Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2019 Rav4 rattle annoying!

Rav Rob

On 9/29/2019 at 11:54 PM, DanielC said:

The compartment near the rearview mirror, just push it in and it will open.

Not all models have the sunglasses holder - I do miss it, my previous Prius had this, and so did the Dynamic model demonstrator I had for a couple of days before I ordered.

Mine has the JCV/PVM (audio/360° camera) option, maybe that's the reason (the Dynamic had the standard audio package, which sounded just as good to me - I didn't care about the JCV upgrade, but I really wanted the 4-camera system - and it's truly awesome, despite the 1980s quality of the infotainment and dash screens).

On 8/5/2020 at 6:46 AM, GaryLD said:

Hi, I have had my lovely new Rav 4 for a week, delivered with 14 miles on the clock, and seem to have a similar rattle coming from passenger side. Did you find the culprit afterwards? Thanks.

Afraid not, took as much apart as I could but never found anything. On certain road course surfaces at lower speed its a quite a loud 'buzzy' noise. Very annoying. I have resigned to live with it as the lease is only 24 months and I am nearly half way. I can't imagine getting a dealer interested in finding the problem, even if I could demonstrate it. It has put me off buying a Toyota again though, first car I had in many years with such a quality problem

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Afraid not, took as much apart as I could but never found anything. On certain road course surfaces at lower speed its a quite a loud 'buzzy' noise. Very annoying. I have resigned to live with it as the lease is only 24 months and I am nearly half way. I can't imagine getting a dealer interested in finding the problem, even if I could demonstrate it. It has put me off buying a Toyota again though, first car I had in many years with such a quality problem

Thanks Rob, I'll keep looking. My last car had an annoying rattle, took me a while, but I narrowed it down to a circular piece of plastic trim around the speedo on the dash. Hopefully I'll find this one soon, drives me nuts. Cheers.

8 hours ago, GaryLD said:

Thanks Rob, I'll keep looking. My last car had an annoying rattle, took me a while, but I narrowed it down to a circular piece of plastic trim around the speedo on the dash. Hopefully I'll find this one soon, drives me nuts. Cheers.

Good luck!

On 8/9/2020 at 2:30 PM, Rav Rob said:

Good luck!

It looks like it is the flaming sunglasses holder by the rearview mirror. Glad I found it was that, phew, can enjoy driving again now. 

1 hour ago, GaryLD said:

It looks like it is the flaming sunglasses holder by the rearview mirror. Glad I found it was that, phew, can enjoy driving again now. 

Lucky you! mine is way into the dash for sure. Glad you will have peace, when mine is not on rough surfaces, the sublime peace of the drive in general is one of its most winning attributes.

I have one in the dash as well, emptied the glass holder and door bins, but rattle is still there. Still trying to locate it. Also happens on the rough road surfaces only.

After weeks of a rattle which I eventually thought was around the dash area, I discovered it was in the headlining. I discovered this by inserting a finger into the gap between the headlining and the windscreen and hey presto the rattle disappeared. The wire from my Blackvue Dashcam GPS module runs along from the windscreen top rhs to the plastic cover behind the rear view mirror. I wrapped the wire in kitchen paper but the rattle (greatly less) was still there. After using the same method with the roof lining at the plastic cover the rattle stopped. As I don’t want to tamper with the cover the car is booked into the dealership on Thursday for them to sort.

I’ll let you know what the outcome is.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but it is the only way I could explain it.

I took the RAV4 to the dealership on Thursday as arranged and showed them the area where I thought the rattle was coming from and also the wire I had wrapped in kitchen paper. The technician test drove the car and heard the rattle in the area I had indicated. (thank goodness as these things have a habit of disappearing when they test drive the car) Seemingly it was in the area around the cover on the windscreen behind the rear view mirror and the cover or a wire needed to be re-stuck.

On the drive home, around 40 miles, the rattle had disappeared. Let’s hope it doesn’t re-appear!

Hope this has been of assistance for an area to investigate whilst appreciating all rattles will not be relevant to my exact cause.

• Thanks 1

wondering how you got on with this. Mine now 8 weeks since delivery and some really nasty rattles. One exactly as you describe, although from drivers side and another constant ticking on drivers at lower speeds on fairly smooth road surfaces. It's going in for a strip down investigation in a couple of weeks.  Workshop have helpfully said that they might make it worse!! - so lots of confidence there!!! 

On 8/27/2020 at 5:15 PM, johncv said:

wondering how you got on with this. Mine now 8 weeks since delivery and some really nasty rattles. One exactly as you describe, although from drivers side and another constant ticking on drivers at lower speeds on fairly smooth road surfaces. It's going in for a strip down investigation in a couple of weeks.  Workshop have helpfully said that they might make it worse!! - so lots of confidence there!!! 

I have resigned to live with it. Toyota's are sturdy and enviably reliable, but IMHO not as well engineered as say a Honda.

• Like 1

Just had a thought - check the sliding mirror covers on the sun visors are shut.

I found one was slightly open and caused a rattle once.

I had this issue on my 2015 Auris hybrid and it was driving me mad. It would only rattle in the rain and my Toyota dealership couldn't recognize where it was coming from. I took it to another Toyota dealership and within 5 minutes they realized a bolt was loose near the brakes.

