Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird rattle noise

sportse

Appears to be coming from the passenger side front underneath area.

I thought it was maybe the wheel arch trim, but having it reseated hasn't fixed it.

It doesn't seem to be suspension related, more something that rattles when flexed or loose.

Happens at all speeds but most noticeable when accelerating from rest or at slow speed.

I first noticed it after going over a small speed bump at slow speed a week ago, so maybe it shook/pulled something loose. It was why I'd thought the wheel arch liner had maybe been pulled as a clip was missing.

Any ideas?

https://vimeo.com/362865242/description

Have you checked that the exhaust is secure and not fouling the bodywork somewhere?

Thanks, yes - the car passed an MOT today so suspension/exhaust/etc all checked.

Sound is pretty dull, to me it seems like a wheel bearing that's gone dry.

Does it happen when driving on smooth roads?

As said above, heat shield is the most common issue, as it tends to fall onto the exhaust and rattle in the wind.

Thanks.

It can happen on any type of road, if you drive over a bump in the road it might not do it.

The noise can be absent first thing after the car has been parked outside overnight, but then will start after maybe 5 minutes.

Might be something expanding with heat and then rattling.

The noise doesn't sound metallic, could almost be mistaken for loose items in the glove box except it's much louder and under/at the front of the car.

I drove over a tiny (1-2 inch) speed bump and had a scrape noise. It started after that. So maybe something was hanging down and has been pushed.

Only thing that could hang loose like that is heat shield which got broken away from the car due to vibration (pretty standard thing on a lot of cars).

Or maybe there was something on the road, some branch or etc, and  it got stuck between the exhaust and the car, so with tiny movement, exhaust moves, branch with it and you get the noise.

• Like 1

Many thanks.

It's doing it more often now, as well as regularly being set off by accelerating (either on Battery or ice) the noise also happens going over an uneven road sometimes.

Seems to be something working loose on the underneath.

I have it going back in to be inspected next week.

It passed a MOT yesterday, so what's rattling is likely an area that isn't covered on the MOT checks.

Hi, MOT Checks sometimes can miss many things even important one, imagine that guy checks tens of cars everyday and it’s kind of generic check that they look for specific components, they had missed my heat shield are loose so maybe same with yours but it does not sound to me like this is the cause. As the member already mentioned bearings or some other suspension parts, keep looking and it will comes up. This is my heat shielding that was rattling for reference and how I fix it with larger washers. 

080ACA40-3A7E-4251-B860-D78A5AE1D9AE.jpeg

67A6C6A3-2334-4A23-A621-9E8218635964.jpeg

A648DB94-B1B9-4212-9D55-5676BECF14E0.jpeg

BC133222-F83F-4DFD-84B9-F9AE776FED5B.jpeg

• Like 1

Problem fixed :)

Turns out it was a stone stuck somewhere in the suspension and rattling.

There must have been stones on top of the tiny speed bump I went over and one got lodged.

Car back to normal quietness again.

Rattle noise from engine, sound really bad

(reason why my car was very cheap)

actually from intake manifold,

Detected 1,6 VVTi engine

easy and inexpensive fix. 

Timo, Finland