Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Will Carina E run on E10 fuel?

Dominicarina

Will the Carina E run well on E10 ethanol fuel? And also run without engine damage in the long run, engine wear, corrosion of the fuel lines and rubber seals, or high fuel consumption.

I have checked various sources, including the E10check websites and the Toyota dealer, but none are conclusive. The websites say Toyotas from '98 up will be fine, but mine is a '94. The dealer said he wasn't sure, his manuals don't mention alcohol.

In the UK, advice is that cars built before 2002 may incur engine damage through using E10 - for example: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/what-is-e10-fuel-and-how-could-it-affect-you/

i would say, if in doubt don't.

^^^ If in doubt = Swap it out....

for E10 proof hose

2sav

Don't use E10, It rots seals and o-rings and it turns old rubber to mush on older vehicles, if your car has a distributor e10 will cause pre detonation (pinging/pinking) as its not able to adjust the timing enough to compensate.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, thanks for the replies. I will try to use non-E10 for as long as possible. Too bad Euro95 is no longer available here at all now, which means we will have to use the premium fuels like V-Power from now on, which is 20 cents per litre more than regular fuel 😞

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...

I used E85 in my Carina E from 1996 for a while. It was no problems with any hoses or o-rings. The problem with that fuel was that the car was very difficult to start in the winter. It got quite thirsty on E85 too, but the fuel is "greener" than petrol is. I changed to another fuel pressure regulator to use E85. I had a slightly higher fuel pressure than on petrol. I also adjusted the timing, ethanol burns slower and needs longer time to combust.

It was possible to drive that car with up to 50% mix of e85 and petrol with no problems and adjustments with the engine.

I stoped using e85 in that car because it was too difficult to start in the wintertime. The fuel economy was not good on e85, but with a mix about 50% it got better fueleconomy and as the e85 was a bit cheaper than petrol the fuel cost / km was lower than on petrol when using that mix.

I changed the head gasket  after I had used e85 in that car and the cylinders and valves were all ok.

I had the 4A-FE leanburn engine in that car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links