Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota 1.6 D4D (BMW) engine - is it reliable?

AEN

I am writing to you to seek your attention and assistance to address my concern. First accept my apology because of reaching to Toyota US. But I couldn’t find any relevant costumer service mail belonging to Japan headquarter. The worst point is that there is no way to express my complain as TOYOTA Japan doesn’t offer e-mail addresses for its customers.

I’m an owner of Toyota 2014 Toyota Verso 1.6 D4D(BMW) Diesel from Ankara Turkey. I would like to bring my complaint & my experience about the Toyota Verso & services I’m facing to Toyota Japan.

I drove this car at around 110000 Km and after expiration of warranty I sent my car to service outside Toyota center. After service I drove my car around 800km and without any engine oil warnings I noticed the sound of engine was changed and I towed the car to authorized Toyota Service BOROVALI at İzmir, Turkey. They said that engine oil filter O-ring seal was not mounted to the filter, so engine ran out of oil by leaking gradually (1 liter oil left) and engine was broken. I asked them to check electronically my car to address my problem that engine oil warnings didn’t work. They replied me that manually they witnessed that they didn’t see any warnings on the instrument panel and after electronical check also there was no problem regarding the engine warning systems. All system on my car working well and my cars computer logs have no record. They didn’t give me any satisfactory answer for the engine warning system failure.

I fully understand the starting cause of the problem was human error. But the big question was, Why the engine oil pressure and engine oil level warning system didn’t warn me? If it would have warned me, I could take necessary preventive measures to protect my engine. As you know this type of warning systems installed every type of engine not only car but also every type of vehicles (aircrafts etc.) to prevent any malfunction irrespective of the cause.

I have filed complaint with customer service at Toyota Turkey, 08 Jul 2019 regarding:

Car Model: Toyota Verso 1.6 D4D (BMW) Diesel Engine

Local Register Number: 06 FH 6154

Engine Number          : N47C16A74568939

Defect : Defective Diesel Engine ( Engine oil monitoring system not working)

I asked them to answer my big question Why the engine oil pressure and engine oil level warning system didn’t warn me? And requested to inspect my engine to find out what is the problem. So, Toyota can address and fix the problem and save many customers who bought this type of car using without any awareness of the problem. But unfortunately reply from Toyota Customer Service Turkey was rude, they didn’t give any concrete reply and they didn’t accept my requests and they said engine was not covered within the warranty the car wasn’t serviced in Toyota Center. However, I believe this is related to the engine warning system as I mentioned above.

To repair it, I need to pay around 10,000 USD at full cost to replace a new engine. I suspect that the cause is just human error. I checked this type of engine problems around my circle, everyone has the same complaints. Mechanics whom I asked they said this engine has manufacture based problems and not reliable. So, you cannot fix it. You should replace a new engine. When I sent my car to service ALJ Toyota Ankara, Turkey to fix this problem, they advised me to replace a new one. This made me and mechanics right about my suspicion for this engine. I am sure you will agree that in view of the above problems was not of acceptable quality for Toyota standard.

Above all Toyota put me and my beloved family lives at risk because of the engine system failure. I am lucky that didn’t happen any accident during my 800 km drive with my family. But what about the others, will they be so lucky if you cannot address this problem?

I have enjoyed the Toyota Verso and I always trust Toyota as a reputable brand. I am very disappointed with the lack of interest I am receiving regarding this issue. It certainly doesn’t entice me to purchase Toyota car in future.

Consequently, for the sake of other innocent people/costumers I kindly ask you to check my engine problem and fix all around the world who using this type of engine. Please compensate my loss by replacing my car with the same make year and model or replace my engine with new one as soon as possible.

I sincerely hope Toyota will address my problem and request. I trust the efficiency and speedy resolution of Toyota customer support in assuring my request will be attended without any further delay.

Hello Ayhan,  sorry to hear of your problem.  First of all, this forum is based in the UK, so you not contacted Toyota USA. Secondly, this forum is independent of Toyota motor company, in fact the moderator of this forum says it is very unlikely any Toyota official would read this forum. 

So, after warranty expires you have a service done at a non Toyota garage. You journey 800 km then have an engine problem - lack of oil, due to the engine oil leakage due to engine oil filter O ring seal not fitted at time of service.

That is poor workmanship at that non Toyota garage you had your car serviced at. Have you been back to that garage and informed them that due their neglect (not fitting the O ring) your engine lost most of its oil and now has a serious mechanical failure.  That is where the real problem lies, that independent garage. It was their duty of care to perform a professional service on your car which they have failed to due due to their neglect.

So, that to me is the real source of your problem. At this moment I assume you been back to the independent garage with the problem...... what did they say?

• Like 2

No point in contacting Toyota USA as they didn't import the Verso for sale in the US (the Verso is a European market vehicle).

Even if Toyota view these forums, and we don't know whether or not they do, it would be Toyota GB and not Toyota Japan.

