Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Michelin Cross Climate + in 225 45 R17

Rav4ster

Hi guys, Dunlop’s that came with the Auris (2016, facelifted) from the factory are cracking between threads (only after 3.5 years and 25K miles) and I need to replace them.
Dunlop’s are B for wet, E for fuel and 94W XL

Shortlisted these two:
Michelin PILOT SPORT 4  225/45 R17 94W XL   A C 71db
and
Michelin Cross Climate + 225/45 R17 94W XL  (All Season)  B C 69db

I had CC+ on the Prius before and they worked very well.

I also had PS4S on the performance car and they were great (was not concerned with fuel economy or tyre life) My first though was to buy CC+ again, but then I went to Costco and checked the prices for four tyres and now have the dilemma: PS4 x4 are £233 fitted and CC+ x4 are £320 fitted.
So, does anyone has the experience of running PS4 on Toyota / Lexus hybrids? How they performed in colder weather? Did they last 30K+ miles.
Fully understand that tyre wear is subjective and heavily depends on the driving style, but Auris is driven in the relaxed manner to achieve best possible mpg, but at the same time keeping up with traffic.

Hi,

you can’t co wrong with either of them as Michelins are probably the best tyres. For uk climate I personally will choose CC as they are safe to drive in winter conditions where PS4 will be dangerous if there are some snow and ice on the road. Black circles are running 15% off today on Michelin tyres with code Mich15 you may want to check that too. All season tyres especially the CC and there are coming very similar looking tyres from other brands getting popular and more and more people switch to them for a good reason. There are brand new model from Hankook - Optimal 4S 2 they look almost the same as the Cross Climate but way cheaper. 

Regards 

Thank you for pointing out Hankook’s, but they are not as available as Michelin’s.
To be honest I am leaning towards the CC+. They served the Prius well for 3 years. Not as good as PS4 in dry and wet in summer, but then Auris is not driven hard. Also, from experience, PS4 need to warm up first, to achieve top performance and CC+ were more forgiving.  Part of me is looking for the additional reason to save £90, but without compromising safety.

Cc are soft and don’t last as long. Personally I would go for the primacy 4 

less road noise. Good in the wet and the heat. 

Ok not as good in snow but the way I look at it is rather not drive In the level of snow they are good at. 

Yeah you have grip and stopping power but it’s everyone else that doesn’t have descent tyres driving about that will crash into you. 

8 hours ago, Kineticsteve said:

Cc are soft and don’t last as long. Personally I would go for the primacy 4 

less road noise. Good in the wet and the heat. 

Ok not as good in snow but the way I look at it is rather not drive In the level of snow they are good at. 

Yeah you have grip and stopping power but it’s everyone else that doesn’t have descent tyres driving about that will crash into you. 

I had Crossclimates on my Auris 1.6 and after 45k of relatively hard driving they still had 3mm of tread on them. I only changed them at that mileage as the two fronts had unrepairable punctures. Best wearing tyres I've used, even compared to other Michelins.

• Like 1

Hi guys.
Have to disagree about CC+ being too soft, done just over 30k on the Prius and with rotating them on every service, they all had 5+ mm of thread left.
My mate has Primacy 4 and always complains that they are very slippery in cold (around and below freezing temp) even in dry, hence me asking about the PS4 experience, especially in winter time.

• Like 1

Any summer tyre in temperatures below 7c degrees will become harder and loose grip capabilities on any surface. Recent climate changes should also be considered, in the past few decades climate been relatively mild and wet through out the year but in the last 8 years we witnessed heat waves in the summer plus cold freezing temperatures and snow in the winter, weather is getting more extreme so all season tyres are becoming more suitable for our region. In Canada many manufacturers sells their new cars with all season tyres as oem fitted, make sense right. I will never buy a UHP tyres and fit them to a Prius or similar car, those cars are “ cold” cars, it’s all about energy recovery, heat and fuel efficiency, so tyres are part of the whole “green and efficient “ process. These cars are designed for easy and relaxing driving, components like brakes and tyres barely gets hot unless mad style driving been done. For drivers doing 10k miles or less per annum All season tyres are the best option without doubt. I do 5 times more and I have separate summer and winter sets of tyres, economically and safer in my case. The problem with summer tyres in winter conditions is not because they are not as good, but they are simply DANGEROUS. If more people prepare themselves better for the cold days there will be less comical situations on the uk roads. 

• Like 1

TonyHSD, agree with your comments and will be buying CC+, have no space to store an extra set of wheels and tyres for summer / winter combo.

• Like 1

Hi Andy.

Please open the link below, it may influence your in my opinion very good decision as I am very alert when it comes to tyres.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Best+tyres+available+for+a+ToyotaAuris&oq=Best+tyres+available+for+a+ToyotaAuris&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.33774j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Regards, Mike.

I fitted cross climates to my previous car (Ford Focus) and they were brilliant in the snow (I live on the outskirts of Sheffield in the hills) and they got me out and about when most other cars (including 4 x 4's) were getting stuck.

So when my Auris needed tyres I went with Cross Climates again.  We didn't get snow last year so can't comment on how the Auris performs in snow being automatic but they are certainly quieter than the previous tyres they replaced (Not sure what make but they had been on since the car was new).

Not sure if you have a Costco near you but they have £100 off 4 Michelins or £50 off 2 at the moment.

I paid £231 for 4 tyres when I had them fitted last year

on my previous lexus IS300h i had CC's fitted after approx 18000 miles they where approaching half worn

would buy them again without thinking twice.

quiet & grippy tyre no rear end being tail happy.

Well from what everyone is saying maybe I’ll give them another go. To be far tho I’ve not put them on my Auris.