Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Add tilt/shock sensor to stock car alarm (E210 - 2019)

eskemoiain

I'm in the process of adding a tilt and shock sensor to the alarm. Does anyone know where the alarm 'node' is within the car? My backup plan is to wire in parallel with the movement sensors as it's likely a 0V trigger?

• Like 1

So I've removed the ultrasonic sensor and I'm presented with three wires:

Black/White - 0v

Blue - 12V

Red - Alarm Signal.

However the alarm signal cable seems to be at 0v which I was hoping it to be a 0v trigger but it's not. Does anyone know what trigger is required?

IMG_20190922_150405.jpg

Ok so I've wired the alarm signal back to the door switch. Ideally I need a locked +12V however I have just tapped off the ultrasonic sensor for permanent +12V. With this configuration the alarm will operate when the shock/tilt sensor operates as it stimulates the door opening. It works well however I just need to get a switch to turn it off (so it doesn't think the door is open when driving)

• Like 1

I have to say, you are on your own with this, especially on a New model like the Corolla. The car is under warranty and with modern electrics in cars being sensitive, any problems that may occur could (rightly or wrong), would be blamed on the device you installed. 
Also not many auto electricians are on the forum, and even rare to be installing aftermarket devices such as the sensor.
This makes you a sort of pioneer. I assume you have tested the car security and found that if the car is subjected to any movement, the alarm does not sound.
Is this to help against catalytic convertor theft, which Toyota/Lexus hybrid cars are targeted, due to the fact the cat is left contaminated compared to other engines/brands!? 
Anyway post your progress.

Edited by Konrad C
additional words
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I have to say, you are on your own with this, especially on a New model like the Corolla. The car is under warranty and with modern electrics in cars being sensitive, any problems that may occur could (rightly or wrong), would be blamed on the device you installed. 
Also not many auto electricians are on the forum, and even rare to be installing aftermarket devices such as the sensor.
This makes you a sort of pioneer. I assume you have tested the car security and found that if the car is subjected to any movement, the alarm does not sound.
Is this to help against catalytic convertor theft, which Toyota/Lexus hybrid cars are targeted, due to the fact the cat is left contaminated compared to other engines/brands!? 
Anyway post your progress.

Sensor is quite simple. It just mimics the door and picks up 12V and 0V from the ultrasonic sensor. Without the sensor the ultrasonic alone does not activate the alarm when the vehicle is tilted or shocked. With the sensor it activates the alarm which, in the case of cat crime, may scare them off or at the very least give them ringing ears! 

I've got the car for 3 and a half years and will likely keep it longer. Adding a sensor shouldn't void the warranty, probably the same as fitting a tracker however it may only be an issue if I report an issue with something related to the door or ultrasonic sensor both of which will only be very minimal (fuse or lose wire)

• Like 2

What was the sensor you’ve used, and where did you locate it?

• Like 1

Rip Off Britain featured car parts theft yesterday. And what car was shown? Toyota Prius mk2. They also had a fiesta where all the front was removed. One thing of note was both victims had cctv and captured what was happening! In the case of the Prius, the wife tried to go out and challenge the thieves, but the thieves backed the Passat upto the outward opening front door, blocking it.
Areas that seem popular for the cat thefts seem to be east London, with other surrounding area also noted, and Midlands. 
Recently the police caught up with a Passat and it had stolen cats, trolley jacks, and cutting equipment. Not sure if it was the same Passat, involved in a lot of reported and social media videos. 

9 hours ago, eskemoiain said:

eBay https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282804208870

I'm adding an inline switch so when I'm driving I can disable it.

Thanks. Pity you couldn't find a way to link it to the interior motion sensor or alarm arm/disarm to automatically enable/disable.

ETA did you use a relay in your set-up? Looking at what you bought, it would seem possible to use the power supply to the lumbar support as permanent live (I'm assuming, like my last car, seat power is always on), then run the earth through a normally closed relay operated by an ignition live, so ignition on, relay open, sensor disarmed, and vice versa.  That would just leave the alarm output to be connected somewhere appropriate.

Looks good. Cant understand why they arent fitted as standard

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rafletcher said:

Thanks. Pity you couldn't find a way to link it to the interior motion sensor or alarm arm/disarm to automatically enable/disable.

ETA did you use a relay in your set-up? Looking at what you bought, it would seem possible to use the power supply to the lumbar support as permanent live (I'm assuming, like my last car, seat power is always on), then run the earth through a normally closed relay operated by an ignition live, so ignition on, relay open, sensor disarmed, and vice versa.  That would just leave the alarm output to be connected somewhere appropriate.

No relay required. I picked up the supply from the motion sensor then ran a cable to the passenger door switch. The sensor just grounds the signal wire which is also what the door switch does so it's fairly easy. I was hoping for the motion sensor to do the same but alas it doesn't. I've brought a switch from Amazon so I can turn it on and off when I want extra detection. Albeit the alarm is only as good as the people around. I saw a video yesterday with them carrying on with the alarm going off however they did look more rushed and stressed. It might be enough for someone to notice and report

1 hour ago, Cbatoday said:

I think they stopped fitting them on most vehicles due to false alarms from wind, loud exhausts and fast passing vehicles. That's why you ideally need a tilt sensor rather than shock sensor. The one I brought has an adjustment screw.

