Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D Burgess

D Burgess

I'm not sure about other peoples experiences but just to be warned. I bought a RAV 4 in Dec 2011- directly form the Dealership in Swindon, it was a demo vehicle but the only Auto available at the time but had been fully serviced and about 13,000 on the clock. Shortened story - On my way to work last Monday the car died a thumping occurred and black smoke poured out the back. The garage has now confirmed that the pistons have shot causing catastrophic damage to the engine. So a Diesel vehicle less than 8 years old fully serviced, bought directly from the dealership, parked on a driveway - 1 owner myself - driven approx. 5-6,000 miles a year to and from work and a steady weekend drive - this is rural driving not town or city) total mileage 56,000 to date and the engine has blown. I have spoken with the Toyota dealership in Swindon who would not engage nor were particularly concerned about my situation. They have offered to look at the vehicle If I get it to their garage - but no discussion of recompense. I have to say I loved this vehicle it was reliable, steady and all the things it should have been but if you want a reliable long runner that needs to last more than 56000 miles don't touch the Rav4.

I'm afraid after the response I had this morning and the disruption and cost this is involving to put right I will never buy a Toyota again and will be spreading my story far and wide.

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Shouting removed

You don't say whether the vehicle was serviced within the Toyota dealer network, by an independent or by yourself. Without the dealer seeing the vehicle to assess what has caused the issue, then, as with any dealer, they cannot consider what further action is appropriate.

You say that "the garage has confirmed that the pistons have shot", you later mention that you have spoken to the dealer who offered to look at it if you could get it to them:

1. what does "the pistons have shot" actually mean?

2. it reads like your garage may well not be a Toyota dealer. You can always take it up with Toyota CS direct but if it has been maintained outwith the dealer network you may well have lost "goodwill".

3. You say that you only are doing 5-6,000 miles a year. Depending upon how you acrue that your driving cycle may not be suited to a diesel.

3. In large scale surveys the RAV4 actually does very well for reliability 

EE. On eBay looking at 2011 RAV4 diesel cars for sale. More then a few with miles way above 56k, there are 70k, 80k and above 100k, so maybe yours has some reason as to why it’s faltered at 56k, and until it’s been looked at professionally it is impossible to say what has happened and why.

Not to sound harsh but its a older car and well out of any warranty so any dealership will not be interested - no point  in getting wound up about just move on these things happen for no reason, All marques have there issues with diesels inc bmw what can have catastrophic failures

As for diesels of that age technology has moved on - and that is very low miles for a diesel im suprised it hasn't had to have a dpf regen/replacement, on another contentious point fuel quality may of been a issue has the fuel filter ever been changed ?

you need to find the real cause of the failure, pistons dont just let go - a wild stab in the dark i would say it has suffered with oil dilution due to low miles and constant failed regen's

Imho if your doing less than 20k miles a year, forget diesel its just not worth it when a petrol can return the same mpg,and is cheaper to run and tax

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links