Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2019 Rav4 displayed MPG

Ezcritique

So my own experience, since acquiring my Rav4 a week ago today ive completed about 1200 miles on a mixture of roads, town and city. 

Displayed averages of 49-52 or thereabouts for 1st while on decent runs of 150 miles or so... 

But today.... I mean I know it was over a shorter distance.... But to say I'm impressed is an understatement. 

Also, some clown in a transit hit my wing mirror in Hounslow yesterday, knocking the cowling off.. I picked it up, intact, from the roadside without a mark on it, all lips intact... Clipped it back in and its all good still.. Was amazed BLIS, heater and glass still OK... I like this motor!!! 

IMG_20190923_141911.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ezcritique said:

...........Displayed averages of 49-52 or thereabouts for 1st while on decent runs of 150 miles or so.............

What model RAV do you have 2W or AWD and on what setting? ECO?

I have probably done 1500 miles in mine and get 43 mpg for an AWD set in normal mode. Admittedly there is a lot of high speed motorway driving in that. To be honest I am happy on that, being that the vehicle is big and not slow and is petrol.

I have been resetting the gauge 2 or 3 times now and it comes back giving an average of 43 mpg.

Seeing the picture of you dash shows you are in normal node.

Apologies... Its an AWD Excel and has only been driven in "normal" mode since I've had it.. Just taking it easy around town with an occasional heavy foot on the motorway... 

Today up to High Wycombe and across to London just driving normally in "normal" mode... Appears this is going to be a regular average for me so I'm well chuft... Beats my Passat around town and isn't far off on Motorway!! 

IMG_20190926_110700.jpg

although be prepared for a significant drop in mpg as the weather gets colder, especially if you do lots of short trips/cold starts (like I do most of the time). Also, the warmer you have the cabin, the worse the drop.

Mine's already starting to get a little worse.

Thanks Pete, my bubble was bound to burst.... Too good to be true with a mileage allowance of 22p..mid 30's is my break even so I do hope the coming cold doesn't drop the mpg below this.... 

I generally wear a t shirt all year so no fear of the cabin being too warm... 

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that when I popped into dealer recently for headlight adjustment, they told me it takes about 10000 miles to fully run in the hybrid system.... I'm at just over 4k and 👀.. I couldn't believe it.. Nearly 62mpg..driving normally albeit a long stretch of motorway restricted to 50mph...I'll take these figures or near to it as a fantastic result for both Toyota and myself... This economy works for me though perhaps not the taxman.. Even n at 21pence a mile I'm quids in!! 

IMG_20191015_095634.jpg

MPG and 2.5 ltr engine is great for company car drivers, I pocked about £140 a month against the amount of money I put in the tank 😄 just don’t tell my finance director !

Finished my first tank of petrol. Calculated MPG is 45.5 and this is with 200 miles of fast motorway driving (mostly in rain) and pulling quickly from traffic lights.
This is 2WD and 50/50 normal / eco. To be honest, I find it easier to drive in eco in traffic and it also more eager to go into EV mode compared to normal.
Not noticed an difference between eco and normal when car is pushed, just need to press the gas pedal a bit more.

Best displayed MPG was around 79 mpg for the 7 miles trip,  during the warm and dry day and 30 mph speed limit.

Funny thing is, my wife gets around 50 mpg in Auris MK2 excel (she can get a bit more, but explaining to her how to pulse and glide and why it is important to brake gently to charge Battery, and drive smoothly is the battle I have lost).

This shows how much Toyota hybrid tech has improved.

Apologies for another newbie question, but during glide (so where no throttle is applied), does the Battery get charged? 

If you go to “glide” and take your foot off throttle you will soon find you drawing to a stop. It’s glide as in light on the throttle so you keeping the vehicle in EV mode. You will slow down but very gradually, and as you are in EV mode you are using some Battery power, how much depends what you doing with the right foot.

Lots of You Tube videos demonstrating plus and glide. Take a look.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrBee said:

Apologies for another newbie question, but during glide (so where no throttle is applied), does the battery get charged? 

Although it's not 'gliding', when you lift off the throttle it does charge the Battery until you're below 7 mph or so.

You can see this on the Energy Monitor display as shown here on a Wheel Network YouTube video from 2m 51s (should start there if you click the play arrow):

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links