14 hours ago, eskemoiain said:

No relay required. I picked up the supply from the motion sensor then ran a cable to the passenger door switch. The sensor just grounds the signal wire which is also what the door switch does so it's fairly easy. I was hoping for the motion sensor to do the same but alas it doesn't. I've brought a switch from Amazon so I can turn it on and off when I want extra detection. Albeit the alarm is only as good as the people around. I saw a video yesterday with them carrying on with the alarm going off however they did look more rushed and stressed. It might be enough for someone to notice and report

But wouldn't using a relay have avoided the need for the separate switch? I'm sure I'd be forgetting to turn it on / off 🙂

The relay is only good if you have a trigger. I suppose you could pick up the +12v from the ignition however that's more work than a simple switch. Also the switch let's you disable it in strong winds for example

Good point, I’d probably use a relay and an override switch, as you’d usually get on a factory fit, for when the car is being towed. 

1 hour ago, rafletcher said:

Good point, I’d probably use a relay and an override switch, as you’d usually get on a factory fit, for when the car is being towed. 

You probably won't need a relay of you find the ignition supply. Just tap into it and fuse it (you can probably use piggyback a fuse in the fuse box)

• 3 months later...

Hello eskemoiain , I have been the victim of cat theft and also want to add either a tilt or tilt/shock sensor and thanks for this info.Unlike you I have not managed to get it to work. I have taken a permanent live from the fuse box in the engine bay (Prius) and a earth near the fuse box above the passenger foot well.The signal wire from the sensor ( I have the same sensor as you) I have tapped to the single brown wire leading from the passenger door courtesy light switch.

I know I have power and earth because when tapping the sensor the red light comes on. It worked the first time when I rocked the car ,but hasn't since. I have rewired a few times the signal wire from the sensor to courtesy light wire but to no avail.

When you did yours you said you wired the signal wire from sensor to the door switch, I have wired it to the wire leading from it.Could that be why I am not having any luck?

Thanks very much for your time.

Gary

Sounds like it's wired correctly however there are two types of sensor; switch pos and switch neg. The wrong one will basically not do anything. When it works you will get a door open notification on the dash. You can test it yourself by grounding the brown wire (that's all the door sensor and tilt sensor does)

Thanks eskemoiain, I have now got it sorted. I think the problem was the sensor. The first One I tried was made by Hawk which was a shock and tilt sensor but could not get it to work. The one that works like a charm for me is the 507 tilt sensor for Python and Viper alarm systems. It costs 60 quid here,but if you buy them from the States its half that including postage. Like you I have put in a switch to give me more control. It sets off the alarm now before the tyre is anywhere near off the ground. I know it won't stop thieves being interested in my car but It will at least they can't nick the cat in silence.

Thanks for your reply.

Gary

On 10/1/2019 at 5:51 PM, Cbatoday said:

Probably not being fitted as standard because Toyota want you to spend £250 on their own Catloc device utterly taking the p---. 

A car costing nearly £30k with that vulnerability should not be on sale until Toyota have sorted it (Honda managed it). Catloc or no Catloc a determined thief with a heavy duty grinder will have it off in a jiffy. Apart from the usual advice i am looking at an alarm with a tilt mechanism which Toyota should have made standard on the latest Hybrid Corolla.

People will say well you are insured but its the total inconvenience of waiting to have you car fixed and on top of that if you drive your  car to the garage with a missing cat you will get nicked by the local fuzz wonderful !  Catalytic converter theft has risen tenfold since early 2019 so its not a brand new phenomenon. Toyota being the biggest car manufacturer should not be charging customers for their mistakes.

Not Toyota fault, it is the times we live in, the country and whoever run the country. Today are the catalytic converters tomorrow will be something else. No laws, no punishment, that is what happens. Dodgy traders, dodgy people looking for an easy living, no police interested to help, they know that. If you nick 5 cats today and sell it you earn more than a doctor or pilot, and when you sell them they tells you get me a Prius or any Toyota Lexus hybrid and I will pay you double, what do you think., it is a low lifes paradise at the cost of the working people. Alarm sensors  are pretty useless as the cat locks and anything else, once the car is targeted if they have time nothing will stop thieves. But if they can’t sell the cats to anyone, can’t sell the metals extracted to anyone then they will not steal anymore. 

• Like 2

Are cat thefts a problem in other countries? Probably not. Better and enforced regulation of the scrap trade kills the market. 

• Like 1

I think to say its not Toyota's fault and mentioning our failing infrastructure is an argument that is slightly flawed. So if its not Toyota's or other car manufacturers responsibility then why do they fit car alarms and immobilisers ? The manufacturer's should extend that responsibility to parts that are easily stolen , expensive and time consuming to replace. Other manufacturers have done so why can't Toyota the biggest car producer in the world fix it just poor customer support.

I think this post is going a little of track

more fitting alarm 

less about the failings of car manufactuers

🙂

• 1 month later...

Can i join this conversation?  I've been slightly confused as to what tilt sensor can be wired into a Toyota - for it to work successfully.  Eskemoiain says the one made by Hawk Direct works well, but Magooan days the 507 tilt sensor for Python and Viper alarm systems is best.  I have the service manual for my Prius (all 8000 pages!) and I've worked out that all alarm signals are a 12v going to 0v for 0.8secs.  Can anyone confirm if the Hawk and/or Python/Viper tilt sensors deliver this?