The oil filter was the reason your car failed. By using a non-Toyota dealer for servicing your car, any goodwill with out of warranty repairs from Toyota Turkey will have been lost. Goodwill works both ways - the customer shows goodwill by having their vehicle serviced within the manufacturers service network, and the manufacturer by assisting with out of warranty repairs, where applicable. 

Servicing outside the dealer network means the manufacturer cannot trace what work has actually been done nor whether suitable parts have been used.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hello Ayhan,  sorry to hear of your problem.  First of all, this forum is based in the UK, so you not contacted Toyota USA. Secondly, this forum is independent of Toyota motor company, in fact the moderator of this forum says it is very unlikely any Toyota official would read this forum. 

So, after warranty expires you have a service done at a non Toyota garage. You journey 800 km then have an engine problem - lack of oil, due to the engine oil leakage due to engine oil filter O ring seal not fitted at time of service.

That is poor workmanship at that non Toyota garage you had your car serviced at. Have you been back to that garage and informed them that due their neglect (not fitting the O ring) your engine lost most of its oil and now has a serious mechanical failure.  That is where the real problem lies, that independent garage. It was their duty of care to perform a professional service on your car which they have failed to due due to their neglect.

So, that to me is the real source of your problem. At this moment I assume you been back to the independent garage with the problem...... what did they say?

Dear Catlover,

My car have both oil pressure monitor and  oil level monitor system according to its manual.

Apart from oil pressure warning, before losing oil till  1 liter left inside engine while I am driving it should trigger the warning system. Unfortunately didn't.

This is why I am questioning. Engine has no problem after computer diagnosis. If so wherever you are Toyota should cover it. Because this is directly related to engine systemic failure that responsibility falls on Toyota.

For your info garage who left the O-ring out repaired my engine at no cost. But After 1 month later the same malfunction occurred and my car waiting new engine to be replaced at Authorized Toyota garage.

Even Authorized Toyota garage didn't want to take responsibility to repair it. They advised to replace the new engine.

According to my understanding they refrain from giving repair guarantee because of it is unreliable and manufacture based systemic problematic engine.

My aim is to inform people who have the same type of engine. By doing so awareness may increase.

Being a 2014 vehicle, the car was well outside the new car warranty (3 years/100,000km).

You had also the car serviced outside the Toyota dealer network, so any goodwill that Toyota may have considered as regards an out of warranty repair, would have been lost.

So Toyota Turkey were quite within their rights to refuse repairs.

Toyota should investigate the problem thorougly whether is there an Engine monitoring system failure or not.

If there is they should Recall  and fix the same engine fitted models.

I think Toyota sold to whole Europe this model. (Verso, Avensis   etc.)

As the issue was on the Verso, moved to the Verso club.

As Toyota Owners Club is not associated with Toyota, you need to continue addressing the issue directly with Toyota, whether that is Toyota Turkey or Toyota Europe.

8 hours ago, AEN said:

Dear Catlover,

My car have both oil pressure monitor and  oil level monitor system according to its manual.

Apart from oil pressure warning, before losing oil till  1 liter left inside engine while I am driving it should trigger the warning system. Unfortunately didn't.

This is why I am questioning. Engine has no problem after computer diagnosis. If so wherever you are Toyota should cover it. Because this is directly related to engine systemic failure that responsibility falls on Toyota.

For your info garage who left the O-ring out repaired my engine at no cost. But After 1 month later the same malfunction occurred and my car waiting new engine to be replaced at Authorized Toyota garage.

Even Authorized Toyota garage didn't want to take responsibility to repair it. They advised to replace the new engine.

According to my understanding they refrain from giving repair guarantee because of it is unreliable and manufacture based systemic problematic engine.

My aim is to inform people who have the same type of engine. By doing so awareness may increase.

You have done that.  I am sure more owners will now lift the bonnet and check the oil level on the dip stick more frequently then before.

• 1 year later...

Hello Ayhan,

Sorry to hear such a bad experience with a verso. Could you have a satisfactory result after all in the end?

I empathise with you Ayhan, and I hope you find further resolution to your problem, thanks for bringing this issue to our attention and spreading awareness of this, as has been said we are just a UK based owners consume r forum.

I think you are correct, the oil filter o ring leaking post service can occur unforeseenly without necessarily great neglect, I've done it myself by not 'hand' tightening my filter not quite 'hand' tight enough myself!!

And like you've said similarly on my type of Toyota, engine failure can also occur due to lack of oil and without any warning light illumination, which like you've said is a basic omission or error so I agree this should be addressed thanks for bringing your case to our attention, and personally I would expect and hope to get some form of redress from Toyota themselves too.

Ayhan, the original poster, joined the UK based TOC 13 Sept 2019, and last visired 14 Sept 2019. It is very unlikely he will have seen any posts since then. It would have been nice to know what the outcome finally was.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links