Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Confused !

stevecrvn

Im on my 3rd Toyota 1.4D4D but now looking to venture into the new world to me of a hybrid. Only because I would like a auto.

My daily commute is 80 mile - 40 each way which consisits of   10miles on a fairly fast A road and then 20 miles on Motorway which can be failrly conjested The last 5 miles being in conjusted very slow trafic  I have driven a 2014 auris hybrid today but loved it in the town but on the motorway found it reved on inclines so felt it very strange . Reading up on this is meant to be  normal .

If anyone does a similiar commute what Mpg do thery get ? If I went for a Hybrid Yaris would it be the same and what MPG roughly would I expect ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

The Mrs has been using are touring hybrid for a 7 mile m5 run and an 10 mile town and out on country lanes for a week now and is getting 59 not on trip. As soon as she’s hitting slow traffic it boosts the mpg. 

We are definitely saving on fuel. 

Talked my mum into getting a 67 reg Yaris few months ago she loves it and getting more mpg than us, by the sounds can’t be sure for definite as she doesn’t care. Her words she’s doing more on the fuel, it drives lovely and it’s red. 

But she doesn’t do motorway driving really. 

I would say your be better off 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a 2010 Auris and a Gen4 Prius but have had a Gen3 Prius.  Re going up inclines. Both the Auris and Gen3 Prius increase revs and sound noisy on inclines, not surprisingly because they basically the same mechanics. The Gen4 behaves differently, more as you would be expecting. You get used to the excess revs, I used to just throttle back a bit.

Re fuel consumption on the journey you explain is normal for you. I think you going to get good fuel consumption. I would say the hybrid performs worse mpg on long fast Mway journeys. Get road works/slower moving and mpg gets better, same with town driving.

Mpg, the Auris does about 62mpg in the summer, Gen3 Prius about 65mpg. Prius is more streamlined hence the better figure. The Gen4 is regularly high 70’s in the summer, often in low 80’s.   in the winter these figures can drop 8-10mpg due to batteries not liking cold weather and of course the petrol engine is running more to keep itself warm and the car interior.    

Re mpg, last Friday I was talking to my Toyota dealer (MOT time) about mpg achievements. I was saying on a 114 mile trip from Gloucester to Telford using A roads only (no Mways) in June (good weather) I was showing 88 mpg in the Gen4. He remarked that was very good but not everyone could achieve that..... he said it’s all about driving technique. I recommend you go on Youtube and watch videos for driving Toyota hybrids, plenty there to learn techniques. That’s what I did (still do) and learning a lot.

cant comment on Yaris hybrid, no experience. 

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Catlover said:

We have a 2010 Auris and a Gen4 Prius but have had a Gen3 Prius.  Re going up inclines. Both the Auris and Gen3 Prius increase revs and sound noisy on inclines, not surprisingly because they basically the same mechanics. The Gen4 behaves differently, more as you would be expecting. You get used to the excess revs, I used to just throttle back a bit.

Re fuel consumption on the journey you explain is normal for you. I think you going to get good fuel consumption. I would say the hybrid performs worse mpg on long fast Mway journeys. Get road works/slower moving and mpg gets better, same with town driving.

Mpg, the Auris does about 62mpg in the summer, Gen3 Prius about 65mpg. Prius is more streamlined hence the better figure. The Gen4 is regularly high 70’s in the summer, often in low 80’s.   in the winter these figures can drop 8-10mpg due to batteries not liking cold weather and of course the petrol engine is running more to keep itself warm and the car interior.    

Re mpg, last Friday I was talking to my Toyota dealer (MOT time) about mpg achievements. I was saying on a 114 mile trip from Gloucester to Telford using A roads only (no Mways) in June (good weather) I was showing 88 mpg in the Gen4. He remarked that was very good but not everyone could achieve that..... he said it’s all about driving technique. I recommend you go on Youtube and watch videos for driving Toyota hybrids, plenty there to learn techniques. That’s what I did (still do) and learning a lot.

cant comment on Yaris hybrid, no experience. 

