Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

brake hold button

Cbatoday

on the new corolla 2019 it has a brake hold feature to stop the car creeping forward

what happens if you forget and leave it on for a minute or so before you remember. 

I am guessing it doesn't clamp the disc as hard as the handbrake but just enough to stop creeping

Brake hold applies the foot brake and (I assume) also decouples the transmission from the drive shaft. On the hybrid version there's no reason whatsoever why that wouldn't happen. The ICE will typically be off and the electric motors clearly won't be energised. The brake hold is therefore only having to hold against gravity.

I'd be surprised if any modern automatic continued to apply torque to the drive shaft while the foot brake was on and the car was stationary.

It does the same as a traditional handbrake it holds the parking brake while your foot is off the brake pedal eg. doing a hill start or pulling away

tbh it takes away from the skill of driving a manual, imho its just something else to break and it takes control away from the user

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It does the same as a traditional handbrake it holds the parking brake while your foot is off the brake pedal eg. doing a hill start or pulling away

Not quite. Brake hold applies the foot brake. Unlike with a handbrake your brake lights will come on and all the wheels are braked (handbrakes typically only operate the rear brakes).

It does provide hill start assistance functionality but since brake hold is optional (it has to be activated each time the car is started) that doesn't seem to be its intended purpose. It's purpose seems to be to allow the driver to remove their foot from the brake pedal whilst keeping the brakes on.

Well it was also called “hill hold” in my Audi (automatic)  and that’s what I occasionally used it for, as the DSG ‘box doesn’t offer the same stall as a torque converter.  It also had to be selected each time the car was started, so that’s SOP for that type of device it seems. It could be used all the time if you wanted, but the stop-start only worked with a foot on the brake pedal, and I never used it (or even thought about using it) to prevent creep. I had the “handbrake” for that. 

My Jazz had hill start. Brake hold can perform that function but the difference is that you have to turn it on. Hill start on my Jazz was always available. The other difference was that hill start didn't put the brake lights on so was possibly only holding the car on the handbrake.

The brake hold switch does just that, it stops the car from creeping, allowing you take your foot off the brake pedal when waiting in traffic. It holds the foot brake on, it does not apply the handbrake. You do not need to release it, it is automatically released when the accelerator pedal is pressed. Releasing it without touching the accelerator will allow the car to.start creeping.

And as it come into operation after you've depressed the foot brake, then the brake lights are on. There is, however, a time-out function on the brake hold, and if you don't release it by starting to drive again after 3 minutes of having your foot off the brake pedal the car will set the EPB. This will be accompanied by the inevitable buzzer and warning message.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not designed as a hill holder, the car has that function but it's automatic and there's no need to press any button. Hold button just hold your breaks on as if you keep your foot on the pedal and is mainly to be used in heavy traffic. A tip: don't use it if you're trying to park on a hill as it's not a help at all in that situation.

• 4 months later...
On 10/2/2019 at 5:08 AM, JoaoM said:

It's not designed as a hill holder, the car has that function but it's automatic and there's no need to press any button. Hold button just hold your breaks on as if you keep your foot on the pedal and is mainly to be used in heavy traffic. A tip: don't use it if you're trying to park on a hill as it's not a help at all in that situation.

JoaoM I can't follow this bit: " the car has that function but it's automatic". If the "hold" button isn't intended for hill starts and to release the handbrake one needs to depress the handbrake button and the brake pedal - how does one take off? I think I read that if one applies the handbrake button, say on a hill, and depresses it while accelerating slowing one takes off? Sound right ? I'm yet to experiment with my new car.

The early Toyota with Hill Start Assist required an extra hard press of the brake pedal for a second or two until a beep was heard and the VSC light flashed - releasing the brake pedal then saw the brakes staying on for 2 seconds after the pedal was released giving time to press the accelerator.

Since the first version of "Safety Sense", this changed to be automatic - if the car senses an incline that is greater than the creep effect (for Hybrids, at least) can hold, just releasing the brake pedal causes the brakes to stay on for a couple of seconds without the driving doing anything to make this happen.

Just occasionally, if starting off on a slope which is very slightly below the threshold where Bake Hold kicks in, the car may roll very slightly until the creep effect builds up, but this is a very brie period (but can feel longer than it is).

1 hour ago, paul neri said:

JoaoM I can't follow this bit: " the car has that function but it's automatic". If the "hold" button isn't intended for hill starts and to release the handbrake one needs to depress the handbrake button and the brake pedal - how does one take off? I think I read that if one applies the handbrake button, say on a hill, and depresses it while accelerating slowing one takes off? Sound right ? I'm yet to experiment with my new car.

Hold is released the same way as Park - by accelerating. Personally I wish Hold was on all the time. I think drivers should have to disable it if they don't want it not the way it currently is.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

HI think drivers should have to disable it if they don't want it not the way it currently is.

Completely agree.  I can understand that it's disabled if the driver seatbelt is not buckled, or the driver's door is open, but surely the software could easily be set to re-enable it whenever these two conditions are met.

• Like 2

Somewhat off-topic but the decisions car manufacturers make do leave me baffled sometimes.

For instance my previous car - a Honda Jazz - had idle stop so that the engine switched off when you were stationary. On the manual version it was restarted when you depressed the clutch or released the break pedal while in gear. This works fine. If you stopped and moved to neutral the engine remained off when you took your feet off the pedals and would restart in ample time to get moving.

But the CVT version restarted the engine when you released the brake pedal. Always. So you could never lift your foot off the brake even if you'd done the right thing and selected neutral and put the handbrake on. One explanation could be that because there was no clutch pedal they had removed that switch and thus were only left with the brake pedal to control it. But that's incorrect. They had gone to the trouble of adding a switch to restart the engine when the gear selector was moved out of neutral anyway. So they had everything in place to allow courteous drivers to take both feet off the pedals and have the engine remain off but instead they forced us to either never use idle stop or keep the brake pedal depressed.

I had a similar complaint about the Honda Civic Hybrid and 2nd generation Insight Hybrid.  I didn't own them, but was lent some when I managed a fleet of Toyota Prius cars between 2007 and 2011.

When stopped with the system on, being in D with the foot on the brake meant the engine stopped unless it need to heat the car or charge the High Voltage Battery, but select P (because you weren't going anywhere!), and the engine came on and stayed on.

I did feed this back to Honda's fleet people, but to no avail.

• Like 1

If the brake hold is applied it has a time out function so if You have not moved in like few minutes it will alarm you with a sound so if you want to continue using hold feature you need to apply brakes for a second again to confirm it. If You don’t do so it will put the car in the neutral and demand You to switch to P and back to D if You want to accelerate.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, the Corolla also has Hill Start Assist. From the specs:

Hill-start Assist Control (HAC)
Downhill Assist Control (DAC)

With the hold button, not sure why this is required? Never been aware of HAC operating, and off topic, but no idea what Downhill Assist Control (DAC) is. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links