Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Hybrid Battery

Eddie G

Thanks for your replies. I’m not quite sure what is meant by accessories mode but I always ensure that all lights are off and even turn the radio off. I don’t even have the lights or wipers set to auto.  I had the Battery checked by the Toyota dealer a few weeks ago and they charged it and said it was fine.  I did think about getting a trickle charger but my car is kept on a north facing drive and is in shade most of the time so it may not get enough light to work effectively.  My former car was a Ford Ka and I never had any problems with that, even after two weeks of non use. 

No extra gizmos like web cam. Only the stuff built in like the satnav, reversing camera, radio, etc. Not even paired my mobile phone. 

1 hour ago, CPN said:

Ok, just had a chat with Toyota GB and my local (very knowledgeable seemingly) technician at my local dealer to try and get a definitive answer to this question. In the case of the Yaris Hybrid (and I'm sure probably all Toyota Hybrids), in addition to regenerative braking it also has EBD (Electronic Brake Distribution) meaning that the mechanical brake force on any given wheel at any given moment is totally variable controlled by the ECU and driving conditions at the time. So, I asked the question "after regenerative braking and thinking about the transition to the mechanical braking system, could you say that the subsequent further brake force is biased in any way between the front and rear axles?" and the answer was "No, it will be constantly variable across all 4 wheels whilst maintaining the car's balance". I hope this helps.

I think you'll find that's only under extreme conditions, when braking could upset the car's control - although I'm prepared to stand corrected. I've experienced Toyota technicians and don't regard the ones I've come across as being any better than 'thick qwick' tyre fitters.

1 hour ago, ChrisCPompey said:

Thanks for your replies. I’m not quite sure what is meant by accessories mode but I always ensure that all lights are off and even turn the radio off. I don’t even have the lights or wipers set to auto.  I had the battery checked by the Toyota dealer a few weeks ago and they charged it and said it was fine.  I did think about getting a trickle charger but my car is kept on a north facing drive and is in shade most of the time so it may not get enough light to work effectively.  My former car was a Ford Ka and I never had any problems with that, even after two weeks of non use. 

No extra gizmos like web cam. Only the stuff built in like the satnav, reversing camera, radio, etc. Not even paired my mobile phone. 

A weak Battery will do that, i suggest you get it checked properly, now the weather is getting colder it will kill a weak Battery,

52 minutes ago, ChrisCPompey said:

I did think about getting a trickle charger but my car is kept on a north facing drive and is in shade most of the time so it may not get enough light to work effectively. 

Like I said in my follow up, it works in ordinary daylight; even shade so North facing is not a problem. I just lay mine on the dash top and the indicator showing that it is active, flashes straight away even on the dullest of days.

45 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

I've experienced Toyota technicians and don't regard the ones I've come across as being any better than 'thick qwick' tyre fitters.

I get what you are saying Bob but like you, I have come across poor Toyota technicians but also good ones. I'm currently fortunate enough to live close to what I consider to be good and reliable ones who don't give you any BS if they don't know the answer but rather they find out from authoritative sources first before responding fully.

50 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

I think you'll find that's only under extreme conditions, when braking could upset the car's control - although I'm prepared to stand corrected.

I did precede my conversation and stressed to him that I didn't want to know about extreme circumstances but rather in normal day to day average use conditions and I am confident that he framed his answer in that regard (after speaking to someone at Toyota GB's Technical Department).

• 1 month later...

Update: I tried the solar charger/maintainer but it didn't work for me. Plugging in to the underdash socket was quite fiddly and didn't feel like a good connection. I've now bought a mains powered one so will see how that does. I did get my dealer to check the Battery and they say it is okay but after a long chat with them they recommended the mains trickle charger/maintainer to keep the Battery happy. Thanks for all your help. I really like my Yaris Hybrid but being retired don't use it as much as I probably should, but then again I am/was afraid that if I went anywhere and stayed for a few days then it might not start so it has put me off a bit. I've not had so much trouble with a car Battery since my Mark 2 Ford Cortina in the 1970's! 

Update: I tried the solar charger/maintainer but it didn't work for me. Plugging in to the underdash socket was quite fiddly and didn't feel like a good connection. I've now bought a mains powered one so will see how that does.

It only feels "fiddly" because Toyota saw fit to mount the OBDII socket on a very "bendy" plate. When you push it up, it does connect properly trust me. As long as the blue led is flashing on the panel, it's working properly and charging the 12V Battery. There's a knack to connecting it one handed which you'll get used to after a while. It really is the most convenient method of charging the Battery without having to tear other things apart. I plug mine in and out on a regular basis because like you, I am retired and don't use the car so much these days so it can be standing idle for a week or more on occasion...

Sent from my Pixel Slate using Tapatalk

If you read the manual, it shows where you can connect jump leads - connections are under the bonnet. This might be an option to use when connecting a trickle charger.

If you're comfortable with leaving the bonnet unlatched when your car is stood outside your house, then yes, it might be an option. My way does the same job with the car fully locked and immobiliser armed. (plus not having to have an outside socket somewhere to plug your charger in...)

Mike J: thanks for your reply, but I know where the connectors are under the bonnet as I've watched the AA man use it several times to get the car going for me.

