Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic Converter Thefts

Korgrocker

asked the Toyota salesman about this for my 2.0 Excel Touring Sports and he said it was a non issue as the catalytic converter was ‘buried in the engine’ and not practicable to steal. I’m just repeating what he said...

i’m tempted to get one of these; any thoughts? They look to be a far better solution than a cat loc?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Corolla-2019-ON-Catalytic-Anti-Theft-Protection-Shield-Hatchback-Touring-/283862468705

Can an independent fit it without voiding any warranty? Or, would Toyota fit such a thing, being non-OEM?

• Like 1

It would be down to the individual dealer to decide whether or not to fit third party parts. As regards the warranty, the work done or any removal of the third party parts if there was an issue with the cat later on wouldn't be covered. 

Not wanting to tempt fate, but I am not aware of a big issue with the New Corolla. If thieves do target the Corolla, the CAT is harder to get at, and if they do, it is worth much less than the older Toyota's CATS. Toyota say they reduced the precious metals in the new CATS, so the scrap value is much less. The risk is that inexperienced thieves might still have a go causing damage, not realising that they won't earn much for the risk they take.  Maybe this is why Toyota have not updated their security advice  to include the new Corolla (2019 on) or worked with Cat Lok to produce a Toyota authorised accessory.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies.

Its that rogue thief just ‘having a go’ that I’m worried about, and the cat cover plate seems really good value and a very sleek solution which also seems much better than the cylinder design cat locks. 

I’d happily pay the £40 + £12 delivery + £30 fitting my local independent would charge for peace of mind, but I don’t want to cause myself any warranty invalidation issues 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AKLZ said:

Thank you for your replies.

Its that rogue thief just ‘having a go’ that I’m worried about, and the cat cover plate seems really good value and a very sleek solution which also seems much better than the cylinder design cat locks. 

I’d happily pay the £40 + £12 delivery + £30 fitting my local independent would charge for peace of mind, but I don’t want to cause myself any warranty invalidation issues 

This is the best solution along with removing hybrid badges from the car and hope thieves will drive past and look for another Toyota hybrid. I have two of these from the same seller fitted to my cars (Auris’) and they fit snug and clean, no modifications or reduced clearance of the car. Can be undone easily if any work required on the car and I believe that these are enough to make stealing the cat little bit harder so thieves may look for an easier target instead, but if they have time they will probably cut through and take it anyway even though this will produce a lots of noise. If carefully fitted without any damage to the chassis or any components of the car I don’t see really a reason to invalidate any warranty, since it’s an add on accessories, same as rear spoiler, mud flaps,   Etc, these does not affect the performance of the car or alter its intended operation., best to talk to the dealer you service your car, I am out of any warranty and fully own my cars. 

I’m unable to edit my earlier post, but I thought I’d post the eBay pics here so folks wouldn’t have to follow a random eBay link to see them. I have no affiliation, btw, I just think they look a pretty neat solution. Better than the simple ‘bar’ another poster showed earlier. Not sure how ‘solid’ (or flimsy) the metal is? Would like to handle one to see. Pretty sure I’m going to have one fitted.

54C8E166-F1F3-4B4F-A5CC-E73B74A8686C.jpeg

738FD05F-B40E-4660-A5D1-F820A27E2DBF.jpeg

It’s thin metal list 1.5-3mm thickness depends from which vendor you buy, I had one from the link you posted and it’s  1.5mm as I remember but this is ok , sturdy enough plus if they want to cut this will produce a lots of noise and minimum 1-2 minutes, time they don’t have. Very important to secure with some sort of security bolts that ain’t easy to undo as they will just undo them with the power drive they carry. All this solutions do is buying you some time and make them change their mind eventually and walk away. 

91F203C4-5C75-44D1-9960-FAE9700F1A15.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, and it's hard to prove a negative... I wonder how many thieves have already been under your car and thought "nope, lets find an easier one"... might have already saved you £££, but you'll never know. 

I'm glad someone else has tried one, and recommends them. I feel better about having one fitted to mine now, too. 

I presume you got an independent to do it. I had never considered security bolts, either. You've been very thorough there!

• Thanks 1

Have noticed recently, the thefts seem to be happening more often now, people trying to make a quick buck in recent times maybe? Prius and maybe other Hybrids seem to be the most common car of target also. Watched a video of how quick they jack the car very dodgy and get under it, remove CAT and jack down and done. Literally 1-3 minutes if even that. They also have a few people with them and do it in broad daylight and people around just think they are working on their own car. Plus with everyone wearing masks makes it even more difficult to find and prosecute.

Hello, does anyone know where the location is of the CC in the new Yaris Hybrid?

Is it buried in the engine? Has Toyota learned a lesson and made it harder to get at?

Later Toyotas have less precious metals in the cats (less attractive) and models such as the Corolla have the cat less accessible. 

Have Audi, Mercedes and Honda also learned from their models which are affected by cat thefts?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 1:32 PM, TonyHSD said:

It’s thin metal list 1.5-3mm thickness depends from which vendor you buy, I had one from the link you posted and it’s  1.5mm as I remember but this is ok , sturdy enough plus if they want to cut this will produce a lots of noise and minimum 1-2 minutes, time they don’t have. Very important to secure with some sort of security bolts that ain’t easy to undo as they will just undo them with the power drive they carry. All this solutions do is buying you some time and make them change their mind eventually and walk away. 

