Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 RAV4 Windscreen Replacement Advice

Tomfromfife

I have written on another topic on this forum regarding the replacement of the windscreen on the new 2019 RAV4. My RAV4 was 2 months old when a stone hit the windscreen on the 11th August causing the usual damage but also cracks across and down the screen. One crack was in the drivers view which means the police could charge with dangerous condition. If you are involved in an accident the situation would be a lot worse.

The windscreen companies that Saga uses are Auto Windscreens and National Windscreens. Both have poor reviews on TrustPilot which are much worse that Autoglass. I was pushed into Auto Windscreens (AW) carrying out the work.

So today, the 10th September, 1 month later the dealer completed the work. Here’s why....

11/8 .. Damage registered with Saga on their windscreen damage phone number who is actually AW call centre. They found that they had to use a genuine Toyota Windscreen as no other companies make them. I checked with the dealer and the screen was available (~£275) on 2 to 4 days delivery and in stock in the UK. AW gave me an appointment date of 20th August. It takes them 9 days as the screen has to come from their central office in Birmingham and they source the screen through a Toyota dealer, then send it to Scotland.

20/8.. I took the car to the depot and received a call 20 minutes later to say collect the car as they need a trim for the top of the screen. Then given another appointment for 30th August. Again because of AWs logistics system sourcing the part through their system, Toyota dealer and Toyota logistics.

23/8.. I checked with the dealer on the availability of this top trim part (£140) and found it could be sourced in 2 working days. AW take 10 days. The dealer advised that it is not only the top trim that is needed as there are a number of parts which Toyota define as not reusable. See the attached diagram with the parts highlighted yellow and note the legend in the bottom left of the diagram. So rather than let AW discover they need more parts and waiting another 10 days, i ordered the parts (£120) and informed AW that I would take them along. AW manager advised they would remove the other parts from the old screen and fit them to the new screen. That is not possible! The dealer advises that some Toyotas have been I their workshop with the parts needed for the bottom of the screen missing after a screen replacement (screen fitters unknown).

30/8.. Took the car to the AW depot for screen replacement and TSS ADAS camera calibration. Went to collect the car, screen replaced but they said it doesn’t need calibration as the option does not show on their diagnostic gadget. The fitter drove it around and it recognised white lines and speed limits and said it is ok. The fitter actually didn’t have the software or it was out of date. I looked at the trim/ seal from the bottom of the screen and it was wrecked and total not reusable.

I booked the car into the dealer straight away for calibration but as on holiday for a week booked in for today, 10th September.

10/9.. The dealer calibrated the camera. Time taken 1 hour so cost was 1 hour labour.

So be warned if you have a broken windscreen. Make sure all the relevant parts are replaced by the fitter and use a reliable fitter or the dealer. Ask the insurance company to use a genuine Toyota screen and make sure the camera is calibrated statically. It isn’t dynamic calibration on this car by driving it about for an hour or so.

BC7F0F6C-A801-4B2F-91B3-B375DE5D2618.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for passing this information on and sorry to hear of your issues. I does show how now days windscreens and accessories associated to them make them complex assemblies. I got a large chip on the passenger side of my Rav4 2018. When I looked closer I could see it was an insect that caused this, I was very surprised how easily it cracked compared to other cars I have owned. Luckily the 'bullet' like chip did not travel and I drove with it for 3 months part exchanging it 2 weeks ago for RAV4 2019. The garage did not seem to care about it.

One thing I did do though, the Toyota garage gave me a 3 day insurance cover with Toyota Insurance for my new Rav4, I then got a quote for the year and it was cheaper than all my other quotes by £100. But it was a better insurance as they stated that the car will always be repaired by Toyota using Toyota parts, where as in the past I had awful repairs done by garages I was directed to by insurance companies.

5 hours ago, Scottydog007 said:

Thank you for passing this information on and sorry to hear of your issues. I does show how now days windscreens and accessories associated to them make them complex assemblies. I got a large chip on the passenger side of my Rav4 2018. When I looked closer I could see it was an insect that caused this, I was very surprised how easily it cracked compared to other cars I have owned. Luckily the 'bullet' like chip did not travel and I drove with it for 3 months part exchanging it 2 weeks ago for RAV4 2019. The garage did not seem to care about it.

One thing I did do though, the Toyota garage gave me a 3 day insurance cover with Toyota Insurance for my new Rav4, I then got a quote for the year and it was cheaper than all my other quotes by £100. But it was a better insurance as they stated that the car will always be repaired by Toyota using Toyota parts, where as in the past I had awful repairs done by garages I was directed to by insurance companies.

I was tempted by the Toyota Insurance with the guarantee of using Toyota when I bought my new car in March.  The problem for me was they would not add my daughter with 20 years driving and no claims as she had a licence from a European country where she lives. (Brexit looms) She would only drive in the UK not abroad on her occasional visits to us.  My current insurers NFU have had no problem adding her over the years and they have confirmed I can use a Toyota garage for repairs.  Also NFU include two years GAP insurance as standard at no extra cost, so Toyota Insurance lost a customer.

Oh the ins and outs of insurance and the changes you have to be aware of.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2019 Rav is having its windscreen replaced by Autoglass on Monday. I told them it’s the version with the wiper deicers but that’s all I’ve said so fingers crossed they know what they need...

3 hours ago, Rob88 said:

My 2019 Rav is having its windscreen replaced by Autoglass on Monday. I told them it’s the version with the wiper deicers but that’s all I’ve said so fingers crossed they know what they need...

Well, my experience with them on my last Toyota was very reassuring:  

On 9/20/2019 at 9:23 AM, Rob88 said:

When I spoke to Autoglass they told me the camera doesn’t need calibrating. It does of course.

Make sure the parts I mentioned on the diagram are replaced. If they remove the top trim from your old screen and refit it, it may not look good so I would advise checking that. The parts at the bottom of the screen cannot be seen (I think) and some screen fitters have left them off, so you could ask to see the old parts. 

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Autoglass came today and almost as soon as he got out the van he said he’d have to ring and find out if the trim is reuse or replace. I mentioned what I’ve seen on here and showed him the picture above showing the parts. 

When he got through to his tech support they confirmed the trim needs replacing and that had been requested to be included in their ‘required parts’ list for the Rav but it hadn’t been processed yet. 

He also checked to make sure I knew the cameras needed to be recalibrated by Toyota, which I’ve already booked it in for. 

Said they could do it tomorrow but I’m waiting til Friday.  Overall I’m not too bothered. It’s a fairly new car so I doubt they’ve done many yet, and I’d much rather wait and it be right than they try and bodge it and it not be right

• 3 weeks later...

How did your windscreen replacement go?

Was Autoglass a good company?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m fairly happy with Autoglass. The did a good job, used a proper Toyota windscreen and there’s no visual indication the screen has been replaced. 

The guy did break a small clip that holds part of the plastic cover behind the rear view mirror, which he didn’t tell me, possibly didn’t noticed himself to be fair. It was only small but I found the broken piece on the floor. It does now move a bit when you touch it, but it doesn’t vibrate and rattle so it’s not an issue really. 

I suspect they reused several of the parts which are classed as Replace on the image above, but I can’t tell so can’t complain.