Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 TS set of alloy wheels and tires for the winter

vjekan

Hi everyone!

I have the 2019 Corolla TS 2.0 hybrid and the current wheels and tires are 225/40R18. Since winter will be here pretty soon, I want to be prepared on time and I started looking into new set of alloy wheels and tires.

1. What wheel size should I go for the winter set? Should it also be 18" or should I go with 17"? Other dimensions I see on the Corolla brochure are 205/55R16, 225/45R17

2. White tires to go for? What brand and which models are best for Corolla?

3. Does anyone have link to good alloy wheels and tires shops? I'm located in Croatia and it would be good if the shop would be nearby or if they ship to Croatia.

As for the price point, I'm not looking for the most expensive options but I would like a quality set that will not affect ride quality.

Toyota's winter wheel offering is a set of Black 16" steel wheels to be combined with 205/55R16 Winter tyres:

Wheels PW457-02009-SB

Nuts 20 x 90942-01007 

Hi everyone!
I have the 2019 Corolla TS 2.0 hybrid and the current wheels and tires are 225/40R18. Since winter will be here pretty soon, I want to be prepared on time and I started looking into new set of alloy wheels and tires.

1. What wheel size should I go for the winter set? Should it also be 18" or should I go with 17"? Other dimensions I see on the Corolla brochure are 205/55R16, 225/45R17
2. White tires to go for? What brand and which models are best for Corolla?
3. Does anyone have link to good alloy wheels and tires shops? I'm located in Croatia and it would be good if the shop would be nearby or if they ship to Croatia.

As for the price point, I'm not looking for the most expensive options but I would like a quality set that will not affect ride quality.
Hi buddy, personally I'd go for 16"(should be better fuel economy, bit quieter), but 17" should be fine as well. Definitely don't get 18" for winter.
As for rims, I think I'm getting https://www.elektrony.sk/brock-rc30-farba-sg-cierny-lesk-7-16-592958

Don't look at complex designs, look at simple ones with 4-5 beams, it's much better for maintenance.
All good mainstream brands should be suitable for winter as well, but double check with seller if in doubt.
Good sellers should be able to confirm compatibility with car/model.

As for tires, according to Czech/Slovak independent testing agency these were best rated 16" winter tires compatible with Corolla:

Don't look at cheapest options, your car is sitting on these four wheels. You can get pretty good quality for reasonable price, do research, read some reviews and decide what suits you best (do you have snow, below zero temperatures or just wet winters?).

And don't forget you'd need tpms as well.5ddbebbb579be2443b3b4d13bd21bbb6.jpg

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Devon Aygo said:

Toyota's winter wheel offering is a set of Black 16" steel wheels to be combined with 205/55R16 W:

Wheels PW457-02009-SB

Nuts 20 x 90942-01007 

Does that mean it's not "legal" to put 17" wheels for winter?

Not sure what are the legal requirements in Croatia, here in Slovakia I have these sizes legally allowed:

225/40R18 92W
18X8J ET40 C1 C

205/55R16 91V
16x7J ET40

225/45R17 91W
17X7 1/2J ET40

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Fake_Empire said:

Don't look at cheapest options, your car is sitting on these four wheels. You can get pretty good quality for reasonable price, do research, read some reviews and decide what suits you best (do you have snow, below zero temperatures or just wet winters?).

And don't forget you'd need tpms as well.

We have snow, sub zero temperatures here in Croatia since I'm located at the most northern part. Also, a lot of salt on the roads during the winter months.

What exactly is tpms? I assume tire pressure monitoring system? 

How does that affect the choice? Does the tire have to be specifically designed for that?

36 minutes ago, vjekan said:

We have snow, sub zero temperatures here in Croatia since I'm located at the most northern part. Also, a lot of salt on the roads during the winter months.

What exactly is tpms? I assume tire pressure monitoring system? 

How does that affect the choice? Does the tire have to be specifically designed for that?

Each of your original wheels have a pressure sensor installed you will have to either swap these sensors into your winter wheels or buy a second set of sensors and have them added to the cars TPMS ecu otherwise you will have a TPMS warning light on 

It was posted elsewhere on here that it's not a great idea to pair aluminium bodied TPMS sensors with steel wheels, because of the risk of differential corrosion.  Personally I'd go with 16" alloys.  In the UK I'd look at https://www.oponeo.co.uk, who, I'm sure, operate in Europe too.  As to tyres, Nokian are a reasonable and not too expensive brand, but  http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk has lots of tests and info.

ETA: Re TPMS, if you don't want to swap the TPMS valves over, or get your dealer to code the winter wheel ones to the car, and back again in summer, then it would be worth investing in one of the devices available to clone TPMS sensors, so both sets of wheels have the same codes.  Autel do a TS401 that will do the job (no need to reprogramme the ECU) plus their own sensors at around €25 each.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Each of your original wheels have a pressure sensor installed you will have to either swap these sensors into your winter wheels or buy a second set of sensors and have them added to the cars TPMS ecu otherwise you will have a TPMS warning light on 

HI, slightly OT, but can you tell us the specs for the rims on the new Corolla - PCD, and width/ET for the 16", 17" and 18" offerings please?

On 9/18/2019 at 7:38 AM, rafletcher said:

It was posted elsewhere on here that it's not a great idea to pair aluminium bodied TPMS sensors with steel wheels, because of the risk of differential corrosion.  Personally I'd go with 16" alloys.  In the UK I'd look at https://www.oponeo.co.uk, who, I'm sure, operate in Europe too.  As to tyres, Nokian are a reasonable and not too expensive brand, but  http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk has lots of tests and info.

ETA: Re TPMS, if you don't want to swap the TPMS valves over, or get your dealer to code the winter wheel ones to the car, and back again in summer, then it would be worth investing in one of the devices available to clone TPMS sensors, so both sets of wheels have the same codes.  Autel do a TS401 that will do the job (no need to reprogramme the ECU) plus their own sensors at around €25 each.  

Seems both I (and my supplying dealer) were incorrect, if the Owners Manual I downloaded is correct (based on the VIN number and using "MyToyota"). In section 7.3 on pages 571/572 there is a section headed "Selecting wheel set (vehicles with a tire (sic) pressure monitoring system)  Your vehicle is equipped with tire pressure warning system with the function to have ID codes registered for a second wheel set, for example a winter set....  After registration of a second set, either of these two wheel sets can be selected for usage with the tire pressure warning system"

It then goes on to explain how to switch between the two sets by using the "meter" arrows. 😃