Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Feedback on my RAV4 2019 Hybrid Excel compaired to my RAV4 Hybrid Excel 2018

Scottydog007

RAV4 Hybrid Excel 2019  compared  to RAV4 Hybrid Excel 2018 with full spec media and panoramic moon/sun roof

I have had the RAV4 2019 for 1.5 weeks and put on 500 miles. I part exchanged it for my RAV4 2018 which I had for 11 months and did 18,000 miles on. My previous cars were Landrover Freelander (with every accessory imaginable) and a Honda CRV 2005, both of these vehicles I loved and put over 150,000 miles on both.

First off I would say there is a massive difference and improvement in nearly every area for RAV4 2019. It feels more refined. Suspension has a big improvement, I believe it is an 'active suspension' though I do not know what it was before for 2018, but now for me it matches my old Landrover Freelander.

The drive and acceleration is smooth and really nice, but then so was the 2018. At the moment I cannot tell if it is faster, but has plenty of power there.

At the moment I am seeing a big improvement on fuel economy averaging 42mpg for fast motorway driving and urban driving at weekends. for my 2018 for the same driving I would see 33mpg. Now this becomes really obvious when you fill up the car, as now I get a 530 mile range per tank where as before I got 330 mile range. Incidentally the fuel tank is I believe 1 litre smaller for 2019 being 55L

Inside the car it seems so much more spacious, this sold it to me as my wife and daughter loved it. Seats seem wider and more hugging similar to my Freelander. Ride and comfort was always good and still is. But there are lots of improvements on switches. For a start most important ones now light up and are at easy access, they were a real dog in the 2018. There is now a switch to turn off parking audio bleep temporary on the steering wheel, before if in traffic and the car behind came too close or one drove to near the car in front the audio alarm would go off, and the only way to solve it was to go through settings and permanently turn sensor off. Door mirrors automatically fold in when engine turned off and lock the car, adds as a double check when you walk away.

The media system is a massive improvement. I had the panoramic view cameras added for the first time and I love them, expensive but nice. I have lost the sun-glasses storage in the roof because the moon roof switches are now placed there, but there is loads more storage cubby-holes around. The rear seating is also a lot nicer, roomier and has 2 air vents and 2 USB plug points.

The down side fuel level low warning sensor comes on for me far too late, for the 2018 it came on at 20 miles left and needle almost at the bottom. So far I got the 2019 down to 40 miles and warning sensor did not come on, so I assume they are the same.

Because of the moon roof I was told I could not have a spare tire, in fact parts department told me there is not a run-flat in their catalogue for the 2019. I then pointed out they are selling 2019 vehicles without moon roof that have run-flat installed. Basically the 2018 run-flat can be used for 2019. I got rid of the foam kit and put a spare full size wheel in that I sourced second hand. I was told by the garage this would not fit, but by removing the polystyrene nest easy enough the wheel bay was perfect and cover fits perfectly. I needed a tool kit and jack which I sourced second hand. Garage wanted to charge £94 just for the jack, though I found the same jack with same load rating new on eBay for £40. Incidentally my car has the 18" wheels and these are slightly a different size to the 2018. Run-flats are 17" and generally not for driving above 50mph.

Anyway I love the car. I will be looking to add a tow-bar and detachable roof-rack. I have a problem with the Roof Rack as it seems I can only install a Toyota roof bars which do not stretch and over-hang. I put at least 2 kayaks or canoe on the roof so need a wide Roof Rack which is not available.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Scottydog007 said:

The down side fuel level low warning sensor comes on for me far too late, for the 2018 it came on at 20 miles left and needle almost at the bottom. So far I got the 2019 down to 40 miles and warning sensor did not come on, so I assume they are the same.

If it is the same as most Toyotas then the low fuel level warning/range comes on not for empty but to a reserve - it is quite possible that even when you hit 0 range displayed that you would still have ~ 9 litres left (probably good for 100 miles depending upon your driving). Having said that you don't want to run a hybrid dry as the restart procedure if you do is not as simple as just adding fuel.

Because of the moon roof I was told I could not have a spare tire, in fact parts department told me there is not a run-flat in their catalogue for the 2019. I then pointed out they are selling 2019 vehicles without moon roof that have run-flat installed. Basically the 2018 run-flat can be used for 2019. I got rid of the foam kit and put a spare full size wheel in that I sourced second hand. I was told by the garage this would not fit, but by removing the polystyrene nest easy enough the wheel bay was perfect and cover fits perfectly. I needed a tool kit and jack which I sourced second hand. Garage wanted to charge £94 just for the jack, though I found the same jack with same load rating new on eBay for £40. Incidentally my car has the 18" wheels and these are slightly a different size to the 2018. Run-flats are 17" and generally not for driving above 50mph.

I think that you are confusing run-flats with spacesavers - there are run-flats used as standard tyres on some cars that will do 150mph+ ...

Anyway I love the car. I will be looking to add a tow-bar and detachable roof-rack. I have a problem with the roof rack as it seems I can only install a Toyota roof bars which do not stretch and over-hang. I put at least 2 kayaks or canoe on the roof so need a wide roof rack which is not available.

You need something that uses the same foot system - iirc Thule do it?

• Like 1

I was told the only reason they can't sell models with a sunroof with a spare tyre is that the sunroof adds enough weight that would put the car over its official CO2 value, so to compensate for the extra roof weight they leave out the spare to keep the figures honest.

No reason physical or technical reason why, as you have done, you can't stash a spare onboard after delivery.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links