Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led bulb upgrade

Kineticsteve

Hey everyone I’ve put led hir2 bulbs in my 2014 Auris touring hybrid a few weeks ago and not had any problems with people flashing me. 

The other day I took the car into work to put on the beam setter to see if it would pass an mot and the beam image is spot on. 

That is a picture of the left and right headlamp. 

The kick up is ok and the image is the same as the halogen bulbs that would of been fitted as standard. 

As an mot test myself and looking at the book many times I still can’t see any reason why they should fail. 

24B498AE-21DA-4C1E-95A4-575CE6F5AC1E.jpeg

269A4835-625A-45D2-8C8C-6C1823C81489.jpeg

• Like 1

I got them from horizon led. I ordered the Phillips hir2 but they offered me an upgrade to newer ones as the Phillips have been discontinued. Just checked on there website they’ve still not put them up. £125 

• Thanks 1

If you are a MOT test(er) then you should know that fitting l.e.d.s in a reflector headlight housing is illegal!

Whether you have been "flashed" or not makes not one iota of difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 10:40 AM, mrpj said:

If you are a MOT test(er) then you should know that fitting l.e.d.s in a reflector headlight housing is illegal!

Whether you have been "flashed" or not makes not one iota of difference.

Yes it it in a reflector headlamp. Also they wouldn’t pass the mot as they wouldn’t have the beam image seen in the pictures. 

My headlamps are projection headlamps (fish eyes/ gold fish bowl) type 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi. Did you order the luxeon hir2 bulbs? Do they fit completely within the rubber boot or do you need to modify it?

How hot do they get?  I just ordered some as well for my 2013.

On 1/18/2020 at 7:04 AM, heidelberger75 said:

Hi. Did you order the luxeon hir2 bulbs? Do they fit completely within the rubber boot or do you need to modify it?

How hot do they get?  I just ordered some as well for my 2013.

Heat. LEDs should produce LESS heat than halogens (lower wattage tells you!) However it is produced in a smaller place, so needs ‘spreading around’ by heat sinks. With hids, there is more heat than halogens, which leads to the requirement for lamp washers, to avoid baked-on dirt diffusing the beam. 

@Kineticsteve
I too would be interested to learn exactly what the product is, that you are so pleased with!  And, ummm, we are assuming that these bulbs give a significant improvement in vision, and thus safety... though you seem to have missed out that bit!

Count me in too for reviews.  My optibright bulbs gave up the ghost this morning.  Luckily had the originals as spares.

10 minutes ago, catnash said:

Count me in too for reviews.  My optibright bulbs gave up the ghost this morning.  Luckily had the originals as spares.

Those optiwhites were definitely no improvement for me.  60€ wasted unfortunately.

I live in the country.  Just outside my house down a slight hill and up the other side.  The road ahead disappears with these headlights.  I have to manually use main beam.  It's a bit dangerous to drive with these headlights in dipped beam for me.

• 2 months later...

My Auris got a new MOT shortly before the extension was announced. Took the opportunity of a few words with the tester about possible leds. 
He was adamant that (and produced an unattributed supporting printout) led headlamps (not just hid) must have functional washers. 

Whether he was right or wrong, there’s a fair chance that an led conversion might mean a fail. 
It would almost be worth going round interviewing the testers to find a sympathetic one, before booking the car in! 

For me, its a moot point for now. I’ll put up with the standard bulbs until next winter! 

we have leds in our auris your vision is clearer but the distance doesn't change, with

projector headlights having a shutter this sets the beam pattern and distance the light

will  travel , my own car is a lexus is300h with factory led headlights and although

there is a nice bright white light on the road the distance isnt great probably no better

than the auris you certainly wouldnt want to go around twisty country roads at night

without having the high beam on

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 5:30 PM, Beekeeper D said:

My Auris got a new MOT shortly before the extension was announced. Took the opportunity of a few words with the tester about possible leds. 
He was adamant that (and produced an unattributed supporting printout) led headlamps (not just hid) must have functional washers. 

Whether he was right or wrong, there’s a fair chance that an led conversion might mean a fail. 

They have to prove they are led or hid for them to fail.