Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Home service 1L Yaris

BombBombDiggyStrikesAgain

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a list of areas to service on a 2005 1L Yaris. I'm going to do the main things - Change oil & filter - Change coolant - Change airfilter - Change cabin filter - Replace wipers - Change spark plugs. Are there are other recommended tasks I should carry out? I've recently gotten this car also, so it would be good to give it a good check over as well to see where I stand with it. It's done 59,000 miles.

Many thanks,

Niall

I would change the hydraulic steering fluid at 60k, easy DIY Joby.

Suck the fluid, top up with clean fluid, drive few days, suck everything out from the bottle and top up with new fluid.

Change manual transmission oil is another easy one if you intend on keeping it for a while.

If you know how to I would change the brake fluid too, not expensive if you ask the garage to do it.

Spray rubber conditioner on all the rubber bushes.

Get the front wheel alignment checked, only £30 to adjust on the Yaris in most places.

Check the rear shoes and clean the inside of the drums is fairly easy on this car as well.

Adjust the hand brake cable if needed, another very easy job on the Yaris Mk2 and Mk2.

Check service history (if you have any) for what has been done and when.  Oil and filter should be changed every year but other things are less often. For example spark plugs might be every 4 or 5 years, and antifreeze every 10 years.  I wouldn't necessarily go changing things which are perfectly serviceable.

One thing missing from your service list - check/replace drive belt(s).

• Like 1

If the coolant is pink (Toyota super long life coolant), the first change was due at 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurred first - so presumably done in 2015 when the car was 10 years old.

Subsequent coolant changes are due every 6 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

• Like 1

Coolant doesn't look great, I'm not sure when it was changed last but I might change it anyway.

Test your Battery if it's still on the original, many garages will give you a check for free.

I just charged it but do you reckon it's worth trying to top up with deionised water if it's low?

When you clean the drum it is best to take out the hold on pin easier to get copper grease under the shoe and check if it is rusty, I decided to replace one of them will do the other rear drum next year. You can also paint the drum once the rust is off with a high temperature paint. 

I just charged it but do you reckon it's worth trying to top up with deionised water if it's low?
Most batteries are sealed for life so I wouldn't bother if yours is one of these.
Checking that you have the right output is the key.

I would however clean the terminals, Battery tray and apply some dielectric grease all over the terminals.

I would also add to your list lubricating the windows rollers with silicone spray.

Wash with a watering hose your ac condenser and radiator can keep things clean from salt and consequently corrosion.

Not a DIY job but if you have Aircon then a proper servicing by an AC technician every three years or so is well worth it in the UK where we don't bother switch it on during the cold months.

Also check the coolant and brakefluid while the car is jacked up replace the droplinks as they wear out very quickly, the 2005 models have electric power steering so no need to worry about that.

Also check the coolant and brakefluid while the car is jacked up replace the droplinks as they wear out very quickly, the 2005 models have electric power steering so no need to worry about that.
Absolutely right, French built Yaris has the electrically controlled steering.

Also worth cleaning earth points and alternator connections, with contact spray than just add dielectric grease and put it back in. 

Be Aware old Yaris rust around the rear between the two wheel arches. Give it a good hose down - ESPECIALLY the petrol filler pipes on the passenger side- and examine for rust. Negnlected models can look very unsightly. Spray wiyth any reputable coating (NOT Waxoyl in areas exposed to water flow as it will wash off. Dinitrol for external surfaces is better - see ebay).

Petrol filler pipes corrode   - no repair possible and over £100 new...  ...

We had a 2003 Polo with a rusty filler neck, about £350 to sort out.