Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis 2010 door crack

Eric88

So about a year ago I purchased an Avensis 2010 1.8 petrol in otherwise very good condition for it's mileage(200k km) and age. However by chance I happened to look at the door hinges after washing and cleaning the car the other day. Found cracks in the paint and of course I googles this. Seems to be a common problem. The car is also out of warranty of course. Personally I'm a man that absolutely hate spending money on a car, so a new door is out of the question if not absolutely critical. For me it's just a tool to get from point A to B, that's why I bought a Toyota. 

I have attached a picture of the crack and would like some input on whatever this is something I could leave like it is if I'm just careful when opening and closing the door? Could I do something to prevent the cracks for developing further? I guess after some time it will start rusting and maybe need a paint-job? I'm just here looking for some ideas and input how to mitigate this problem. 

Thanks

/Eric

IMG_20191004_193352.jpg

See 

Thanks a lot. Do you think it's enough with the washers to prevent further damage? 

11 hours ago, Eric88 said:

Thanks a lot. Do you think it's enough with the washers to prevent further damage? 

I am using larger washers to help reduce the flexing. I tried slightly larger washers at first, then increased the washer size to cover more area. It helps. 
I have some metal plates which I could cut and shape, then fit to the inside of the door. This would mean stripping the door. I would get a friend to weld the plates and the damaged area, if necessary. All this is for the future if the cracks get worse. 
Also the drivers door is a little worse than the passenger when I first checked, but the washers have kept both sides in check for now. I will examine and see how they have progressed. The car is 10 years old and other brands have been worse.