Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 D4D turbo replacement?

James_Delahunt

2008 avensis 2.0d4d loud siren noise from turbo area in engine weird thong tho is no black or white or smokeyness from car just liyd siren noise through accelerations car also cooos or boooos when take foot off the throttle been driving with the siren noise for last 15000 miles regular oil and fikter changes and good oil used no lack or loss of power either very strange just siren noise checked intercooler piping and hosing all seems sound inspected turbo area also v dry no culprots lying about no boost leaks just siren noise waa tginking maybe hole in manifold or turbo to exhaust gasket worn or just turbo slowly dying have another turbo ready waiting to be installed but just tgink its piuntless installing it not least until this siren turbo in the car starts causing smoke and lack of power? also i should probably buy new gaskets oil feed and return pipes too and clean out intercooler? seems like a tough job to replace the turbo from what ive read probably strip the top lower tge engine and then remove cat and exhaust from underbeath to gain better access ? 

If it's causing smoke, then you waited too long and it's probably already caused some amount of damage or extra problems, such as oil in the intercooler to be cleaned out would be the way I look at it. Are you sure it's not severe bearing wear and that the turbo isn't attempting to tear itself apart and dump debris throughout the intake, cylinders and exhaust system? On mine, at the very least, I can easily take the inlet pipe off from the turbo to see if the sound goes away and try to rule out the intercooler and rest of the intake side as the cause. After the miles you have done like this, maybe an inspection mirror or camera would show a sooty mark or two indicating a gasket leak or a hole on the hot side of the turbo?

• Like 1

yeah mate of mine thought he spotted sonething like black soot from one of the bolts where the turbo attaches to the manifold but yeah probably fins chipped and caising it to whine or severe bearing wear also forgot to mention i was driving one day and had a sudden loss of power pulled in popped the hood and the intake pipe was disconnected as the clip that hokds it onto turbo had broken SO my initial suspicion is that the turbo may have sucked in unfiltered debris or dirty air chipping the fibs and causing it to whine i really dont know how it has lasted this long i mean every mechanic i talk to tells me uts coming from turbo which i know anyway but how tge hell is it lasting this long btw im a tan apprentice at toyota dealer so if it means blowing the engine i dont really cade but as you said whatll likely happen is itll blow maybe at some pount n dump oil into intercooler so ill have to clean it out or replace it when changing the turbo 

• 1 month later...

Mine is noisy and seeping, looks a fairly easy job to do (I've not attempted it as yet but I'm in the trade so will have a go), looks like it just imhnbolts from the manifold. I'll change to metal pipes as goo practice along with  new oil and filter. I've found a place that sells recon units for a reasonable price, phoned our parts supplier and he told they can only get a new unit at a cost of £1300(!!!!!!!!!!) said he come keep it!!!!! Lol 

I have a 2ltr 2007,  and exactly the same thing as you, I also have a turbo ready waiting to go in,  I should say mine has been doing this for past two years,  think there was an ambulance or police car following me !! 

Mechanic checked it out for me and said a turbo fin was bent , and not to worry until I see  white or blue smoke, 

I have no loss of power,and car is running fine, my car has 7 hundred thousand km’s On the clock 

• Sad 1

Hello,

I have a Verso 2.0 d4d from 2013, 140 000km (86000 miles).

Since a few months, I have a noise which comes from the turbo I think.

The noise is here only when the engine is hot, after 10/15 km (never when it's cold) between 1500 and 2000 RPM (not before or after). The noise is a kind of "aspiration" (like when you breath but much louder) not like police/ambulance sirens. The noise is here when I drive or when the car isn't moving and I push the gas pedal until 1500-2000 RPM 

I removed the air filter in order to check the noise and it's louder. And you can hear that it comes from turbo area. 

I don't have any power problems or DTC light. The only problem is this noise which wasn't here a few months ago.

Does anyone have anything like this before? What do you think about it? Is the turbo "dying"?

Thank you all for your help 

Maybe the pipework from the air filter or to the intercooler and back is split or has come loose at one of the joints? Give an extra thorough inspection.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 11:11 AM, Yunus BOZKURT said:

Hello,

I have a Verso 2.0 d4d from 2013, 140 000km (86000 miles).

Since a few months, I have a noise which comes from the turbo I think.

