Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 hybrid Estima headlight removal procedure.

Hybridjunky

Hi folks

The nearside headlight unit on my Estima has developed a fair amount of condensation recently so I am planning to remove it in order to try and find the source of the leak and essentially seal it if possible.

I can see the 2 bolts at the top but not sure what else is holding the unit in place.

Having looked at some photos of units for sale on eBay it appears that there may only be one other bolt holding it which by the looks of it would be accessible from underneath the car from the inside of the wing.

Would appreciate any info.

Cheers

Not something I've had any experience of Dean...but my guess would be that you are going to have to remove (or move aside) the inner wing liner to get full access to the rear of the lamp.

Thanks for the suggestion Neil.

Yes by the looks of apart from the liner I may need to remove the grill as well as remove or at least lower the bumper unless the unit can be somehow lifted up and out.

Seems a right faff, Dean.....my 2003 Esti may be slightly different to the new ones so hard to compare.

..and removing the bumper wouldn't surprise me at all...I'm old enough to remember a time when such things...and bulbs..were literally a 10 minute job..lol

Let us know how you get on.

Have a look on YouTube for Previa or tarago headlight removal ?

Edit. This may help https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/estima-emina-lucida-42444/ahr20-54627/ahr20w-grxeb-909310/headlamp-17712902

looks to be 2 in the top and 1 on the side, with a bracket holding it at the front

Brilliant thanks very much. I'll update once I've managed to do something about it.

This is the only video I've found on youtube and it confirms that bumper needs to be removed!

• 3 weeks later...

The headlight suddenly died and upon inspection it turned out that the bulb was fine but the ballast was toast. Some 'smart alec' decided to fix the ballast at the lowest point of the unit resulting in any moisture going directly into the circuit. So I ended up buying a new ballast on eBay that set me back £23.

I could not find any damage etc on the unit so it appears that the moisture probably got in from the loose dust cover at the back.

I had to remove the grill and bracket below the grill from one side as well as pull away the bumper where it's clipped into the wing and managed to pull the unit out.

The headlight unit itself is attached using 3 bolts; 2 on the top and one on the side that is accessible once the bumper has been pulled away. There is also a swivel point clipped into the bottom right side that just pulls out.

Here are some photos.

IMG_20191029_095712.jpg

IMG_20191029_095840.jpg

IMG_20191029_095846.jpg

IMG_20191029_095909.jpg

IMG_20191029_095915.jpg

IMG_20191029_095918.jpg

Thanks for the update, Dean...not a job you want to be doing too frequently I guess.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely; only anyone changing a bulb should make sure the unit is sealed properly afterwards to prevent any moisture ingress! 🙂

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Any chance you can share what ballast you bought and where from? 

• 5 months later...

Hi do anyone knows where is the Afs Adaptive Front Lighting control unit is on the 2008 hybrid Estima is I need to switch it off as it keeps flashing on the dashboard, please can some help!!!

thanks 

• 2 months later...

If I remember correctly the AFS control unit is located on the passenger side under the glovebox.

Marc I bought it on eBay from a Chinese seller but unfortunately it was some time ago so can't find the seller any longer. If you search by part number, it should be easy to find it.