Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 2019 Rav4 rattle annoying!

Rav Rob

Love my new car, its awesome on the motorway having clocked up the first 1100 miles effortlessly..

But one fly in the ointment is it has a interior rattling noise, it only really shows on roads with a poor grainy surface causing some vibration, at some speeds it really resonates.

Its impossible to pin down driving as it seems to be front passenger area, so I need to do some test drives with the wife at the wheel so I can try and narrow the area from the passenger seat.

If I can't resolve it, I will be sending it in for repair, slight disappointment, you don't expect that on a new £37K car, and not on a Japanese one especially!

Hi Rob - I had this on my Lexus NX and after a lot of time, effort, unseemly words and hair pulling, I found it was the plastic cover over the seatbelt nut which secures the passenger seatbelt to the body of the car. I removed the cover and stuck a little felt with double sided tape to the inside of the cover. Guess what? Never bothered me since.

I’m not saying this is the cure for the RAV4, but it might save you some time and hair pulling if it is.

Good luck!

No noises in that area as yet. I did have to take out the jack handle and wheel spanner from the spare tyre well and wrap them in rag.

I had an annoying rattle which turned out to be the bonnet support arm not having been clipped back in properly.. Presumably on pdi as I didn't lift it until looking for the source... All good now.. Love the near silent exit and return from home particularly when called out late.... 

On 9/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, Ezcritique said:

I had an annoying rattle which turned out to be the bonnet support arm not having been clipped back in properly.. Presumably on pdi as I didn't lift it until looking for the source... All good now.. Love the near silent exit and return from home particularly when called out late.... 

Thanks I will take a look in the morning... tried taping up seatbelt mount and putting sticky felt pads to make the glove box lid more secure, no joy yet.

I Will get the wife to drive and try to narrow it down at weekend, its difficult as its only on some roads and speeds (but quite a lot) .. its a buzzy resonating noise, I just need to be sure its nothing I have added then I will be onto the lease company to get it fixed.

I’ve also got a similar noise coming from the passenger side. Had wife and children trying to find it and at one point narrowed it down to seatbelt area or the clip for the rear seats. Can’t trace it or stop it, so let me know if you do manage it 

5 hours ago, Malop said:

I’ve also got a similar noise coming from the passenger side. Had wife and children trying to find it and at one point narrowed it down to seatbelt area or the clip for the rear seats. Can’t trace it or stop it, so let me know if you do manage it 

Likewise!

to me it sounds like dash area but sound can bounce from anywhere so keeping open mind.. wondering about the mat fitted to the dash shelf, will investigate.. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've identified 2 noises, one is a stupid design flaw.

1 - The sunglasses holder is not padded enough so glasses move when driving and you can hear them tapping away. It took me a good week or so to track it down.

2 - The driver seatbelt box thing makes a slight noise, moving it down and up stops it for a short while but it keeps returning.

On 9/17/2019 at 5:59 PM, zoot48 said:

Hi Rob - I had this on my Lexus NX and after a lot of time, effort, unseemly words and hair pulling, I found it was the plastic cover over the seatbelt nut which secures the passenger seatbelt to the body of the car. I removed the cover and stuck a little felt with double sided tape to the inside of the cover. Guess what? Never bothered me since.

I’m not saying this is the cure for the RAV4, but it might save you some time and hair pulling if it is.

Good luck!

YES!

2 hours ago, Southern Softy said:

Sunglasses holder , must have missed that ! how does it open ?

The compartment near the rearview mirror, just push it in and it will open.

2 hours ago, Alan1234 said:

Are you sure it's not the nut holding the wheel 😂

That's also a real possibility. 😜

• Like 1

Not the seat belt area for me, or the mat trims. My wife thought it was coming from the glovebox and stuff in it. So I removed the glovebox and left it at home (quite easy to remove). Still rattles.

Sounds like its in the dash for sure. with the glovebox off you can only see up inside a bit, nothing looked/felt loose. There is a flimsy looking linkage I think for a motorised flap in the ventilation, I don't want to dismantle any more as above here your in the airbag territory.

On the plus side, wireless phone charger arrived, fits nicely in the cubby and working well. Because Toyota were to stingy in the UK, comes built into USA cars!.

HTB1XR0LbHys3KVjSZFnq6xFzpXa0.jpg

Hi Rav Rob have you got a link for that wireless charger please thanks 

21 minutes ago, Buff69 said:

Hi Rav Rob have you got a link for that wireless charger please thanks 

Yes. direct from China for less than £10 delivered. Its rubber and grippy with a rim so the phone doesn't slide off. Plugged in the armrest USB outlet currently and sits nicely sideways in the cubby under the controls.

I use (and have used) Aliexpress for many years with little issue for hundreds of items, stuff just takes a while to come typically 2 to 4 weeks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33034382610.html

You know that is also shipped from China? a lot of market sellers on Amazon and eBay are China sellers now..

I use Aliexpress because it has built in protections, until you confirm delivery, the seller doesn't get paid and the customer service has always sided with me the buyer more often than Ebay's has (they always seem to pander to large sellers)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Daniel,

I have the 360 degree camera so do not have the sunglasses holder ☹️

3 hours ago, Southern Softy said:

Daniel,

I have the 360 degree camera so do not have the sunglasses holder ☹️

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it. 😪

• 10 months later...

Hi, I have had my lovely new Rav 4 for a week, delivered with 14 miles on the clock, and seem to have a similar rattle coming from passenger side. Did you find the culprit afterwards? Thanks.

What I thought was excessive rear suspension noise turned out to be the toolkit that was loose next to the spare wheel. I have since secured this using a hook attached with 3M VHB tape and a small bungee. My Skoda Superb had awful rear suspension noises (needed new links every 10k, as well as 1L of oil every 2k - no more VAG for me!) and didn't want to go through this again - phew.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links