91F203C4-5C75-44D1-9960-FAE9700F1A15.jpeg

Did this installation require any additional holes to be drilled, or does it utilise pre-existing structures and screw holes.

just noticed yours is an Auris. I’m still in two minds whether to install a plate to my Corolla. It’s supposedly not a ‘high risk’ car, but the cost and inconvenience of a stolen cat would be highly problematic for me, so for that reason I may get one fitted.

1 minute ago, AKLZ said:

Did this installation require any additional holes to be drilled, or does it utilise pre-existing structures and screw holes.

just noticed yours is an Auris. I’m still in two minds whether to install a plate to my Corolla. It’s supposedly not a ‘high risk’ car, but the cost and inconvenience of a stolen cat would be highly problematic for me, so for that reason I may get one fitted.

Your Corolla is like Prius gen 4 and my Auris is exactly like Prius gen 3 , therefore our cars are completely different and I am not sure how exactly your one will be fitted. My one fits on existing bolts and brackets, I only replaced some of the bolts with security ones. If you worry about it de badging the car as first step might be helpful. , just get rid of the hybrid emblems. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thank you again for your as always helpful reply.

A quick google tells me that a Gen 4 Prius isn’t susceptible (in the sense we’re talking about here; I realise *anything* can be stolen, given the time and the will) and none have had stolen cats reported. I’ve also not heard of a Corolla having the cat stolen. 

I hear what you say about de-badging but I’m very loathe to do this as I like the badges; but I do see where you’re coming from with that. 

What a thing to have to think about with a new car!

• Thanks 1

As regards debadging the Corolla, the 1.2t version was only sold in the UK for around six months in 2019, and all Corollas sold since are hybrids. So if theives were to target the Corolla hybrid, all they need to look for is the later registration plate - 20 onwards.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards debadging the Corolla, the 1.2t version was only sold in the UK for around six months in 2019, and all Corollas sold since are hybrids. So if theives were to target the Corolla hybrid, all they need to look for is the later registration plate - 20 onwards.

Good point, although I suspect both the IQ and research done by the average thief is equally pretty low. I think they might just see the Corolla and ‘have a go’ thinking “it’s a Toyota so let’s just grab the cat”. 

Then again they know enough to target certain hybrids rather than ICE versions .......

• Like 1

Thieves are looking for hybrids, de Badge a Prius and they may well skip it too. It is really very useful the car to be clean, ever since we had one of ours targeted I always watch hybrids when drive around, just try to think like a thief,  there are some places with many Prius and Auris hybrid parked on the same street all together, 4-5 cars , and I always say lol look at those such a target for thieves and there is one estate with phv license without any badges, always fooled me it was a diesel until one day I stopped and looked through the window, was a hybrid one. Stick on Toyota hybrid on Skoda octavia and the thieves will look to jack up the car. I have seen many ct200h without any hybrid Badge on them and wonder if they are factory removed or owners done it like us but the car does not attract as hybrid. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Last year when cat cat converter thefts were on the rise I purchased a tilt sensor on Amazon or Ebay  for about £20  but cannot remember which. I have not had time to get it fitted and am still mulling as to if it might screw up the operation of the existing alarm. It comes with a decent set of instructions and the fitting seems simple enough.

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3453.JPG

IMG_3450.JPG

10 hours ago, Louie said:

Last year when cat cat converter thefts were on the rise I purchased a tilt sensor on Amazon or Ebay  for about £20  but cannot remember which. I have not had time to get it fitted and am still mulling as to if it might screw up the operation of the existing alarm. It comes with a decent set of instructions and the fitting seems simple enough.

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3453.JPG

IMG_3450.JPG

Hi, I personally wouldn’t bother with sensors, thieves are nasty enough to ignore these and any alarm the car may have. Best to sell it back to someone IMO. Maybe just a security plate under the car to limit access, they always look under before lift up to work. 👍

• Like 1

I think I might replace our 'cat' with one of these:

growling-tiger-isolated-white-background

I'd love to see a thief's face if they jacked up our car and were confronted with that!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Received this email today:

"Dear Watch Member,

Yesterday, Saturday 16th January, a Hillingdon resident spotted a catalytic converter theft from a neighbour’s car in progress – the thieves had already removed the catalytic converter (it takes just 90 seconds) and they made off in a vehicle.

An eyewitness managed to get a partial registration of the vehicle involved, and other members of NHW registered on OWL CCTV Watch came forwards with high definition CCTV images, from which the full registration was determined.

Within a short time of the theft the information was called in to the Police on 999 – crime in progress, with suspects on scene or making off – and the registration circulated to patrols.

Officers spotted the vehicle using the registration given and a chase ensued resulting in a successful stop, during which two males were arrested and evidence recovered – great work by our officers, successfully carried out because timely information was made available to them."

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MarcusWatson said:

Received this email today:

"Dear Watch Member,

Yesterday, Saturday 16th January, a Hillingdon resident spotted a catalytic converter theft from a neighbour’s car in progress – the thieves had already removed the catalytic converter (it takes just 90 seconds) and they made off in a vehicle.

An eyewitness managed to get a partial registration of the vehicle involved, and other members of NHW registered on OWL CCTV Watch came forwards with high definition CCTV images, from which the full registration was determined.

Within a short time of the theft the information was called in to the Police on 999 – crime in progress, with suspects on scene or making off – and the registration circulated to patrols.

Officers spotted the vehicle using the registration given and a chase ensued resulting in a successful stop, during which two males were arrested and evidence recovered – great work by our officers, successfully carried out because timely information was made available to them."

Our police force do a good job generally. It's when cases like this get to court it becomes a farce regarding punishment. They will just get a slapped wrist and told not to do it again no doubt.

• Like 1