Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finding my Auris HSD hard to sell? Help with valuing please?

Chunky2778

Hi all, new member here, have had some sort of affiliation with Toyota most of my working life having either been a Toyota apprentice, technician or owning one.

Around July last year I purchased a 2011 Auris HSD T4, it's been a fantastic car that I really have had no problems with, it just works. Have literally had to put tyres and wipers on it along with the obvious servicing.

Circumstances have changed and I need to sell it. It's done 83.5k, long MoT, nearly full (missing one service) service history and is a decent colour. I have priced it at £5695, but while I am getting a decent amount of interest the offers I am getting are derisory in my opinion.

Are these just hard cars to sell or am I just unlucky/in a tricky location (Plymouth)? I figured by buying a HSD it'd be a good investment and fairly easy to sell but the opposite seems to be true. Am I asking too much for it (I've seen these advertised for as little as £4500 with 160k or £8000 with 60k) or do I just need to play the long game?

Also any tips on where to advertise please? I've tried eBay numerous times, gumtree, autotrader and facebook.

toy1.jpg

toy21 - Copy.jpg

toy25 - Copy.jpg

Well the car looks great, and price is reasonable, I think is down to the location. Been recently in Dorset for a Sea break and hardly seen any hybrid, people living in small towns and villages are not aware yet of benefits driving those type of vehicles and still prefer diesels and petrol only cars. Most if not all offers you are getting are from traders and that’s why they offer lower than you expected . Selling privately a car worth over 3k is always an issue, buyers looking for cars like that usually are afraid to pay someone cash and take a car home without any warranty or they are more interested in financing. You basically advertised everywhere and you have to chill and wait. Possible advert in Facebook with changed location to London May bring some more enquires. Another trick is to cancel all your advertising for a little while, week or so than put the car on sale again on higher price £6590 for example you may attract a genuine buyer. 

Good luck 👍

Thanks for your reply, I could try changing the location as you said, although I know this winds some people up to find out it's actually 250 miles away!

I think you're right about location as I've had a few people make a decent offer then retract due to logistics.

Genuine question, how do you attract genuine buyers by making the price so much higher? Does this not just put most people off?

IMHO your asking price is a bit OTT.  If I was looking to buy one of those in a private sale and had to travel a fair distance to view it, I’d be looking to pay an amount that started with a 4. You have to find a price that will make people come to see it.  Where  did  you get your valuation?

Hmm I guess this is what I'm up against as far as difference of opinions goes. 🙂

I guess it's an amalgamation of what I've seen them advertised for from the sources in first post, what I paid for it a year ago and what I've been told to try for by various people.

The most concrete offer I've had for it was 4800 which I felt was a little low considering its condition and how much others are being advertised for?

In May 2017 I paid £6500 at a big non Toyota dealer (VW dealer) for a 2010 Auris hybrid TSpirit (spec higher then yours). It had 60k miles, 12 months MOT, 2 new tyres, 2 wheels with new discs/pads. So I would say yours is overpriced. 

Have you tried a price from WeBuyAnyCar.com? You can use that as a guide. Add about £1200 as a asking price, settle for something less.

Have you looked on Autotrader, see what’s going local, say 80 mile.  If non locally widen the field. plus there is always eBay. Give you some idea where to go.

Are you advertising with loads of photos, interior, under engine bay (clean engine), boot area, and a full description.... include everything.

You will only get what someone thinks it’s worth, but you got to get the lookers first.

Yeah it's a sort of average from what I've seen them around for.

Webuyanycar offered 2800.

A short eBay search a few minutes ago shows that there are none on there £800 of mine, closest is 6495.

Which is kind of why I'm on here as I seem to be going round in circles, I see ones advertised for far more than mine but mine is too expensive...... 

I just put some details into Parkers site (I'm not sure on your exact model) and got this:

Annotation 2019-09-08 191547.jpg

Thankyou! Yeah it's a T4.

For some reason I couldn't get Parker's to work it kept freezing.

