Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Toyota Auris RS 1.8L - Engine Ticking Noises

Jessie69ers

Hi Hope you doing well. So I purchased myself a 2010 Toyota Auris 2010 RS 6 Speed manual about a month ago. The vehicle has only done 18000km on the clock.  It has a 1.8L valvematic engine. Actual photos of my car attached. I've noticed alot of engine noises. The engine is worse when car is hot and almost next to none when cold, assume cause RPM higher when it's cold so you dont hear it. The noises are ticking noises very very similar to this YouTube  link below.

Watch "Toyota Corolla (E12) 1.4 Ticking noise / Tapping noise VVTi" on YouTube

I'm wondering if any of you guys have had similar experience at all and if you've had a diagnosis at all and would like to share. It's quite annoying as the vehicle is still somewhat new. Is this a sign of a problem or is it just the noise Toyota valvematic engines naturally make. I use 5w-30 Mobile 1 oil at $120/5L so it's the good stuff. It cant be the tappers as they are hydraulic and the car engine has very very low mileage. Any feedback will be highly appreciated guys

First of all you have duplicate posts! 
In the UK the Auris never got the 1.8 Valvematic version but only the 1.6. Valvematic engines by their nature, work with an almost fully open throttle. The intake valves control the amount of air and fuel let into the combustion chamber, by varying the much they open and duration. Because of this, there is no vacuum effect so need a camshaft driven vacuum pump, similar to diesels. I discovered this on my Avensis which has the same engine. The vacuum pump make the ticking sound.
The engine shown in the Youtube video is a different earlier design "ZZ" engine. Your engine is "ZR". 
Since your car has low mileage - 11250 miles equivalent, nothing should be wrong, but depending on how it has been used, could actually harm the car! 
The engine oil for the Valvematic engine should be 0w/20 as "preferred" grade. That is what I use, and stick to the grade. It is vital for the Valvematic system and being fully synthetic breakdown less the semi-synthetic grade. Also is the oil changed annually, regardless of the low usage?
So long as the car drives fine and there are no warning lights, you should have no problems. 
You should post your on video so we can properly confirm something may be wrong. 

I should have added that the valves could still stick, due to lack of use.  

2 hours ago, Konrad C said:

First of all you have duplicate posts! 
In the UK the Auris never got the 1.8 Valvematic version but only the 1.6. Valvematic engines by their nature, work with an almost fully open throttle. The intake valves control the amount of air and fuel let into the combustion chamber, by varying the much they open and duration. Because of this, there is no vacuum effect so need a camshaft driven vacuum pump, similar to diesels. I discovered this on my Avensis which has the same engine. The vacuum pump make the ticking sound.
The engine shown in the Youtube video is a different earlier design "ZZ" engine. Your engine is "ZR". 
Since your car has low mileage - 11250 miles equivalent, nothing should be wrong, but depending on how it has been used, could actually harm the car! 
The engine oil for the Valvematic engine should be 0w/20 as "preferred" grade. That is what I use, and stick to the grade. It is vital for the Valvematic system and being fully synthetic breakdown less the semi-synthetic grade. Also is the oil changed annually, regardless of the low usage?
So long as the car drives fine and there are no warning lights, you should have no problems. 
You should post your on video so we can properly confirm something may be wrong. 

Hi Konrad thanks for your feedback. I've just done an oil change. I've only just bought the car so not too sure how it was driven as it's a 2nd hand. I'm aware of the duplicate post. Didnt know how do delete it as I'm new on here. I'm in New Zealand 

• Like 1

Since the Auris 1.6 and the 1.8 Valvematic are basically the same engine, but different stroke, you are in the correct forum. As I mentioned, the UK never got the larger 1.8, but the Avensis did. The hybrids are 1.8 though. 
In the UK we can source the correct grade of engine oil at good prices. I bought 5 litres of Petronas 0w/20 Full synthetic oil for £23. It's just a matter of looking for the bargains, and making sure it's from a genuine seller - in this case Euro Car Parts. 
Since the car has hardly been used, I would run the engine for a short while with oil you just put in then say about a month, change the oil again to the preferred grade. You did get the handbook because that will tell you, oil about the fluids and the best for the engine. 
Going back to the rattle, looking at the engine from the front, listen to the top of the cam cover on the right (gearbox) side. That is the vacuum pump. 
Other service items like the spark plugs - use Iridium Denso SC20HR11. Check the condition of the plugs. You need a thin walled spark plug socket 14mm. The oil filter is a paper type in a plastic housing, that you need a special Toyota tool to remove. I got mine cheaply and it's essential. 
If the car has been standing for a long time, a few drives will either make the engine a little less noisy, or there is something mechanically wrong!    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Since the Auris 1.6 and the 1.8 Valvematic are basically the same engine, but different stroke, you are in the correct forum. As I mentioned, the UK never got the larger 1.8, but the Avensis did. The hybrids are 1.8 though. 
In the UK we can source the correct grade of engine oil at good prices. I bought 5 litres of Petronas 0w/20 Full synthetic oil for £23. It's just a matter of looking for the bargains, and making sure it's from a genuine seller - in this case Euro Car Parts. 
Since the car has hardly been used, I would run the engine for a short while with oil you just put in then say about a month, change the oil again to the preferred grade. You did get the handbook because that will tell you, oil about the fluids and the best for the engine. 
Going back to the rattle, looking at the engine from the front, listen to the top of the cam cover on the right (gearbox) side. That is the vacuum pump. 
Other service items like the spark plugs - use iridium Denso SC20HR11. Check the condition of the plugs. You need a thin walled spark plug socket 14mm. The oil filter is a paper type in a plastic housing, that you need a special Toyota tool to remove. I got mine cheaply and it's essential. 
If the car has been standing for a long time, a few drives will either make the engine a little less noisy, or there is something mechanically wrong!    

Konrad thank you for the feedback. I almost certain there is nothing wrong with the car. As a precautionary measure I'm taking the car to a mechanic this afternoon just to ok everything. Will let you know what he says. Have a good day

• Like 1