Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yokohama Geolandar G91AV Tyres In The Wet

pmarley4rh

Morning All,

My 4.3 XT4 has G91av's fitted all round and they're perfectly good on dry roads but the slightest wet road makes the car very twitchy when cornering even at pretty low speeds.

Car never pulls to one side, stops in a straight line when braking, no vibration through the steering wheel, ride feels firm without being too harsh or soft, MPG is good at 34ish on the computer and tyre treads are all very good, 8mm on tthe rears and 7mm on the fronts which is consistent across the width of the tyres so no uneven wear at all but I just can't figure why there's such a difference in how the car behaves depending on weather.

I'm more than a little OCD about tyre pressures and check weekly, always running at the recommended 32psi.

Just had MOT done, sailed through, no problems at all and I did let the examiner know about this issue in case there was something shocks or suspension related which might be causing this but again, wouldn't that then be the case in all weathers?

I've seen members praising the G91's but I really can't say they fill me with confidence. I'm now seriously considering binning what appears to be a perfectly good set of 4 G91's in favour of all-season tyres as I can't think of what else could be causing this problem and I've got some trips up north over the coming winter.

Has anyone had a similar issue with the G91's or can anyone please suggest any other reason for this problem?

Many thanks,

Phil.

Apart from aquaplaning, which is a matter of tread depth and design, wet weather grip is a matter of material formulation and the hardness of the rubber compound. If I remember correctly tyres with more silicon give better wet grip. There may also be problems with the age of the tyres which can be checked by looking at the date code which all tyres have on the sidewalls.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links