I Currently get 57 mpg out of my Auris d4d and 53mpg out of our Hyundai I20 diesel so would need  to achieve at least low to mid 50s mpg not to increase my running costs. 

Easy mid 50s 

plus no road tax and more reliable 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevecrvn said:

Im on my 3rd Toyota 1.4D4D but now looking to venture into the new world to me of a hybrid. Only because I would like a auto.

I have driven a 2014 auris hybrid today but loved it in the town but on the motorway found it reved on inclines so felt it very strange . Reading up on this is meant to be  normal .

Toyota have fitted CVT (Constant Velocity Transmission) automatic gearboxes in their petrol/diesel cars for a while now.  Driving one 'heavy footed' or uphill makes the engine rev high, giving the impression of a clutch slipping, since the revs increase faster than the car speed does.  As I understand it, the hybrids are a bit different but the high revving thing is the same.

I owned a CVT Avensis for about 2.5 years and raved about how good the auto box was... until my daily commute changed to include joining a motorway at the bottom of a steep hill.  Then it really annoyed me when it revved to 4k or more just to increase speed at a moderate rate to 60 or 70mph.  If the high revs annoyed you during your Auris test drive then be assured it will really annoy you if you own one.

There are other types of automatic gearboxes which don't work the same way, and therefore don't do the high rev thing (or not nearly as badly).  Lots of manufacturers fit twin clutch boxes for example, and Mazda do really nice auto boxes.  We're currently on our 4th Mazda for this reason (if Toyota didn't use CVTs I'd probably still own one).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevecrvn said:

I Currently get 57 mpg out of my Auris d4d and 53mpg out of our Hyundai I20 diesel so would need  to achieve at least low to mid 50s mpg not to increase my running costs. 

You should be quids in then on mpg, and of course petrol is cheaper then diesel.  Also take into account a hybrid is not just about mpg. It’s also about less air pollution. That’s important to me, but not everyone is the same.

Re the talk about cvt auto boxes. The Auris cvt box is the same as fitted to Prius Gen3 (and maybe same as Gen4), it’s different to most cvt boxes, not cones/belts nor chain, but a cvt box engineered extremely strong, and I never heard anything bad said about there durability of the hybrid engineering fitted to Auris/Prius, and remember Prius came to the uk market 20 years ago.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, alan333 said:

CVT (Constant Velocity Transmission)

Pedant alert - Continuously Variable Transmission.😎

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrpj said:

Pedant alert - Continuously Variable Transmission.😎

Accepted, agreed, and apologies offered 🙂

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, alan333 said:

Accepted, agreed, and apologies offered 🙂

Hi Alan.

You are a bigger man for offering your apologises.

Incidentally I always find your posts intelligent and worth reading, ok one slight mistake, if you didn't make them occasionally you wouldn't be a human being, lol. 

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi. I am doing a 250 miles per day every day mostly motorways and some A and B roads plus occasionally i drive in towns with heavy traffic. My Auris hybrid 2010 does 60mpg summer time and 50 in the winter when I keep the car ON even when  not driving sometimes for hours to have some heating and power supply. While going uphill yes the car revs up, but you can manage that simply by pushing it harder or go easier on the throttle, helps a lot, with the time you will get use to it. The car drives differently from manual or standard auto cars, but is not that bad, it is not a sport or performance car, not a Golf R or Audi S3, but it’s not slow at all, it’s just make you drive relaxed and smooth where the other two I mentioned above are just the other way around. Mpg wise you won’t be any worse or much better than a diesel equivalent but the refinement, reliability and the ease of driving makes the hybrid better option, plus it’s more clean, no black clouds of smoke behind. 

Regards 

• Like 2

I have taken the plunge and put a deposit down on a 65 plate Yaris Hybrid Icon . Hope it goes as well as it drove on the test drive. Will try and keep a log of how it goes and happy to share Thanks to everyone who has posted

• Like 2