Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking assist not working

Howard Whatmough

1 week old Toyota Corolla hybrid parking assist not working. When switched on it carries out the search for a parallel parking space but when you select reverse the park assist green light does not show on the dash but then flashes and cancels when starting the reverse sequence. I had the parking assist on my last Auris which was faultless so l know how it should operate. Can anybody shed any light on this problem.

For some reason I thought that the UK model didn't have parking assist. Obviously it does - I'll have to have another look at the manual.

Well I almost never parallel park but I do reverse into my spot at work. Huh. 'Stop so that the center of the target parking spot appears nearly perpendicular to vehicle.' well that's not gonna work, my usual spot at work is next to a pavement (the reason I picked it). Guess I'll just have to continue reversing in by myself 🙂

I too thought U.K. cars didn’t have it, but I picked mine up today, and it does. Not tried it yet 😀

Mine works ok. Did you touch the steering wheel?

Use mine quite often now for all the blind spots on the car it helps a lot

If the car scuffs the alloys whilst in park mode are you able to get a replacement from toyota

Other thing is when I use it to park I cover the brake and slow it down a bit

If you fidnt brake at all would it apply the brakes itself

This does bring up one improvement I'd like to see on the Corolla. One of the (relatively few) things that Honda does better. On Hondas the graphics on the rear view camera bend as the wheel turns. To my mind this is a better indication than the static Toyota lines.

You can see it here at 0:38 in.

The other thing I think Honda do better (than most other manufacturers) is the positioning of the infotainment unit. They built it flush with the dashboard (as seen here). Unfortunately the functionality of it is a bit naff, but at least it doesn't stick up like an afterthought.

The reversing guide lines on my last car (Audi) bent as you turned, but I don't ever remember actually using them as a guide!

The Gen 4 Prius I had before by current RAV4 had bendy lines on the reversing camera, but the panoramic (4 camera) view monitor on my new car shows bendy lines for front and rear wheels for going forwards as well as reversing.  I'll try and post a picture later.

Couple of shots of the Panoramic View Monitor:

First is when Reverse is selected, note the yellow lines for front wheels as well on the left image.  The icon on the bottom right switches between rear camera only, with normal and wide 180° view

20191005_155911.thumb.jpg.6f64b3545086807ec536a52c67afc22d.jpg

Second is when Drive is selected or the camera button is pressed (I've set mine up so this view automatically appears at low speeds.  The large view is also 180° so if you're edging out of a blind turn you can see vehicles approaching from the side, but you have to look carefully.

20191005_155924.thumb.jpg.23c229cf3fdb9b73bcca76208feb2071.jpg

Touching each quarter of the left view zooms into that part, useful for parking tight against a kerb, etc.  Note the parking space lines - no more excuses for untidy parking!

When in P, pressing the camera button produces a rotating all round view, and you can even select the colour of the image of your RAV4 to match your chosen colour (not sure if all available colours are there though).

• Thanks 1

“For some reason I thought that the UK model didn't have parking assist. Obviously it does - I'll have to have another look at the manual.”

AndrueC,  just curious about the above comment seeing you own the new Corolla Hybrid......how did you miss it?  Lol

4 hours ago, bruce e said:

“For some reason I thought that the UK model didn't have parking assist. Obviously it does - I'll have to have another look at the manual.”

AndrueC,  just curious about the above comment seeing you own the new Corolla Hybrid......how did you miss it?  Lol

Never needed it, never looked for it and for some reason just thought it wasn't available. Took me a while to find it when I went looking for it. Turned out it was down with some other buttons I never need to press.

I've been reversing into parking spaces all my life so I don't need help (the only time I don't is when I'm parking at a golf course when I need to be able to unload the boot). It'd be interesting to play with this feature it but now it turns out that it isn't suitable anyway. At work I park at the end of the lot so can't get the car into position. At home I park in my garage and the parking assist would refuse to help with that as it's too narrow.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:47 AM, AndrueC said:

The other thing I think Honda do better (than most other manufacturers) is the positioning of the infotainment unit. They built it flush with the dashboard (as seen here). Unfortunately the functionality of it is a bit naff, but at least it doesn't stick up like an afterthought.

