Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Data structure required for music on USB stick

rowan.bradley

I have a 2016 Verso. It has no CD player but is supposed to be able to play music from a USB stick. I am trying to build a USB stick with all of our favourite music on it. I have discovered that the music tracks need to be in .WMA format, and I have worked out how to create these. What I now need is to encode them in such a way that the Artist, Album and Genre data for each track is accessible to the audio system, so it can sort music correctly so I can find what I'm looking for. How does it find this information? Does it rely on the folder structure on the USB stick? It would seem not, because I have arranged my files with top level folders for Artist, and second level folders for Album, but it doesn't seem able to find this information. Or does it rely on metadata? If so, what type of metadata does it use, and which tags?

If I understand how the payer expects data to be organised on the USB stock, then I can find a way of creating the data with the right structure.

Thank you - Rowan

Iirc it picks up ID tags (again iirc this is covered in the manual & again iirc wma is not the only audio file format supported). I  understand that Toyota UK's multimedia team can be connected on 0344 701 6202

WMA really ? Mp3 has been the standard for over 20 years and standard in cars for at least 15 - What radio is it ? Use a USB 2.0 stick (not USB 3) no bigger than 16gb and format it in fat 32 - folders no more than 6 deep this it so it indexes faster

you can put it in whatever folder you please the audio format contains the track data (metadata) all my audio is stored as artist - album - track, If you're ripping CDs windows media player it defaults to WMA, iTunes default to M4A

The verso is just an overgrown Yaris 2016 it should be a Touch2 with Go what will play MP3, WMA and AAC (M4A) the touch2 is very picky on the format of the stick best bet is format it in fat32 try it with just one mp3 in a folder

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

Use a USB 2.0 stick (not USB 3)

why? USB 3 sticks should be backward compatible albeit the head unit probably can't use the increased transfer speed.

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

The verso is just an overgrown Yaris 2016

The Verso S (Ractis in some markets) was in the same market sector as the Yaris - effectively Toyota's competitor to the Nissan Note, Kia Venga/Hyundai ix20, Ford B-Max, etc.

The Verso was much larger than the Yaris/Verso S, and competed with the likes of the VW Touran, Vauxhall/Opel Zafira, Ford C-Max, etc.

Both models now discontinued.

13 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

why? USB 3 sticks should be backward compatible albeit the head unit probably can't use the increased transfer speed.

The tech is from 2010, just through experiance it pays to stick with USB 2 devices, yes usb 3 is backwards compatible but not 100%

11 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Verso S (Ractis in some markets) was in the same market sector as the Yaris - effectively Toyota's competitor to the Nissan Note, Kia Venga/Hyundai ix20, Ford B-Max, etc.

The Verso was much larger than the Yaris/Verso S, and competed with the likes of the VW Touran, Vauxhall/Opel Zafira, Ford C-Max, etc.

Both models now discontinued.

Said in Jest, Just like a new nissan Micra is a renault clio in a Kimono

Hi, I like Flash22's first comment.

Stacked on top of each other my wife's CD's where about 2 metres tall and they did not take forever to drop them onto the USB stick with whatever multi media I used. 

USB capacity wise I thought that's a lot of music and had no idea what capacity of to use so I bought a 128Gb one, not cheap, and even after loading all the music I still had over 100Gb's left so of course I am saying don't buy a silly large capacity one, 28Gb's should be fine and  save yourself a lot of unnecessary wasted money.

Regards, Mike.