Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 2019 AWD - Trail mode setting ?

Scottydog007

8A38AD86-8149-4986-A37F-41D503A09320.thumb.jpeg.ad4122ac19d043d27233a5f19c8f3ee7.jpeg

Does anyone know how to use this, when to use this trail mode setting? I do not see much of an explanation in drivers manual.

From the Toyota News Room: The new Toyota RAV4 hybrid

GREATER “ESCAPE” CAPABILITY WITH TRAIL MODE

The RAV4 Hybrid gains a higher level of capability with the introduction of a new automatic limited-slip differential control – Trail Mode – which ensures the best possible grip and control on low-grip surfaces. It can also provide valuable assistance when tackling challenging off-road conditions.

With the fourth generation RAV4 Hybrid, there was a risk of the vehicle becoming stranded if a driven wheel lost contact with the ground on very uneven terrain. On the new model, by activating Trail Mode (via a button on the centre console), the free rotating wheel can be braked and drive torque directed to the grounded wheel. Throttle control and the transmission shift pattern are also adapted to help the driver keep the vehicle moving.

I suggest looking at some of the US stuff on youtube. Particularly the roller tests comparisons with and without trail mode active. Most of the off-road tests are conducted on rough stoney trails so I don't know how the car would cope with english mud. Maybe I might get to try some wet grass this winter but I won't be doing any real off-roading!

• Like 1

P404 of my downloaded manual (*) has this:

• Trail Mode is intended for use when driving on bumpy roads. Do not turn the switch on in other situations.
  • Trail Mode controls the vehicle so that it can use the maximum amount of drive force when driving on bumpy roads.
  • If Trail Mode is continuously used for a long period of time, the load on related parts increases and the system may be unable to operate effectively.

(*) be aware, page numbers don't seem to be consistent on manuals downloaded at different times.