That's how Toyota used to do it. It's really only in the latest generation of vehicles that they (along with many other manufacturers) have gone for the stick up version so that you don't have to drop your eyes as much.

2 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

That's how Toyota used to do it. It's really only in the latest generation of vehicles that they (along with many other manufacturers) have gone for the stick up version so that you don't have to drop your eyes as much.

I wouldn't have thought it made much difference. Perhaps Honda dashboards are generally just higher than other manufacturers? It doesn't any different to me. One thing I disliked about the Honda unit though was that on my (top) spec all the controls were touch controls. Even the heater controllers were. That was a bad decision by Honda.

5 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I wouldn't have thought it made much difference. Perhaps Honda dashboards are generally just higher than other manufacturers?

Not going by a video that I just Googled to check but possibly. It raises them something like 4-6" over previous Toyota placement (depending upon model).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

Never needed it, never looked for it and for some reason just thought it wasn't available. Took me a while to find it when I went looking for it. Turned out it was down with some other buttons I never need to press.

I've been reversing into parking spaces all my life so I don't need help (the only time I don't is when I'm parking at a golf course when I need to be able to unload the boot). It'd be interesting to play with this feature it but now it turns out that it isn't suitable anyway. At work I park at the end of the lot so can't get the car into position. At home I park in my garage and the parking assist would refuse to help with that as it's too narrow.

The park-assist is, I think, to help with parallel parking in short spaces. The car will assess if the space is large enough, and, if it is, assist with steering into it. It doesn’t AFAIK help with reverse parking, or narrow garages, or any other parking scenario except parallel parking on (in the U.K.) the left side of the road. 

30 minutes ago, rafletcher said:

The park-assist is, I think, to help with parallel parking in short spaces. The car will assess if the space is large enough, and, if it is, assist with steering into it. It doesn’t AFAIK help with reverse parking, or narrow garages, or any other parking scenario except parallel parking on (in the U.K.) the left side of the road. 

The Park Assist on the Gen 4 Prius I had until recently did both - one press of the button for parallel, two presses for reverse in.  As someone else said, to do reverse it, you had to park across the space you wanted to reverse into, so there were situations where it wouldn't work.  It was in some cases necessary to use the indicator to tell the system which side of the car you wished to find a parking space.

Where it did work though, it generally worked pretty well, but I mainly used if for parallel - it certainly got me into (and out of) some spaces I would have considered too small.  I was handy to be able to drive slowly past a row of parked cars and advised every time it passed a space it could fit into.  I wish my new (more expensive) RAV4 had it!

53 minutes ago, rafletcher said:

This is incorrect. As you say, park assist does do parallel parking but it also helps you reverse into a space between two cars e.g. in a typical car park space. Both only work when the target space is on the left hand side of the vehicle. I have done both and I have the UK Corolla version.

To operate you pull up with the intended space on your left. Then press parking assist button once for parallel parking or twice for reversing into a space between two parked cars in a car park. You can also exit a tight space when you leave but I'm not sure if this is just for parallel parking... if you're boxed in a bit this could be useful as the system will get you to a  position where you can take off safely (using indicator to tell car which way you want to get out).

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification 😊 I’ll have to give a try sometime. 

1 hour ago, rafletcher said:

From looking at the e-manual it is supposed to help with reversing in to a space as well. Page 356 for parallel and 365 for backing in.

' Stop so that the center of the target parking spot appears nearly perpendicular to vehicle. Then, press the S-IPA switch 2 times and check that the display on the multi-information display switches to “Reverse-in Parking”.'

I was late into work this morning so I actually got a chance to test the parking assist. I was a bit surprised that it was so hands free. Basically you just operate the accelerator/brake and change gear as told. The only thing I would say is that it left me very close to the car on my right, too close to open the door in fact. I ended up repositioning the car myself which didn't defeat the purpose of the feature but was a bit of a shame. The fact it does that as well as tending to put the car close to the right side of the lane when using lane assist makes me wonder if Toyota have forgotten to modify the programming for RHD. I might fire off an email and ask that.

Anyway it was an interesting experience, leaving the steering to the car. I doubt I'll use it again because reversing into a gap is so easy but on the rare (very rare) occasions when I have to parallel park I can see that coming in useful.