Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 RAV4 bleeping when braking

Hold Tight Min

I've had my RAV4 (2019, AWD, Excel) for a couple of days and noticed one strange thing.  Every time I touch the brakes a low volume but high frequency beep happens.  It appears to come from the dashboard area but I can't be sure.  It's already driving me batty and Lord only knows what the dogs will make of it.

Does everyone get this and/or know what it is?  Can it be turned off?

No - it's when I'm on the open road and it's regardless of speed.  It is quieter than parking sensors but still annoyingly audible.

I'm wondering if it happens when the system starts reclaiming energy from the brakes to charge the Battery, though why I would need a bleep to tell me that is beyond me.

Hi I’ve just watched a YouTube vid by cow wow and he touched on the brake making a noise have a Watch and let us know if that’s what you’re hearing 👍

Just reading about this elsewhere online and could it be that as hybrid braking relies on using the electric motor for regenerative braking to charge the Battery and at some point there is a change to physical braking and the beeping noise is what you are hearing ? Just an idea btw but must say I don’t notice any such beeping noise on my 66 reg but notice a high whirring noise when braking. 

Thanks for the suggestions folks.  I looked at the car wow video (I couldn't find the "cow wow" one but I imagine it's udderly brilliant 🙂 ) and the noise it is talking about seems to be the mechanical one.

I'll ask the dealer and report back.

• Haha 1

Hi Hold Tight Min, ooooppppppsssss can’t blame that on predictive text lol, I got it wrong, it is car wow please do let us know 👍

Is it the lane departure warning buzzer? I normally have mine switched off but it seems to reset itself to on at times. 

Not the lane departure buzzer.  It is quieter than any expected alert (quite faint and almost off the end of my audible pitch range) and it happens at any speed.  The one thing I haven't tried is to see if it only happens when travelling forwards.

Hey. The sound is from the electrical brakes. This is normal for the hybrid

Yes there is a continuous high pitch noise which is only noticeable to my ears when the engine is off. This car does make a few such unfamiliar sound effects at various times and if yours is louder than "normal" I expect it will quieten down after a few miles are clocked up.

15 hours ago, Alexanderkri said:

Hey. The sound is from the electrical brakes. This is normal for the hybrid

Thanks for letting me know.  I think I'm going to have to have the radio on at all times then otherwise it will drive me bonkers.

39 minutes ago, roadster-rav said:

Yes there is a continuous high pitch noise which is only noticeable to my ears when the engine is off. This car does make a few such unfamiliar sound effects at various times and if yours is louder than "normal" I expect it will quieten down after a few miles are clocked up.

I do hope so.  I wonder if it can be disabled - mine is a bleep rather than a continuous noise but from another reply it appears that it is a sound made when the electrical brakes are applied, though why the car needs to bleep when it does that is beyond me.

There is a gentle hum from the Hybrid system when slowing as the Motor/Generators send charge to the Battery.

I've certainly not noticed any bleeps on mine when applying the brakes though, and never come across that on any car, let alone Hybrids.  So I can't imagine what's causing your car to do that.  One to ask the dealer about perhaps, maybe see if you can take the Service Manager for a driver if he's not come across it.

5 hours ago, PeteB said:

There is a gentle hum from the Hybrid system when slowing as the Motor/Generators send charge to the battery.

I've certainly not noticed any bleeps on mine when applying the brakes though, and never come across that on any car, let alone Hybrids.  So I can't imagine what's causing your car to do that.  One to ask the dealer about perhaps, maybe see if you can take the Service Manager for a driver if he's not come across it.

I phoned the dealer today (and told them that they didn't enable the seat memory - luckily a post on here has sorted that out).  There answer was to bring it in to be looked at so I suppose that's next.

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

i have exactly the same issue on my 2019 RAV4 2WD there is a high pitch low volume beep when the brake pedal is pressed and also when it’s released. After having the car for 3 months it’s driving me mad. It’s been to the main dealer and had the brake pump and stroke sensor replaced It’s slightly quieter but still not acceptable. Currently it’s waiting for Toyota to contact the dealer. To be honest I’m slightly glad someone has the same issue. I was becoming paranoid as allegedly nobody else has reported this. If they can’t sort I’m hoping to return the vehicle 

Just to clarify are you talking about a sound which

beeps once for a short time ( how long?)

beeps repeatedly until you release the pedal ( approximately how long and what interval between beeps ?)

makes a continuous sound until the pedal is released ( or pressed harder?)

On 10/4/2019 at 12:20 PM, PeteB said:

...I've certainly not noticed any bleeps on mine when applying the brakes...

I spoke too soon.  My car was in for a couple of days at the end of last week for the Hybrid Brake Booster Pump Recall.  Driving home on Friday, I heard a noise as I (or the car) applied the brakes.

I would describe it like this: a fairly loud ‘squeak’ every time the brake pedal is pressed (also when the Cruise Control applies the brakes). Sometimes it’s very brief and not too loud (but loud enough to be annoying - like I'd stepped on a mouse), but mostly it seems quite long and loud (realistically probably about 1 sec), like I’m ringing the mouse’s neck!

I emailed my Service Manager on Saturday morning to express my displeasure, but Monday morning I sent a follow-up to say that it eased a bit during the day on Saturday, and by the end of Sunday had almost gone away.  He replied that if I bring the car in they will check it out anyway, even if it's stopped happening altogether.

I haven't got back to him yet because I've not been out since as I've had a bug this week, and I'd like to drive it one more time before getting back.  I will probably go out this afternoon as I'm starting to feel better, failing that tomorrow.  I'll update here as and when.

I did take my car for a short run this afternoon, and I'm lucky; the sound has completely disappeared.

So I'm not sure what's going on with the two owners with their persisting noises, but I hope you both get them satisfactorily sorted.

Hi, 

i have exactly the same issue on my 2019 RAV4 2WD there is a high pitch low volume beep when the brake pedal is pressed and also when it’s released. After having the car for 3 months it’s driving me mad. It’s been to the main dealer and had the brake pump and stroke sensor replaced It’s slightly quieter but still not acceptable. Currently it’s waiting for Toyota to contact the dealer. To be honest I’m slightly glad someone has the same issue. I was becoming paranoid as allegedly nobody else has reported this.

Called Toyota Customer service and the after sales manager at the dealership is now dealing with this. He has the same vehicle without any noise. 

It does seem to be pretty rare; the demonstrator I had for a couple of days certainly didn't do it, and neither did mine before the recall.  I'm sure if many others had come across it, we'd have seen more reports on here.

I can well sympathise, as by the time I'd done the 30 miles home when I got the car back I was pretty despondent.  My dealer is pretty good at sorting things out (not that it's been necessary very often in the 17 years I've dealt with them), but I was panicking a bit about what my options would be if it couldn't be sorted.  I could hardly ask them to put back the bits that had been deemed potentially unsafe in the longer term.

I'm mighty relieved mine has settled down, and hope that Tony and Henry get theirs sorted soon.

Thanks Pete B I will remain optimistic for now.

appreciate your feedback 

On 12/5/2019 at 9:10 AM, roadster-rav said:

Just to clarify are you talking about a sound which

beeps once for a short time ( how long?)

beeps repeatedly until you release the pedal ( approximately how long and what interval between beeps ?)

makes a continuous sound until the pedal is released ( or pressed harder?)

Sorry for the delayed response but I've been offline for a while.  It's option 1 - a single beep for roughly half a second.

Does it sound like an electronic beep?  While mine was making sounds it was more like a squeak.