Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windshield wipers not working in rain sensing mode

toyotabeginner

I have a 2004 Avensis which has rain sensing wipers. They work for some short amount of time, before they switch to running continuously, as if I had flipped the switch down to the "low" (continuous) wiper setting. Sometimes, they will even move to the fast continuous wiping mode, and again get stuck there. If I switch the wipers off, they sometimes get stuck at an angle. Not at a high angle across the windshield, but at a low angle -- but enough that this isn't normal.

I believe my problem is related to the CQ1-12V (12 V, SPDT 20A) relay, as described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VK1WuAFh94&list=LLjyNctymUUxNd5tB8HxSq6w&index=3&t=0s

However, that guide is for a car with the intermittent windshield wipers, while my car has automatic sensing wipers.

Is the same relay used on both cars? Or do I need to look for something else?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Moved to the Avensis club

This is due to a defect within the self-parking mechanism in the wiper motor. Easiest solution is probably a secondhand wiper motor.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:56 PM, mrfixer said:

This is due to a defect within the self-parking mechanism in the wiper motor. Easiest solution is probably a secondhand wiper motor.

Thanks for the reply.

However, how does the parking mechanism relate to the fact that is enters continuous mode?

I can see this being related to it failing to park properly and stopping at an angle across the windshield, but entering continuous (slow or fast) wiping mode, isn't that related to the relay I mentioned?

• 2 weeks later...