2019 Rav 4  4500 on clock

I also have an annoying Clicking noise which seems to be coming from the drivers side in way of the foot well or front area under the dash. It occurs when I go over speed bumps or uneven ground but only when the suspension on the drivers side is uneven. A level car going over rough road conditions does not coubik the noise.

I had it back to the dealers and they said they had traced it to the heater box and it was removed and re-fitted using better securing and padding. The noise was back again almost immediately. Has anyone had this noise it is driving me crazy its not what you expect from Toyota this is my 4th RAV and no had no problems with previous cars.  

I had a rattle that I thought was coming from the Seatbelt housing at the top of the B-pillar, was driving me mad.
Turned out to be my tin of sweets in the cubby hole to the right of the dash rattling when it was nearly empty...
Amazing how sound can present itself in completely different location to where it actually is.

• Haha 2

• 8 months later...

Found the rear compartment rattle in my new 2021 Hybrid Rav4. The rear hatch is not closing tightly enough - the lock at the bottom of the door is rattling on the D shaped anchor mounted at the closing point. Found this by placing a foam sponge next to the lock and closing the hatch. Rattle gone!! Have booked my car in at the dealership to have the door closing adjusted. Hope that they can adjust the position of the D shaped closing latch, as this car has only 1500 km on the clock and cost A$44,000!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rav4 2019 I have the same problem. A rattle type noise in the passenger side door. I'm still trying to find it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know as its driving me mad!

• 1 month later...

I also have an annoying  rattle on my 2019 Rav 4 - sounds like drivers side, below dashboard.  May have tracked it to windscreen washer tube, which moves slightly, against metal, in a couple of places. My husband is sticking small foam bits where it touches - will update!

• 2 months later...

Hi Sandra - did you get the rattle sorted?

On 7/16/2021 at 11:52 AM, Sandra H said:

I also have an annoying  rattle on my 2019 Rav 4 - sounds like drivers side, below dashboard.  May have tracked it to windscreen washer tube, which moves slightly, against metal, in a couple of places. My husband is sticking small foam bits where it touches - will update!

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2019 at 5:03 PM, Rav Rob said:

Thanks I will take a look in the morning... tried taping up seatbelt mount and putting sticky felt pads to make the glove box lid more secure, no joy yet.

I Will get the wife to drive and try to narrow it down at weekend, its difficult as its only on some roads and speeds (but quite a lot) .. its a buzzy resonating noise, I just need to be sure its nothing I have added then I will be onto the lease company to get it fixed.

On 9/19/2019 at 5:03 PM, Rav Rob said:

Thanks I will take a look in the morning... tried taping up seatbelt mount and putting sticky felt pads to make the glove box lid more secure, no joy yet.

I Will get the wife to drive and try to narrow it down at weekend, its difficult as its only on some roads and speeds (but quite a lot) .. its a buzzy resonating noise, I just need to be sure its nothing I have added then I will be onto the lease company to get it fixed.

It’s the rear underside of the bumper, there’s two plastic pins holding it in place. If you wiggle them you will find the noise. The plans are very loose and once going down the road and wind begins to hit rear bottom black part of bumper from under side of car the noise will start! I just took nylon string and tied it around each one between the cap of pin and bottom part of bumper that the pins holding it too the frame of car, made a couple of wraps then tied tight knot, just to try out. Went ride and noise was gone, now that I found it I will cut off the plastic pin and insert a nut n bolt n lock washer! 

• 1 month later...

Nosie is coming from wireless charging tray/tray with USB port and the bridging plastic where connected to. If you push the plastic forward then noise will be gone when you are driving on rough surface. That bridging plastic is part of one large piece which you will see the whole thing once you remove gear selector, driving mode panel and the tray. Also plastic softness can changes due to temperature sometimes you hear less when it is hot. Toyota should make simple design change to solve this very annoying issue but it is going to cost big money so less likely Toyota even will admit their mistakes. Tapes will reduce chance of noise but noise can come & go. My dealer tried tapes and they also said some overseas markets have tray replacement part such as Canada which US market cars built there. Mine is Japanese but they all use the same parts I guess.

Hi

I had a vibrating noise around the lower dash area.Turned out after a lot of hassle to be the cable that I had run from the cigar lighter across and behind the plastic covering below the steering wheel and up the pillar and behind the headlining across to the rear view mirror to feed the dash cam!
These wires are hard plastic and gradually settle against the panels within the car.And vibrate!!!!

Acquired  soft rubber tubing and sheathed the wire!! A very annoying problem solved but of my own doing🙄🙄

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Rattle from the glove box area when driving on the rough surface, anyone? It's rattling when the glove box is closed, but no rattle when open. Can't figure out what part is causing that 🤔

Assume you’ve tried it with nothing in the box? In the past I’ve started, on others cars by gaming the lid with a few layers of paper to eliminate the lid not closing properly.

I never did find my rattle although plenty of people found their own ones, all different. I put it down to it  being one of the early 2019's built.

My (late) 2021 has not a single rattle anywhere so I suspect build improved or the odd tweak in tying things down as often happen during a cars life.