Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MY20 Corolla announced

Devon Aygo

Thanks for that info, it goes some way to answering my question.

I wonder how many customers have had there orders delayed following the MY20 spec announcement?

On 11/1/2019 at 10:02 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The dropping of the 1.2T, which cost less than the hybrid, will have an effect on list prices.

Its a shame they've dropped it, we had a Corolla 1.2T courtesy car the other week when my wife's Avensis was in for a service and I really liked it. Felt more powerful than my 1.6 Valvematic Auris, although on paper it isn't supposed to be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 4:33 AM, Catlover said:

Darius has not visited this site since 22nd Sept, having only made the one comment. Seems like another that that breezes onto the forum and leaves just as quick.

I’m on the forum as and when I need to - there are other things to do like drive around in my TS!

My issues:

1. bluetooth doesn’t seem to show track information when I’m streaming audio.

2. The volume control knob is on the far side and tuning is near me.  Who thought of the usability of this thing?

3. Zooming in and out of maps - it would have made sense to map the tuning knob or maybe the track controls to allow zooming - I don’t want to have to divert so much attention away from driving to have to pinch and zoom, or worse move that slider with my finger - as I’m driving.  I had a different car before this that had a very useful control knob that meant I could do all these features without having to find various controls and constantly look at the screen to ensure I’m pressing in the right place.

4. E-store - where are all these fabled connectivity apps? Still awaiting licensing?

Primarily it’s from a usability standpoint.

The car itself is lovely.  Great drive, sufficient power and fun.

I don’t agree that features that are available in other markets should be limited to the UK one - give us the ability to add on features and choose what we want to pay for.  The HUD, Android Auto, Power Tailgate, Blind Spot monitoring - the features exist, are built in Derby, but we can’t have them in the UK unless we wait for the MY20 cars... Which is too late for me.

I hope my response wasn’t too breezy for you.

d

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Darcus said:

The volume control knob is on the far side and tuning is near me.  Who thought of the usability of this thing?

The multimedia unit will have been designed for the left hand drive markets within Europe, as these are in the majority. No different to any other manufacturer. 

Another example is that RHD models on sale within Europe, from whichever manufacturer, will also have the wiper, indicator and lighting controls similarly set up for the majority of markets within Europe - ie LHD.

For manufacturers, this reduces production costs, and has been a feature of the European marketplace for at least 25 years.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The multimedia unit will have been designed for the left hand drive markets within Europe, as these are in the majority. No different to any other manufacturer. 

Another example is that RHD models on sale within Europe, from whichever manufacturer, will also have the wiper, indicator and lighting controls similarly set up for the majority of markets within Europe - ie LHD.

For manufacturers, this reduces production costs, and has been a feature of the European marketplace for at least 25 years.

One of my employees has a MY19 Prius. The volume control knob is on the side closest to you. I assume it's because it was not built in the UK...

My last car, a Mercedes, had the volume roller, nearest to me.

The Honda Accord I had before that, had the volume knob closer to me too!

So, it's a peculiar money saving tactic.

From the 21 new cars we've had, the majority have had the power/volume control on the left hand side - including , but not limited to two Corollas, two Primeras, two Mazdas, Honda Civic, two Toyota Auris, two Hyundai i20's, etc. These include models built in Japan, UK, and Turkey.

No different to some cars having the windscreen wipers park alongside the A pillars (eg. some Seats), which saves the manufacturer having to adopt different wipers patterns for left hand drive and right hand drive. 

My Gen4 Prius Excel doesn’t even have a knob, the entertainment screen has a up and down sign to press, though it is near side to driver. However it would be unusual for me to reach for it as I have volume control on the steering wheel, and have had with the last few cars I have owned.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Darcus said:

I’m on the forum as and when I need to - there are other things to do like drive around in my TS!

My issues:

2. The volume control knob is on the far side and tuning is near me.  Who thought of the usability of this thing?

You have a volume control on the steering wheel so I think it makes more sense to have the rotary one where it's more convenient for the passenger. I don't use the radio myself but I'd expect than in DAB mode at least you could move through stations using the track selection buttons on the steering wheel.

It might be worth reading through the manual again as none of the cars I've owned with an infotainment unit required me to take my hands off the wheel for that kind of stuff.

3. Zooming in and out of maps - it would have made sense to map the tuning knob or maybe the track controls to allow zooming - I don’t want to have to divert so much attention away from driving to have to pinch and zoom, or worse move that slider with my finger - as I’m driving.  I had a different car before this that had a very useful control knob that meant I could do all these features without having to find various controls and constantly look at the screen to ensure I’m pressing in the right place.

As long as it's in 2D I find that automatic map zooming works fine. In 3D mode it doesn't seem to auto zoom at all.

4. E-store - where are all these fabled connectivity apps? Still awaiting licensing?

The E-store is crap, plain and simple. Badly designed, badly implemented and best ignored.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Catlover said:

My Gen4 Prius Excel doesn’t even have a knob, the entertainment screen has a up and down sign to press, though it is near side to driver. However it would be unusual for me to reach for it as I have volume control on the steering wheel, and have had with the last few cars I have owned.

What can I say... I love knobs...

8 hours ago, Darcus said:

What can I say... I love knobs...

Lol. My Jazz was entirely touch screen. Even the environmental controls. Pretty much everyone hated that aspect of it.

The map in 3d mode does auto zoom, you need to set it to near, far or off in settings.
It will help if you have the 1530 update so it remembers the setting. It would be nice if it persisted to the main screen.

The knob on the wrong side is annoying is annoying but I hardly use it.

The lack of track information is annoying and I've narrowed that down to phones with android, it works as expected with an iPhone (at least iPhone 8 which is what my wife has).

I contacted Toyota GB support and they said they have no plans to improve the "function". I guess in the android Auto Apple car play update it would be removed.

I guess most of these will be less of an issue if MY19 cars get AA or ACP.
And for you lucky cool kids getting MY20 cars, I'm jealous [emoji23]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just joined forum today, just placed order today for an Excel Touring, do you know if they will be adding the 18in wheels anytime between now and 2020 to the line up? The wheels that come on the hatch as standard.  

They have confirmed the order is for a MY2020 but no delivery date was given, yet.

confirmed Apple play and power lift tailgate.

19 minutes ago, superclarkey said:

Just joined forum today, just placed order today for an Excel Touring, do you know if they will be adding the 18in wheels anytime between now and 2020 to the line up? The wheels that come on the hatch as standard.  

They have confirmed the order is for a MY2020 but no delivery date was given, yet.

confirmed apple play and power lift tailgate.

No the 18" are not coming as you cannot have a Tourer with 18" wheels see

Yeah thanks, got my answer.  Real shame looks great on the forbidden wheels 🙂 

was a bit shocked at lack of colour choice too, would have loved a dark grey metallic.  Went for black in the end. (Look forward to keeping it clean lol)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links