Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid Battery

Eddie G

With being new to Hybrid cars i was wondering if they is a secondary Battery to power lights ect with there being no lead acid Battery you would find on a normal petrol car? and if so the life expectancy compared to a normal lead acid Battery, any information would be helpful 👍

Edited by Eddie G
Spelling mistake

1 hour ago, bill.belfield said:

The Yaris Hybrid has a 12v auxiliary battery under the back seats

IMG_0199.JPG

Battery.jpeg

• Thanks 1

@Martswain thanks for the info 👍 and nice GRMN! , asked about them when i got my GR and they said all sold out but was looking more at the GR as it was mainly for short trips to work with few weekend summer trips, great car on the country bends and 59mpg at moment.

@Mick F thanks for the info and pictures 👍 so you would just replace it after a few years like you would in a non hybrid 👍

Battery condition all depends how the car is driven and maintaned, you may get 10 years out of it, you may get 4 years out of it, If you replace it fit a good quality Battery like a Bosch S4/5 or Varta

A friend has a 62 plate and the 12v Battery has just died - i drained it and refilled it with deionized water and put it on a trickle charge over night - it now test about 90% of new one

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 3:47 PM, Eddie G said:

@Martswain thanks for the info 👍 and nice GRMN! , asked about them when i got my GR and they said all sold out but was looking more at the GR as it was mainly for short trips to work with few weekend summer trips, great car on the country bends and 59mpg at moment.

That's pretty decent MPG. My GR-Sport gets delivered next month, can't wait now!!

Alan

• Like 1

ashame they didn't put the 1.8 hybrid in the GR-s, the GRMN is a 1.8 supercharged Manual its a very different car i have only seen 2 in the flesh

My hybrid gets 61.8 mpg and thats mainly around town driving, i had to change my driving style to suit the hybrid what took a while

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

ashame they didn't put the 1.8 hybrid in the GR-s, the GRMN is a 1.8 supercharged Manual its a very different car i have only seen 2 in the flesh

My hybrid gets 61.8 mpg and thats mainly around town driving, i had to change my driving style to suit the hybrid what took a while

Bob . i have just bought mt first hybrid Yaris  . what is the best way to drive ? I am used to the 1.4 d4d

1 hour ago, stevecrvn said:

Bob . i have just bought mt first hybrid Yaris  . what is the best way to drive ? I am used to the 1.4 d4d

Stick it in "D" or "R" as necessary.

"EV" mode is useful for moving short distances, such as in and out of a garage, but on the road it can force the traction Battery below the optimal level which means the petrol engine then runs longer to get back to the normal charge range.

Do not stress trying to keep the traction Battery at a particular level, Toyota have spent millions of Yen on making hybrids work without too much driver intervention.

"B" mode, only use on steep or long downhill roads.

If you have Cruise Control, use it whenever possible, the system can adjust the throttle much better than you, so economy improves.

Once up to the lower speed limits (30/40) briefly lift off the throttle to encourage the care to go into electric mode, then gently re-apply throttle to maintain speed.

When slowing down, anticipate more and use a gentle press for longer to maximise regenerative braking.

Don't be surprised if your rear discs get a bit rusty, they only get used when the pedal is pressed pretty hard or below about 10 MPH.

You will notice that winter economy is significantly worse than summer, it likes to keep ITSELF warm and if you like to be toasty too, that will exacerbate the situation.

Air Conditioning use make hardly any difference to economy.

I have had 4 hybrids, all from Toyota/Lexus and the Yaris had the greatest variation from summer to winter economy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevecrvn said:

You Tube is a great source for information on how to get the best from hybrids. Don’t know if any YT videos for Yaris hybrid but plenty for Prius and the principle is the same.  Driving your hybrid for economy without annoying other divers by going too slow is something worthwhile acquiring.

just travelled today from near Chester to Rhosneigr, Angelsey by going down past Wrexham, picking up the A5 through Llangollen, Corwen, Capel Curig, over Menai bridge and averaged over 80mpg. Lovely sweeping bends, up hill, down dale, kept up with traffic, no problem. It’s the sort of journey the hybrids like. What they don’t really deliver good mpg is MWay driving. Ok for around 60mpg but as soon as off the Mway and driving normal roads the mpg gets a lot better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, martswain said:

Don't be surprised if your rear discs get a bit rusty, they only get used when the pedal is pressed pretty hard or below about 10 MPH.

I understand that initial application of the brakes only applies the rears, because the fronts are retarded by regenerative braking. The brakes have to be applied fairly firmly to apply the fronts. That is why brake dust is more noticeable on the rear wheels of hybrids and why the front discs are more likely to be corroded.

