Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling / Rambling noise from underneath Car/Driver

roks

Hi All,

I started the car this morning for the school run and I am greeted with this noise that appears to be from the exhaust. When I got out to inspect, the noise does not see tat bad at all. Wiggled the exhaust box and it seems securly on and its not metal tin noise that a heat shield would make. Did the school run and the noise seem a bit suttle and only evident when pulling away.

This evening, When I got home, I started the car, noise is quite loud from inside the car, less loud from the outside but still there and bit loder than this morning. No noise if i drive, only when sat idle.

I am fearing the CAT has crumbled in side?

Engine.m4a

Edited by roks
Add sound file

It could be a rusted bolt/s on the heat shield, all the exhaust on my Corolla is stainless EXCEPT the bolts on the heat shield AND the nuts on the gas analyser!  My shield bolts rusted away one at a time, and each time the shield made a muffled noise, I replaced the bolts with stainless bolts, and am waiting for the fourth bolt to rust away completely.  I couldn't see any way to remove all the bolts before they had rusted away, without damaging the shield.

I hope you are corrent OD, I just cant be asked to do anything more than replacing some bolts.

I'll have put it on jack stands and have a proper look under. The noise is most prmonent with the doors closed, sat in the drivers seat.

I beleive I have found the source or cause of the noise, looks like the rubber hanger on the back box has gave way? The pipe was rest/rubbing on the middle brace?

I wedged a piece of wood wrapped ib kitchen foil to stop the wood catching fire. 

As I type this msg, I realised I could have used some wire to wrap round the failed hanger.

20190920_190330.jpg

20190920_190337.jpg

20190920_190136.jpg

Although I understand why you wrapped the wood in kitchen foil, not sure it's a good idea except as a "get you home a short distance" temporary fix.  The foil, being metal, will conduct the heat to the wood, albeit more slowly than no foil at all, so there's still a fire risk.

If it's difficult/expensive going to Toyota, then I expect you'd find a suitable hanger from an exhaust factor/supplier

Thanks guys, all sorted now, with proper rubber hangers.

That MacGyver fix was going to be for short journey but I had 2nd thoughts and decided to fix it properly before I set off.