lot to protect your vehicle.just make sure not to use brine water to wash your car.

• 4 years later...
On 9/10/2019 at 9:13 AM, Tommy Kaira said:

The chassis will rust like it did on my 2015 Hilux. Toyota GB will not do any warranty work on the surface rust, they wanted to wait until it had rusted through.  We came an agreement where they would get rid of the surface rust and paint the chassis (on the vehicle) and I'd cover 1/3 the cost.  

They are great trucks but get it properly undersealed from day one to prevent any problems down the line. 

Hi Tommy, I have the same problem with my Hilux. What did you have to do to get Toyota to cover 2/3 of the costs?

• 4 weeks later...

On my 2013 Hilux the chassis was so bad I ended up needing pretty much every cross member and bracket in the rear end.  Toyota cost an absolute arm and leg for them, lucky I found a very helpful company NS UK Spares who had everything at a fraction of the cost.

www.nsukspares.com