Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.5 petrol - how many miles on a full tank of fuel?

Vinylseats

I'm looking at buying the newest model 1.5 Yaris petrol and will be doing a fair bit of long distance driving, often in areas with few petrol stations. Of course it depends on driving style, but roughly what sort of mileage do you get out of a full tank of petrol for the 1.5? Or what does the trip computer display as the fuel range when you fill right up? Many thanks!

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

You can use the Honest John Real mpg info as a starting point - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-and-yaris-hybrid-2011/15-vvt-i

Yes I have indeed seen that and is a reason I'm interested in the 1.5 Yaris as it seems to be one of the most fuel efficient new cars of its size and type. But I wondered how true this was before I buy one.

I assume: 

4 liters left in tank is minimum level

Average mpg = urban  (if not a hybrid)

4.5 liters per gallon

(Tank capacity - 4)/4.5   = gallons   x average mpg..   

Approximately 

• 3 weeks later...

no way, it is not fuel efficient at all. It eats petrol when on motorway. Just drinks it.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:24 PM, sufy said:

no way, it is not fuel efficient at all. It eats petrol when on motorway. Just drinks it.

Perhaps that's because yours is new and still needs running in? I understand brand new cars take a few thousand miles before settling down to a better MPG.

It is the same with new headphones, you have to run them in. 

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 11:24 PM, sufy said:

I live near Gatwick and went to Lincolnshire by using M25/M11 etc and managed to get 62mpg, by filling tank from start and again filling at Boston, then calculating MPG.

Dave

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a one year old Yaris from a dealer and it is rubbish. 0-60 in half an hour, really sluggish, yet supposed to be 1.5, only takes small amount of petrol then stops any more going in, so have to get fuel every week. Drinks fuel like a fish, had to fill up five times in three weeks and I only drive locally. Too many totally unnecessary buttons and knobs which do things you don't need then it takes me getting the manual out to get out of it. Hard to get in and out of doors, I sort of fall out. Takes ages to pull off from lights, so embarrassing. No where to put all your bits and bobs, with the smallest door pockets known to man

Had a Nissan micra ( the beautiful beetle shape) for twelve years and loved it, loved it loved it. Had everything you need; brilliant torque, nippy enough to feel like you weren't really driving, just going for a ride, hardly had to touch the steering wheel(so light); more cubby holes than you could shake a stick at, including a handy bag holder and so many lidded hidey holes, AND easy to get in and out of. Wish now I had spent the fortune needed to fix my Micra's exhaust and kept it. Will be selling my three week old purchase asap.

Did you not test drive the car before you bought it, which would at least have given you an idea of what the car was like ? At the end of the day, it's your choice, and down to you to make sure the car is suitable for what you want.

• Like 2

If you can afford the wait time and money, the Mk4 hybrid is muuuch better.

The complaint about the controls is a bit surprising, normally people complain about the lack of physical controls in newer cars! You might be better off looking at german cars - They seem to be following Tesla's footsteps and moving everything to touchscreens instead of physical controls.

35 minutes ago, Emily7 said:

I recently bought a one year old Yaris from a dealer and it is rubbish. 0-60 in half an hour, really sluggish, yet supposed to be 1.5, only takes small amount of petrol then stops any more going in, so have to get fuel every week. Drinks fuel like a fish, had to fill up five times in three weeks and I only drive locally. Too many totally unnecessary buttons and knobs which do things you don't need then it takes me getting the manual out to get out of it. Hard to get in and out of doors, I sort of fall out. Takes ages to pull off from lights, so embarrassing. No where to put all your bits and bobs, with the smallest door pockets known to man

Had a Nissan micra ( the beautiful beetle shape) for twelve years and loved it, loved it loved it. Had everything you need; brilliant torque, nippy enough to feel like you weren't really driving, just going for a ride, hardly had to touch the steering wheel(so light); more cubby holes than you could shake a stick at, including a handy bag holder and so many lidded hidey holes, AND easy to get in and out of. Wish now I had spent the fortune needed to fix my Micra's exhaust and kept it. Will be selling my three week old purchase asap.

Emily7 hasn't told us which model they've got, or where they got it from. Perhaps a little more information may help us to help them?

• Like 2

My wife was getting 58 mpg (brim to brim) back in the Autumn with mainly motorway driving, from her 1.5.

Dropped to low 50's now with the colder weather and possibly the "new" petrol?

In good weather my rough findings

70 mph - 54 mpg

60 mph - 64 mpg

30 mph 70-60 mpg

Good weather, optimal conditions, but of course it varies a fair bit.

Although the year of the Yaris in question was quoted as being a 2020 model, we don't know whether it is a third or fourth generation, and, if a third generation, whether it is a 1.5 petrol or 1.5 hybrid !

Quoting consumption from the current, fourth generation may not be helpful..

