Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone know what this is? What nut is missing?

Grog

Hi all,

A few days ago I thought I heard a metal ding under the car as I travelled at speed. It sounded like a bracket or fixture.

Then today I found this (see images) under the car (2012 Avensis), roughly under the engine area.

Would anyone know what it is, perhaps via a parts fiche diagram where it goes and the part number for the retaining part that seems to be missing?

Thanks, Grog

20191003_201452.jpg

20191003_201444.jpg

Update: seems to be a part of the aircon compressor flywheel, no idea whats missing and what impact it has that its no longer attached.

If anyone knows the correct part number for the kit (Avensis 2012) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks Gerg

So it seems I can get the disc, inner piece and rubber dampeners without the main pulley wheel. Great, thanks.

I'll try the usual vendors locally and if no go I'll try your links.

By the way, my aircon still works so is this only used as a protector plate to the actual clutch compartment on the compressor? Do I need it? Its about 70 bucks for the part and a few more bob to fit it.

Judging from this picture, it looks like these 2 parts were connected by pressure, albeit badly, you can see below, same issue, another user on forum.

But i see there multiple people had the same issue as you. Personally i would not worry much about it, it still works, and the AC is protected by the undertray anyway.

Here's the original topic if you want to check it.

If i wanted to put it back permanently, i'd consider welding it, few tiny ones thought those holes. it  looks like it was friction welded in the first place.

image.thumb.png.f2afbd9be259871e949acc501a0a0638.png

On 10/3/2019 at 8:53 PM, Grog said:

Update: seems to be a part of the aircon compressor flywheel,

I have no knowledge of air conditioning systems, but as you hinted at earlier, I think this is a rotational damper (or deliberately loosely-fitting flywheel) for the pump,  I guess that yours is a diesel (not a difficult guess, I know).  The extra mass is connected to the hub via the rubber dampers (missing in your case), so the harshness of diesel power pulses are absorbed through the rubber in trying to drive the weighty ring (that fell off), probably to give the compressor an easier life. 

You could think of it as a dual-mass flywheel for your a/c compressor!  I would guess the petrols probably don't need them - their fuel burns rather than explodes.... 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

There is now a rattle (car never had one before) at idle so I think I will order the new plate kit and go back in to investigate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links