Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Road Sign Assist replaces speed limits on mao

David Hales

I've just updated my 2016 Prius to a new 2019 model. This new one has an "upgraded" Touch 2 with navigation that doesn't show speed limits on the roads or on the speed cameras it warns about. I asked toyota how to switch these on, and was told they've removed them because we have the Road Sign Assist. RSA is a joke! It doesn't work at all much of the time, and shows speed limits which can't be true on other times. Anyone any suggestions on how to resolve this? Can I downgrade to a previous software?
Any help much appreciated.

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Shouting removed

Hi for a long time I have been saying how bad the road sign assist is, so to remove something that is right 99% of the time for something that is wrong 60% of the time is a sign of the contempt  us car users are held in by car manufacturers. 

I'm surprised to read this, as if it has Safety Sense 2 then I'm almost certain it's the same system I have on my 2019 RAV4.

The first generation RSA on the 2016 4th Gen Prius I had for the last 3 years was rubbish and like most people who've commented, I turned mine off.  However, on the RAV, I've found it to be both highly reliable and slightly useful.

• Reliable because it uses a mixture of camera recognition and SatNav database to display the limit, so while it can be wrong for a brief time after, for example, misreading a 20 mph limit sign on a roundabout exit that you pass rather then take, it quickly corrects itself.  I've done almost 4½k in the car now and find it's very rare to see an incorrect display for more than a few hundred yards/metres.

• Useful as it can be used to program the Adaptive Cruise Control.  For example, if the ACC is set to 40 mph and you pass a 60 or National Speed Limit sign, if you press and hold the "+" ACC button it jumps straight to 60/70 mph, and so far has been clever enough to get single and dual carriageway speed limits right when the National Limit applies.  The same can be done when going into a lower limit, but there's a problem in that you pass the sign at the higher limit then slow down, which could be risky.

Like I say, I'm surprised because my experience has been positive.  And I was quite vociferous in my criticism of it in the Prius, especially as until I switched it off permanently it masked the Hybrid System Indicator in the Head Up Display whenever I was exceeding an incorrect speed limit.  [No such problem in the RAV - it's not available with HUD - my biggest annoyance in the car].

It's true, PeteB. I have two emails from Toyota customer service telling me that they didn't want to confuse the driver in case RSA conflicted speed limits on map and camera - so they've removed the one that's right most of the time. 

As drivers, there MUST be something we can do to change this. It obviously is the wrong decision. How can we lobby Toyota, and even get worldwide support (people in USA saying same thing) 

55 minutes ago, David Hales said:

As drivers, there MUST be something we can do to change this. It obviously is the wrong decision. How can we lobby Toyota, and even get worldwide support (people in USA saying same thing) 

Toyota Owners Club is a separate entity and not associated with the official Toyota company in the UK or worldwide.

If you wish to lobby Toyota, this will need to be done outside of these forums and without reference to Toyota Owners Club.

Thanks. I was wondering if anyone knows where this could be done. Toyota Owners Club will not be mentioned at all. 👍

• 1 month later...

Hello David Hales.

I have a 2019 Prius and, like yourself, have no way to get back my speed limits on the sat nav. I have the extremely useless road sign assist instead. I have made enquires to Toyota and have been told they have no intension to reverse this decision. I have just switched off road sign assist as it is just mostly wrong and got annoying! I think all we can do is complain to Toyota until they take notice and keep complaining. It's a very stupid decision by them.

In my 2016 Gen4 Prius, the RSA is pretty good (but not always), then I have Toyota sat nav, and also for the last few months a ladies voice telling me “the speed limit is 40mph” (other options available).  Sometimes each one can be different to the other two, which are different as well. So, relying on them, I have no idea what the speed limit is, have to rely on my own eyes. For a £28k car it’s not good.

Yes I agree. My Prius was a hundred or so short of £30,000. I'm not impressed!!