2 hours ago, Emily7 said:

Had a Nissan micra ( the beautiful beetle shape) for twelve years and loved it, loved it loved it.

Since we are being passionate here, I never met a micra l liked. I’ll admit that beetle shape is great for tall people, though. Definitely couldn’t have lived with one of those. 

Eye of the beholder, horses for courses, etc. The mk IV Yaris isn’t going to suit somebody who leaves, or needs to leave lots of stuff in side pockets and the glove box, the mid spec model doesn’t even have a decent place to keep the hi viz jacket! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Emily7 said:

I recently bought a one year old Yaris from a dealer.... supposed to be 1.5, only takes small amount of petrol then stops any more going in, so have to get fuel every week. Drinks fuel like a fish, had to fill up five times in three weeks and I only drive locally.

Ignoring your criticism as obviously you don't like the car or, by inference, Toyota.  Look at the performance. 

You fill 5 times in 3 weeks and only put in a small amount of petrol each time.  In my mind that doesn't equate to a fish. 

Just how much fuel do you put in in the 2nd to 5th fills and how far do you travel in those 3 weeks? 

If you are filling near 'empty' but adding only small amount of fuel, it might be faulty gauging.  

There are plenty of other possibilites but knowing your mileage and consumption would be a start. 

• Like 2

There should be some sort of window to return the car if not happy with, perhaps 30 days or so. Test drives are really not enough to make real judgment how the car drives in real world, how much petrol drinks, how nice is to be in and general usability through out the ownership. If you are new to the make and model then it is normal to feel somewhat uncomfortable at the beginning, you need few days or a week perhaps to get use to it. If the car is really that bad, best to act immediately and fight to return it. Although by the explanation given by the owner there is nothing technically backed like exact mpg numbers, or 0-60 acceleration, or ?? Ltr of fuel etc. I know how she feels as I also went through similar experience with Toyota car , however I had a real issues confirmed by the dealer who sold the car and they said to me just take it home and Toyota will take care of it, you have a long warranty., I refused obviously. I know the pain but ranting about here will not help anyone because there are many that love their cars of exact same models. 

10 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

There should be some sort of window to return the car if not happy with, perhaps 30 days or so.

There is under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

We also don't know whether the car was bought from a Toyota dealer, another marque's dealer or from an independent.

• Thanks 1

Emily joined 16 hours ago, did one post 16 hours ago, and not been back since.

Reading Emily’s post reminded me of reviews I seen for a cafe or a b&b place.  Every review is a good review or even better, nothing less then 6/10, loads of 8/10, 9/10, 10/10, then this one review is very critical, bad food, dirty premises, poor service, completely out of character compared with other reviews.  

May understand more if Emily comes back, sees the reviews and gives more info behind her comments. On the other hand………

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Every review is a good review or even better, nothing less then 6/10, loads of 8/10, 9/10, 10/10, then this one review is very critical, bad food, dirty premises, poor service, completely out of character compared with other reviews.

Yes, very often the only review the person has made. Like the ones where people complain when they aren't allowed to just have a drink at the restaurant bar.

• Like 3

I really liked the Micra! :biggrin: Well, the Mk2 anyway.... I really should have bought that instead of the Fiesta... My friend had a Mk1, it was a rusty death trap (I've never been in a car so alarming to be in at 40mph) and the ones that came after the Mk2 were ugly and also not really Micras. The current Micra deserves the name about as much as the current Mini... They're lucky they are names and not descriptions or they'd fall foul of trading standards! :laugh: 

The Yaris Mk4 blows all of them out the water tho'. Just no contest!

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The current Micra deserves the name about as much as the current Mini...

Micras have been based the Clio platform for donkey's. Apparently, the first three generations weren't. I never understood how they could take the Clio platform and make it worse. I always found it to be a typical "Universal Asian Small Car" (think Getz, Picanto, w.h.y.), i.e; vague, and no feedback when driving.

I include the Yaris in that category too, I was really concerned when going for the test drive of the Yaris IV, I would hate it. Up until then I'd never met a Yaris I liked, although I always thought the styling was neat.

[edit] modified bit about the the first three Micra generations - courtesy of FB [edit]

Edited by Stopeter44
Modified in light of FB's following Nissan Micro post
  • Like 1

We had three of the first generation Micras from new. Reliability wise brilliant compared to Metros, Fiestas, etc of the day. The first two generations were pure Nissan - the third generation onwards shared the same platform as the Clio. The fourth generation lost out on quality and reliability and were built in India. The current Micra is built by Renault.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I feel Nissan got the worse end of the deal from their partnership :laugh: 

I feel they're only still surviving because for some godawful reason people here are obsessed with the Joke and Crashqai despite them being unreliable garbage SUVs... wait no that explains everything :wallbash: :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links