Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bit of a flap on HJ re. 2019 RAV4

Heidfirst

Could somebody lucky enough to have one of the new model please check this? https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column/2019-09/honest-johns-motoring-agony-column-14-09-2019-part-2/ & scroll down to "Bit of a Flap" - I am wondering if it could even be a transit cover to prevent scratching etc. before delivery?

No it is part of the design but I think the fears expressed are pretty alarmist. If liquids or foreign objects were introduced they would drop straight through anyway. It is not there to do anything other than cosmetically fill a gap while allowing steering column adjustment. Does look a bit odd though.

It is like that, however, yours looks like it has been tugged and is now ill fitting. It is there to allow for the tilt and lift column, I have no idea how you could drop anything like liquid or coins in there, you would never get near it to be honest 

It could be better imho but I guess it is a weight and cost saving exercise.

My BMW had a more robust fabric solution but then again they are sold for a higher cost, you could say the same about exposed metal and plastic in the boot area, Audi and BMW tend to cover these up with carpet, Toyota do not.

3 hours ago, Parts-King said:

It is like that, however, yours looks like it has been tugged and is now ill fitting. It is there to allow for the tilt and lift column,

Not mine. I had already surmised that if it wasn't just some sort of anti-scratch pre-delivery cover over another surface that it was probably to allow for steering wheel adjustment.

Mine is like that but I didn't notice it until I saw this post. It folds as the steering column is adjusted in and out or up and down. If the steering column is right out and up (for long legged drivers like me) it is taught and not so noticeable. If the column is right out and right down there are some large gaps at the sides. I haven't see anything like that on any car I have owned (mostly BMWs). Toyota could have done better with the design in that area.

I had a survey for the new RAV4 from Toyota (through some other company) yesterday and completed it online. Shame I hadn't noticed the flappy bit or I would have commented on it. 

My wife’s Lexus has the same flexible plastic on the steering column.

My steering wheel is quite high, and the material is more or less invisible.

I'm sure I've seen other cars with similar solutions but can't remember which.  Years ago, there was nothing there, just a gap!  Further back still, no adjustment for rake or reach.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links