That's not correct as I understand it. Initial application of the brakes (gentle and progressive) ONLY activates the regenerative braking which means that it only acts on the driving wheels i.e. Front only

Only when greater demand is placed on the braking does the hydraulic system kick in and even then because of the proportional braking setup, it will accentuate the front brakes first before the rears start to act (and is why the rear friction material lasts for ages and there is much less dust residue on the rear wheels).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CPN said:

That's not correct as I understand it. Initial application of the brakes (gentle and progressive) ONLY activates the regenerative braking which means that it only acts on the driving wheels i.e. Front only

Only when greater demand is placed on the braking does the hydraulic system kick in and even then because of the proportional braking setup, it will accentuate the front brakes first before the rears start to act (and is why the rear friction material lasts for ages and there is much less dust residue on the rear wheels).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just now, bathtub tom said:

Sorry, I stand corrected. Initial application of the brakes only activates the regenerative braking. Further pressure activates the rear brakes first, this is necessary to maintain stability. The front brakes will only operate under even further pressure.

• Like 2

I actually agreed with Bob, rear brakes in Toyota hybrid cars kicks in first to create a balance between front and rear axles, and when further more brake pedal is pushed than front brakes will help to slow down or stop the car. I had many Toyota hybrids some since brand new and noticed rear brake pads getting lower first and the rear discs gets lip first too. I am not 100% sure I am correct but make sense to me from what I experienced,  if there are some Toyota engineers here will be great if they happy to share some info about that.

Regards 

• Like 1

Driving the hybrid today for the first time found the brakes need to have a bit of shove compared to  the D4D Auris . They do stop the car well though

Ours are VERY sensitive and took some getting used to.

When ours was in for a service, they lent me a Yaris Hybrid - great! - and the brakes on it were even more sensitive than ours.  I had to have a very light touch on the pedal.

Mick.

• Like 1

Ok, just had a chat with Toyota GB and my local (very knowledgeable seemingly) technician at my local dealer to try and get a definitive answer to this question. In the case of the Yaris Hybrid (and I'm sure probably all Toyota Hybrids), in addition to regenerative braking it also has EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) meaning that the mechanical brake force on any given wheel at any given moment is totally variable controlled by the ECU and driving conditions at the time. So, I asked the question "after regenerative braking and thinking about the transition to the mechanical braking system, could you say that the subsequent further brake force is biased in any way between the front and rear axles?" and the answer was "No, it will be constantly variable across all 4 wheels whilst maintaining the car's balance". I hope this helps.

• Like 1

My main gripe with the Yaris Hybrid is that the 12v Battery goes flat very quickly. If I don’t give it a long run once a week it’s flat. Just gone out today, last used it a week ago, and flat again.  It’s the only car I’ve owned (in 46 years of driving) that runs so flat so quickly. 

Any suggestions as to how I can alleviate this problem? Apart from using the car more! 

• Like 1

Your Battery may need replacing.  My Yaris Hybrid does nearly all short trips round town, less than 5 miles and about 2 to 3 longer trips a month.  Never had any problems with the 12 v Battery.  Have you got anything connected to unswitched 12 volts such as a Dashcam?  This could soon run down the Battery.

• Like 2

Usually the small 12v Battery in hybrid cars are also reliable and when people complain of issues I believe the reason is that owners are leaving something that drains the Battery, maybe keeping the car in accessories mode on or some external source, the interior lights too can cause that or not properly shut doors. or something similar. Auris first gen has a power management and after maximum one hour on ACC mode will automatically shut off the power supply to preserve the Battery life and also displays a message on the dash. Best way to preserve the 12 V battery is to turn interior lights off, make sure your keys are enough away from the car and all your doors, boot and bonnet are properly shut. Always keep the car in ready mode while inside waiting and using any electric consumption, charging phone, listening radio or playing with infotainment. 

Regards 

48 minutes ago, ChrisCPompey said:

My main gripe with the Yaris Hybrid is that the 12v battery goes flat very quickly. If I don’t give it a long run once a week it’s flat. Just gone out today, last used it a week ago, and flat again.  It’s the only car I’ve owned (in 46 years of driving) that runs so flat so quickly. 

Any suggestions as to how I can alleviate this problem? Apart from using the car more! 

You may want to try one of these? It's also on a good deal at the moment and for our infrequently used Yaris, it has proved invaluable and easy to use. Plugs straight into the OBDII socket under the dash (driver's side).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AC1LLQY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81hYIUKtSkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links