Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EPB Malfunction

Gav 18

This morning the wife started my 19-plate CHR Hybrid and got several warning messages alternating on dashboard:

"EPB Malfunction. Visit Your Dealer."

"Antilock Brake System Malfunction. Visit Your Dealer."

And something about braking power being low (didn't get a photo of that message).

She also reported the car felt like it had no power.

I've got the car booked in with dealer tomorrow, but will it be safe to drive there?  Anyone else had these problems?

I've found threads that refer to a Skid control ECU software update fixing the issue, but these seem to date back to a 2017-ish recall, possibly just in America?

According to the DVSA website there are no recalls on 2019 C-HR hybrids.

Thanks Frosty.

Sounds like it might be a genuine fault then 😞

When I phoned up to book in, I was told there was an outstanding recall (apparently just released, so may not be on DVSA site yet?) regarding some work on the rear axle?

Still not sure if I should drive it, or have it recovered though...

You can also use Toyota's recall checker, the introductory page of which mentions a rear axle recall for models produced between June and August 2018 - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker

This will also check for any voluntary customer service campaigns (issues that haven't been serious enough for formal recall action).

As regards driving the car, I'd check with the dealer.

1 hour ago, Gav 18 said:

but will it be safe to drive there?

I would check with the dealer to see what they say and also maybe as a precaution take on a test drive where you can do low speed to be sure?  that's if it's practical where you live!

• 3 years later...

My CHR is having the same issue,what was the fix for your car?

Sorry to hear you are having problems. With the original post dated October 2019 I doubt you will get a reply, this forum along with most others are great for asking questions but you usually never hear from the topic raiser again until they want to know something else

There are a few good people on here that are very informative and do come forward with solid info/advice so you may get some help from them.

If and when you get it sorted, please come back and tell the forum your experience and then the forum can work as it should.

Apologies for the mini rant but I do find it a bugbear on forums.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

My CHR Hybrid has done this this morning. Unable to get it started for about 20 mins. I have taken it straight to the dealer. Will let you know what they say.

it has also had the Battery go flat twice on me after doing something similar so I have had a new Battery installed free of cost. This is a replacement car after having horrendous issues for about two years with the 1.2 l petrol version which has now been withdrawn.

• Like 2

I have the same issues with mine. 2017 CHR. Multiple Brake Failures. ERB & Auto Brake Low Power. Car won’t start. It refused 10times. Kept beeping & sounding off warnings as if I was in an airplane cockpit. Extremely frustrating. 

could be under-zero temperatures? afaik owner manual says how to use parking brake in winter

Low 12v Battery can be the cause for these events with epb. Good starting point imo. 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links