Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota hybrid hatch 1.8 front suspension noise over bumps

Roman.k

Hello

Toyota hybrid hatch 1.8 front suspension noise over bumps

I have just received my new Toyota corolla hatchback hybrid 1.8.

After taking a side road with speed bumps I have noticed clicking creaking noise, it seems to be coming from the left side.

The car drives well but the noise is annoying and sometimes I can feel it on the steering wheel.

Took the car to the dealership but surprisingly they said “OK we can hear the noise but  we don’t know where is it coming from, may be it is a stabilizer but we are not sure”.

They even tried telling me that NEW Toyota hatch has electronic regulated suspension and this is the normal noise…  

Anyone else experienced  some abnormal sound from the suspension while driving over bumps ?

No such noise from my Corolla. Most golf courses seem to have speed bumps on their driveways and I've never noticed any strange noises driving over them. And since I'm usually driving on Battery at that point it's not like the engine could drown the noise out.

We have loads of speed bumps in my area, different types and heights, but I don't think I've heard my suspension clicking or creaking. So I would say it's not a "normal noise" as the dealer seem to be claiming. But as it's a new car maybe it's something that will bed in and settle down with a few miles under its belt. It does sound annoying, though. 

I have 2.0 Hybrid Hatch, since May. Been in Devon lanes, over speed bumps, last weekend drove into field at air show to park, fairly bumpy. No noise from suspension. I think dealer is pulling wool over eyes, no electronic suspension. I think in the States, there is an electronic dampener available as an extra, but we don't get it here.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all thank you for the your comments I have some update on the issue of suspension noise.  
Finally dealerships has reinstalled the anti roll bar and greased the bushings and the noise over bumps has gone. So from my understanding the reason of the noise was tight bushings on the anti roll bar. 
Now I have a slight clink noise when going through roundabout and it seems like the noise before but much more silent. 
Can it be that over time the bushings will wear out and be more silent ?? See attached picture of greased bushings that I pictured right after taking the car from the dealer. 

A50C56DE-BF73-4162-B50A-2270123AB9F8.jpeg

8D1F63AC-0412-42A2-BF0F-A99398252356.jpeg

Hi, 

usually there is no movement between the stabiliser bar and the bushes while suspension travel up and down but only flexing, if there is a movement that means that the rubber bushes or the bar are worn out and needs replacement, or the nuts have not been torqued to the spec or the bushes have not been properly pre loaded, and they also will stop do what actually they have to do and the car will become more unstable in turns at higher speeds and you may get noises while driving over bumps. Stabiliser bar bushes have special coating that helps bed in with the bar and prevent noises in case of any movement occur. Lubrications only to point something is wrong with them but it is not a permanent problem solvent. 

• Like 1

Hi Tony

Thank you for your comments, the car is brand new and I don’t think that something is worn. 

By the way now after they have applied bushings greasing the noise almost completely gone, now when car is changing the direction I can hear a deep knock in the suspension but it is not so loud as it was before and no sound at all when traveling over speed bumps.   

The noise was obvious on front left end of the car and the dealer has mentioned that the they replaced left shock but it didn’t solve the noise. 
What I think is happened that anti roll link is making this noise and they somehow resolved it when reinstalled the left shock and mistakenly  think that greasing the bushings is the solution. 
Will see what happens next if the noise will increase again. 
Do you think that anti roll link can make such deep knocking sounds ?

Hi, well I can’t tell exactly what make the noise as this needs to be physically checked , garage technicians should be able to do so, I know it’s a new car and that’s why it’s really a strange thing happen. If everything is all checked and fixed maybe just give it some time and the things may get settled by themselves or will get worsen so might be easier to point the problem. If you don’t trust 100% the garage you go, maybe next time visit another Toyota garage and hopefully there will be someone there that knows more about these cars. 
Regards 

• 1 year later...
35 minutes ago, Stuey1 said:

Hi my 2019 at 17k has started doing it as well

Hi, 

can you record the noise with the phone and post a video so we can see and hear the noises, any possible clicking from steering wheel column while driving over uneven roads? 

There is a Technical service bulletin from Toyota:

CP-00498T-TME

Subject: Abnormal Noise During Driving Stabilizer Bar

Area of Application: All Markets

Models – Model Codes: Corolla - MZEH12, NRE210, ZWE211 ;

Description of the phenomenon: Some customers may experience and report knocking noise from front stabilizer bar when driving over speed bumps, potholes or when driving on bad roads. Noise is caused by Bush, front stabilizer bar interference with the body when driving in the defined conditions. No production change. Parts improvement as below described, is available as customer satisfaction solution.

Applicable Body Styles: Only the below mentioned vehicles and body styles are applicable for customer satisfaction solution
image.thumb.png.e56bdc9d364f79b18ddc7c6b8774ddba.png
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:11 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

can you record the noise with the phone and post a video so we can see and hear the noises, any possible clicking from steering wheel column while driving over uneven roads? 

On 9/10/2021 at 8:34 PM, Stuey1 said:

SeeOk my lower arms are creeking they luv them but I see there's a USA tsb for lower arms front the rear bushes are updated I have ask Toyota UK about this so it's still knocking not creeking guess tsb on rollbar I have ask them on mine waiting for a reply then back to the dealer with the info,...,so creeking on flat surface turn left to right creeks loud as u get to full lock,,,rear arm bushes they Toyota lub them I have used a water proof bike lub PTFE around them to see if it work lasts

Car back to the dealer ,so seems they could be doing the tsb roll bar ordered parts ,see if if cures knock and the creek will update

Modified bushes bolts and brackets so I,m told,,,,,,so far no noise that's both noise creek and knock .....

DSC_0222.JPG

23 minutes ago, Stuey1 said:

Modified bushes bolts and brackets so I,m told,,,,,,so far no noise that's both noise creek and knock .....

DSC_0222.JPG

It seems like there is a red rubber grease applied on them, originally there is no lubricant there. At least you don’t have any noises anymore. 👍

• 1 year later...

Hi,just received my Corolla Cross end April 2023,and have a loud noise from the right and side of the suspension and somitimes on both sides when passing humps or bad roads.

The supplier informed me that SA dealers are well informed of this issue and some clients are not happy and will send some parts to stop the noise !!!!!

Did someone else had the same issue

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue too. Dealer changed stabilizer bars on both sides and issue was gone....for few months! Then the sound came back, I recorded it for thw dealer and they'll replace them this week again. But what I investigated - it's purely depending on weather - when outside is cold (3 degrees celsius), I barely hear that noise...when it's zero outside, it's louder, and when was -3 or less, it was so noisy that pedestrians noticed it! :-) It looks like metallic part inside plastic bushings is slightly changing it's diameter and that's enough for that sound. I don't know...my warranty ends in November and when the sound come back, I'll order stab bars from different manufacturer. From my experience, new (even aftermarket) stab bars should least 2 to 4 years...depends on driving conditions. I changed them few times on my previous cars so I have "some" experience with that

Update - dealer replaced stab bars today and issue is gone. Hopefully ot will least few years, not only few months!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links