Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Tourer 2013 Rear Cycle Rack?

WallaceMacGromit

The 2013 Avensis Tourer has a top spoiler mounted on the tailgate.  Does anyone know if this would be strong enough to hang a loaded rear cycle rack from without damaging it?  Even a towbar mounted cycle rack would need stabilising straps hooked onto it I suspect.

Many thanks

Hi, if it is the same as my spoiler it has an integrated metal section across the back which is part of the boot, the spoiler fits around this. I have put my strap hooks over this metal section and it has been fine. Hope yours is the same😉 let us know how you get on.

Nick

Ps. I would not hang hooks off the plastic section

Thanks Nick, I'll have a look tomorrow.  

Hi Nick, to find the metal section that you mentioned under the spoiler  do you have to remove the central cover panel that gives access to the high level brake lights?

If so, does this panel just prise off?

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew, I think your spoiler is different to mine. The metal part is an elongated 'D' section flush with the plastic part looking from the top of the spoiler. Hope pics help?

Nick

IMG_20190916_180157.jpg

IMG_20190916_180203.jpg

IMG_20190916_180208.jpg

Actually mine looks exactly like yours.  So the elongated D section (which I assumed to be a pop-off panel for access to the huigh level brake lights) is actually a metal fixture?  I had assumed that it was just a plastiic cover.

It was this D-section that you hung the rack from?

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for the photos by the way.

Andrew

Hi, yes, the D is metal and part of the tailgate. To get access to the H L brake light the plastic spoiler has to come off around the D section, unbolted from inside I think and adhesive on the out side? You would have to research removal as the B light is attached to the plastic spoiler. Others might know the actual procedure for removal/access . As I understand it you cannot  gain access to the BL from inside the car. I did not carry more than one bike on the rack but it traveled fine. 😉

My rack had feet that took the weight & rested on the bumper sill. Not sure I would like to try ones that only rested on the window/tailgate tho' hope you get it sorted 👍

Nick

Very grateful for all of this Nick.  My son and his family come over from NYC on holiday and will need to use it.  My rack can hold 4 bikes but from what you have tried (and not tried) I'm reluctant for him to attempt to have that many carried on the tailgate of this particular vehicle.

So, on reflection, I may probably go for a towball mounted rack, several of which are self supporting.

Thanks for your interest and all your assistance though.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, your welcome. Yes, I think 4 bikes would be asking for trouble on the tailgate. Wise choice to go for towball mounted rack 👍 good luck with it.

Regards,

Nick