Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 corolla excessive fuel consumption

Shid786

Hi bought 2006 1.4 petrol corolla with 66,000 on the clock. I feel the car is drinking fuel excessively as put in over £30 and it only lasted a few days before the low fuel lamp came on. How do I find out what the problem is as can't afford to fill up every couple of days!!! 

Thank you for your time and assistance. 

No-one will be able to comment, unless you give more information, such as what mpg you are getting, and the type of driving.

Presumably you have done the obvious like checking for fuel leaks, including telltale signs under the car.

Fuel isn't burnt over time. Fuel is burnt over distance travelled and you've given us no information about how far you drove before you needed to fill up.

£30 would be enough for 25 litres which ought to be enough for at least 200 miles of driving. So if you are driving 60 miles a day it would be reasonable for you to need to fill up again after 'a few days'. However if you're only driving 10 miles a day it implies something wrong.

• Like 1

Sorry for my vagueness, just never had this problem before. I just get this nagging doubt something is wrong. I filled up recently it was 10.64 litres which equates to 2.34 gallons. I got about 87 miles before I had to refuel. Don't know if this helps. I know more accurate way is to refuel the whole tank so will be also doing this shortly. Many thanks for reading and especially for posting a response. One of the reasons I joined this Toyota community. 

On the assumption after you “filled up” with 10.64 litres the tank was FULL, no more would go on, that is a good starting point.   Then you say “I got about 87 miles BEFORE I HAD TO REFUEL”. Why did you have to refuel?  Was the tank then empty? IF the tank was empty, and assuming it holds about 8 gallons, then you doing approx 11 miles to the gallon ie 87miles divided by 8 gallons.   However, you are too vague with your info, and I say that because of your content in your two posts, the information you give does not help very much, if at all, to determine anything near a reliable mpg figure. 

Easiest way to determine mpg, though still not very accurate, is to fill the tank with fuel, that is fill the tank until the pump clicks and stops delivering. Note the total miles on the dashboard readout (ie 66,xxx). Drive the car for whatever time period until the fuel gauge is nearly empty, THEN fill the car with fuel UNTIL the pump clicks and stops delivering.  Note how many gallons of fuel you put in the tank AND note the miles now on the dashboard readout.  Subtract your first dashboard reading from the second dashboard reading.  You now know how many miles you covered for the amount of fuel you put in. Divide the miles covered by the amount of fuel used and you have mpg.

As I said this is not completely accurate, it takes a lot more miles and lot more gallons to improve the accuracy, but it gives some sort of idea in the short term.

The assumption is you are converting litres into gallons correctly.

it would be good to know what type of driving you doing ie town driving, lots of motorways, hilly driving, stop start a lot, sort of speed you do, do you accelerate gently of harshly, same with braking etc.

What level of fuel consumption are you expecting?

From your last post, 10.64 litres does equate to 2.34 Imperial gallons. Assuming that you had to re-fuel when you had used the 2.34 gallons (after about 87 miles), this equates to around 37mpg.

Where are you getting the mileage from - the odometer or the range? In common with some other Toyota models, filling up with less than 15 litres can give false readings.

If the 10.64 litre top up gave you a full tank, and the 87 miles was when the tank was near empty then you have an issue.

You need to be more specific.

Hi,

Agree with Catlover, fill up to the brim  its the only way to get a better idea of consumption, plus you really need to gauge it over a couple of full tanks to give a true picture.  eg  300 -400 miles per full tank , ( down to the Low Level light) 

Do not rely on the fuel usage readings from the radio display, they can be wildly out.

My 1.6 delivers 40 -42 mpg of steady mixed driving,  if you are doing a lot of slow town driving you might go down to 36 mpg quiet easily.

What kind of MPG were you expecting ??

Looking back on some old Parkers spec sheets for the 1.4 petrol,  its quoted as 40mpg,

Other sites quote   what seems to be Toyotas figures,   which are usually a conservative figure under ideal conditions ..?

32.8/49.6/42.2 UK MPG urban/extra-urban/combined

Fuel Consumption - Economy - Combined: 6.7 L/100km
42 mpg UK / 35 mpg US
Fuel Consumption - Economy - Extra Urban: 5.7 L/100km
50 mpg UK / 41 mpg US
Fuel Consumption - Economy - City: 8.4 L/100km
34 mpg UK / 28 mpg US

Ive a 1.4 e12 i get about 40 miles from 10euro petrol which is 7.03 litres, doing mainly short trips, if im doing long trips i was getting 60-62.5 miles from 10euro fuel also differs depending where i have bought the fuel, i usually use maxol or circleK fuel, applegreen fuel was giving bad mileage, but mpg seems to differ so much depending on driving style length of trips and the fuel you have used (i use dipetane its meant to give better mpg and do a bit of cleaning too) 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links