The noise is here only when the engine is hot, after 10/15 km (never when it's cold) between 1500 and 2000 RPM (not before or after). The noise is a kind of "aspiration" (like when you breath but much louder) not like police/ambulance sirens. The noise is here when I drive or when the car isn't moving and I push the gas pedal until 1500-2000 RPM 

I removed the air filter in order to check the noise and it's louder. And you can hear that it comes from turbo area. 

I don't have any power problems or DTC light. The only problem is this noise which wasn't here a few months ago.

Does anyone have anything like this before? What do you think about it? Is the turbo "dying"?

Thank you all for your help 

could be a very small boost leak from pipework if yur not loosing power or pumping smoke from tail end drive on n dont worry bout it also no dycs as you said 

On 11/7/2019 at 7:33 PM, john11k said:

I have a 2ltr 2007,  and exactly the same thing as you, I also have a turbo ready waiting to go in,  I should say mine has been doing this for past two years,  think there was an ambulance or police car following me !! 

Mechanic checked it out for me and said a turbo fin was bent , and not to worry until I see  white or blue smoke, 

I have no loss of power,and car is running fine, my car has 7 hundred thousand km’s On the clock 

yeah my nane now in work btw i dunno i probably already said im training toyota technician my new name is whiny turbo jimmy lol yeah my intake fan or compressor wheel is chawed up looked inside using boroscope i dunno might just put new turbo in to give me sonething to do in evening does anyone have any tips on removal procedure i will start at top and remove as much as i can up there abd then take cat or dpf off frpm underneath btw anyine ever remove the central steel arm kinda in the way tbf might just bang ut off too also wpuld like to know if lowering engine is required or removing driveshafts

I think they are accessible but awkward without stripping too many other parts. Helpful if you can use the lifts at work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all finally got around to replacing my turbo car runs lije dream now powers back no whistle siren noise intake fan was chipped on old one if any of you need info on removal reinstall give me a shout i stripped the cat and turbo heatshields the oil feed pipe bolt w washers the 3 nuts holding cat onto turbo took off the fuel filter housing assembly and air box assembly from top then i wemt underneath took exhaust off then cat/dpf off which gave acess to oil return pipe nuts and 3 nuts holding tyrburbo to manifold no need for subframe down engine mounts loose all in all 3 hrs 2 maybe w a lift 

20 hours ago, James_Delahunt said:

Hello all finally got around to replacing my turbo car runs lije dream now powers back no whistle siren noise intake fan was chipped on old one if any of you need info on removal reinstall give me a shout i stripped the cat and turbo heatshields the oil feed pipe bolt w washers the 3 nuts holding cat onto turbo took off the fuel filter housing assembly and air box assembly from top then i wemt underneath took exhaust off then cat/dpf off which gave acess to oil return pipe nuts and 3 nuts holding tyrburbo to manifold no need for subframe down engine mounts loose all in all 3 hrs 2 maybe w a lift 

Gosh that sounds like a lot of work but fun, rather you than me, glad you’ve sorted it...best feeling in the world!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 9:24 PM, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Gosh that sounds like a lot of work but fun, rather you than me, glad you’ve sorted it...best feeling in the world!

yes good feeling but i dont like waiting in silence for other problems to arrive after replacing the turbo i still got it hard to start the car occasionally usually after it sat dor a while or cold freezing night come out next morning n itd be hard to start would go to 900 rpm n drop back off to 0 eventualky it would fire also was getting uneven idle and engine surging ive now just replaced the scv with a new one and im hoping this will solve my issue so far since i bought this car ive done 

alternator

turbocharger 

SCV 

2 rear calipers discs pads 

and 4 services 2 full incl brake fluid and power steering fluid change 183000 miles on the clock 

clutch and flywheel probably at 240000 mile 

Mine was starting hard in the cold, and fine the couple of times I tried pouring hot water on the SCV before starting. Then I ran the tank almost empty and got diesel from a different place to usual. It started much better after that, although the weather was getting generally warmer, so I didn't have as many cold starts to tell with any certainty. When I eventually went back to my usual diesel, the starting has become a bit harder, although not as bad as before. Still, it is generally warmer in the mornings. So it could be that my diesel wasn't the best. Supermarket brand.