Hmm so if ive had an offer of 4800 that was about right then?

How come all these others are so expensive on eBay, they're like 6495, 7775, loads more than mine.

I believe that webuyanycar is owned or is part of British Car Auctions, so they are going to auction it.  I sold a Mondeo to we buy any car, I think I did ok and there was no hassle.

Don’t take this the wrong way, I actually am trying to be helpful.  I would come to look at your car if it was priced at 4,500 and hope to pay not much more than 4,000 for it.

I would also be worried about how much life was left in the batteries and what it would cost if I had to replace them.

Nah it's fine I do take it as being helpful.

The car has a current hybrid health check so I believe they're under guarantee for the next year at least.

Plus also if looked after correctly in my time as a tech on these batteries are rare, coupled with the fact the taxis use the same set up I would say there's a bit of life left in them yet.

But yeah as I say, anyone's opinion is helpful, so thankyou.

40 minutes ago, Chunky2778 said:

Thankyou! Yeah it's a T4.

For some reason I couldn't get Parker's to work it kept freezing.

Hmm so if ive had an offer of 4800 that was about right then?

How come all these others are so expensive on eBay, they're like 6495, 7775, loads more than mine.

Are those prices you quote private sellers or dealers.? And are they getting sold? You can ask what you like, but you need a buyer.

The 6495 seems to be a private seller, the others are independent dealers.

Looks like I should've taken the 4800! Think from now on I'll stick to old bangers.... 🙂

The car industry is slow in both new and used cars sales, we are not in great political and economical times and a new era of electric cars around the corner. Toyota Auris Hybrids has gone up in value not down since the last three years, these are the best possible cars that you can buy from its age and size, no other automatics even come closer, they have no road tax for life too, low running cost and well known reliability. Even they are a little bit aged now there are still people interested to buy them. Genuine buyers are not attracted by the price but by the car itself first, than price come second. If you price it low genuine buyers are sceptical if anything wrong with the car and may skip calling you meanwhile  the traders will heat up your line with offers even lower than webuyanycar. If you urgently need to sell it or there is something wrong with it better pass it on either of them, but if you about an old fashioned way of selling your motor and your car is great condition take it of the market and than after a while put back on Facebook for start, price it just £100-£200 short of dealers prices for exact same spec,  wait and be prepared to kick off another £200-£300 when someone turns up with the money. Anyone asking you for the price first and not for the car is not your buyer. You don’t need many calls but just one , someone who is interested to see the car, has questions about the car and it’s history, ownership, condition, service, etc. £4800 is a 1.6 petrol or 1.4 diesel manual in good condition from a dealer. The era of cheap used cars in UK is over. 

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

they have no road tax for life too

They currently have zero rate VED, but a future government may change VED rates at some point to increase revenue.

I'm a passive partner in a used car business. We typically stock 20 cars in the range £5-15k. All cars are mechanically checked (90 point pdi), basic service and MoT'd. We renew brakes/tyres etc if they don't have 6 months/6000 miles in them. Plus of course we provide a warranty and can offer finance via three lenders. We tend not to panic until a car has been in stock for 90 days. At that point we'll review the pricing, trade out etc.  I'm not that closely involved with the day to day running of the business but I do recall an Alfa Romeo that took a year to shift!

The car business is slow right now. People are anxious about Brexit and, whatever you might read in the papers, the economy is fragile. 

You would be surprised how few people have £5k cash to buy a car. Most will need finance - which the private seller can't offer. You're also at a difficult price point to sell without warranty. Its a complex car and although they are pretty reliable they can be costly to repair IF they go wrong. You will also find that hybrids sell much better in large cities - where the benefits are more apparent. 

My suggestion:  Price the car at £5495. Get a basic Toyota dealer service, Battery check and MoT done. Give it a thorough valet. Note the new MoT and service in your ad and if a potential purchaser looks at the car don't drop below £5400.  If the car is OK they won't walk away.

• Like 1