CPN: I tried the solar panel charger more than once and my Battery was as flat as ever. It was flashing initially but not when I went out to start the car. It might be because I'm in a cul-de-sac, facing north, and the car is parked on my drive close to the house so may not get enough light. Luckily I have a socket in the alley between the house and my garage that I can use. The Toyota service dept suggested getting the mains charger. They had the car for over a week and said the batteries were okay and could not find anything causing an abnormal drain. The garage is used for storage and the entrance is blocked with a stud wall that the prior house owners fitted, and in any case could only really be used for motorcycles, etc. as it was poorly located with an angled drive and would be impossible to use for a car without hitting the boundary wall. However the drive is long enough to take two cars and another on the forecourt so it's not a problem to plug it in. 

Thanks once again for you help. 

Did Toyota properly check the inverter converter for recharging the 12V Battery? This might be the main problems not the Battery itself or the driving style. 

On 11/5/2019 at 5:20 PM, ChrisCPompey said:

CPN: I tried the solar panel charger more than once and my battery was as flat as ever. It was flashing initially but not when I went out to start the car. It might be because I'm in a cul-de-sac, facing north, and the car is parked on my drive close to the house so may not get enough light.

Thanks once again for you help. 

Indeed, facing north would be a major issue Chris! Something I hadn't factored in was that I always reverse into my drive and end up always facing south... (and) You're very welcome.

• 2 years later...
On 9/23/2019 at 3:46 PM, TonyHSD said:

Usually the small 12v Battery in hybrid cars are also reliable and when people complain of issues I believe the reason is that owners are leaving something that drains the Battery, maybe keeping the car in accessories mode on or some external source, the interior lights too can cause that or not properly shut doors. or something similar. Auris first gen has a power management and after maximum one hour on ACC mode will automatically shut off the power supply to preserve the Battery life and also displays a message on the dash. Best way to preserve the 12 V battery is to turn interior lights off, make sure your keys are enough away from the car and all your doors, boot and bonnet are properly shut. Always keep the car in ready mode while inside waiting and using any electric consumption, charging phone, listening radio or playing with infotainment. 

Regards 

What's "ready mode" 

19 minutes ago, Alba said:

What's "ready mode" 

It’s when you start the car and ready to drive., a green light “Ready “ is illuminated on the dashboard. The car is alive, all electronics work and the bigger Battery charges the smaller one, and when the bigger Battery gets discharged the engine starts to recharge it. and all repeats again and again, that’s the magic of self charging hybrids, all you need is petrol in the tank 👍

BED79C5C-EA23-4DBA-BB24-3C4F689BEF1E.jpeg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Alba said:

What's "ready mode" 

Great question, as was the one on Accessory mode earlier. 

Neither were briefed by the dealer when I got my car and I only learned about READY mode from the AA Man who attended when I had a flat Battery

I had a fairly new Battery charger and it was only from Honest John that I learned about float chargers and the CTEK. 

Any EV variant is different from your conventional car and this should be properly briefed by the dealer when you buy a new car.  Second hand buyers should make themselves properly aware. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roy124 said:

Any EV variant is different from your conventional car and this should be properly briefed by the dealer when you buy a new car.  Second hand buyers should make themselves properly aware. 

I think, because the dealer is familiar, or maybe not, with hybrid there's an assumption that a client coming into the dealership will be aware of the nuances of owning a hybrid car. I learned a lot on here, because I had to wait for my car, I thought I'd put the time to good use.

It's true, though, that not once did the dealer talk to me about Ready/Accessory mode.

• Like 1

Stopeter, it is of course analogous to Ignition Light and Gloplug light. 

Of course, over time, that is standard across all cars. 

Do other makers of EV use the same terms such as Ready? 

• Like 1

It is rightfully “Ready” mode because until that light comes on you ain’t going to get anywhere, when the light comes on you are Ready” to slip it into D or R and drive.           
The reason why charging the 12v whilst in Ready mode is now used a lot is because of covid and the less driving people were doing, and when winter 2020 came it really highlighted the problem.          
Since then, it seems some new models have a more serious problem probably not due to covid lack of use ie Gen4 Yaris, CHR etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

Since then, it seems some new models have a more serious problem probably not due to covid lack of use ie Gen4 Yaris, CHR etc. 

What problem is that?

6 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Stopeter, it is of course analogous to Ignition Light and Gloplug light. 

Of course, over time, that is standard across all cars. 

Do other makers of EV use the same terms such as Ready? 

Oh yes, I used a Golf II diesel way back in the day, and if you didn't respect that glow plug light, it would never start - plus where I used it it would get cold enough to turn the diesel into diesel jelly!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

What problem is that?

Just generally some owners are reporting 12v Battery dead for what seems no identifiable reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 12v Battery going flat issue is a common issue with C-HR’s. Many discussions on this topic, however, I firmly believe it’s down to keyless entry system.

The car will keep looking for a key signal and eventually drain Battery. On the C-HR, you can adjust this setting from 5 days to 1 day. Default is 5 days….I’ve adjusted mine to 2 days and had no issue with 12v Battery in 2 years of ownership ( car is now 4-years old ).

Not saying this will fix the issue - especially if car doesn’t have keyless entry. However, I’ve personally found this adjustment works for me.

• Like 1