Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 steering rack

JOSCYN

Hi all

I have a T180 2006 57000mls.

I have noise, clunk, knock from the Front-end that is very apparent during maneuvering when Parking or 3 point turns. (Can feel slight knock thru Steering wheel from side to side but effect is much greater while vehicle is moving)

Do not get anything when on open road or over sleeping Feds.

Had it checked on my local National Tyre Ramp Shaker (great bit of kit) and mechanic is confident that the Bushes and Suspension is ok.

Points toward Steering Rack.

I have not been able to pin it down yet so am asking for any suggestions before going to Toyota main Dealer and has anyone had similar issue previously and possible fix.

Thank you in advance.

Mark.

Just an update on Post, spoke to Toyota Parts and if it is the Rack, then looking at £1000 plus fitting.

It could be an intermediate box/

booked in for them to have a look on Wednesday.

Wish me luck.

Mark

With just 57k on it I doubt that its the rack and pinion unless a rack boot has split and water has got in.

If the knock/play is in the steering assembly then first suspect the inner or outer tie rod ends. Toyota do not sell the inners - they want to sell you a complete new rack!  Inners are cheaply available from aftermarket suppliers. Outer tie rod ends are very cheaply available from numerous suppliers.

Another possibility is wear in the intermediate shaft - good secondhand part for under £50 and well under an hour to replace. It may even just be movement in the splined couplers.

To be honest it is madness to go to a main dealer with a problem of this sort on a vehicle of this age. The repair cost will probably exceed the value of the vehicle. Get to a decent independent repairer (NOT a fast fit outfit) and they should be able to narrow the problem down for you. Its an everyday bread and butter fault for them.

In the unlikely event that it really is wear in the rack/pinion assembly then contact ACS power steering in Tamworth for a rebuild at a fraction of the cost of the dealer part. We have used them many times with good results.

Fantastic Jim

I was looking at Main Dealer to tell me what the problem is first and then decide what to do.

Thank you for your reply and wisdom.

I will update to all.

Ta Mark

16 hours ago, JOSCYN said:

Fantastic Jim

I was looking at Main Dealer to tell me what the problem is first and then decide what to do.

Thank you for your reply and wisdom.

I will update to all.

Ta Mark

Main dealers don't see many cars at 5+ years old whereas conversely independent repairers see mostly 5+ year old cars!  I doubt a main dealer sees many worn racks and when they do they will undertake a complete unit replacement with a new part, as opposed to a repair/rebuild.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links