Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speech warning over speed limit

JohnDoran

I have a problem with the speech warning if exceeding the speed limit in the navigation system  

It is so low I can barely hear it. Was not always like this but I don’t know what affected it. 

If you can only adjust the volume while it is talking, you have to exceed the speed limit to do it! 

Is there any way of adjusting the volume while static?

Any ideas?

John

Moved to the Prius club.

Hi John welcome to TOC 🙂

Don't know exactly which version you have on a Prius but try going Setup >General>Volume Settings

• Like 1

On my Gen4 Prius the volume is ok but the accuracy of the message is “iffy”, as in not always correct. For example, the system may pick up on 20mph limit,that’s fine, later I could be in 40 but the voice is telling me the speed limit is 20 even though the sign on my dash is 40 as well.  If I turn the voice down then map instructions, when I use, are also just as low.  Very frustrating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

On my Gen4 Prius the volume is ok but the accuracy of the message is “iffy”, as in not always correct. For example, the system may pick up on 20mph limit,that’s fine, later I could be in 40 but the voice is telling me the speed limit is 20 even though the sign on my dash is 40 as well.  If I turn the voice down then map instructions, when I use, are also just as low.  Very frustrating.

It works off the sat nav so it's only as accurate as the latest nav update. 

• Thanks 1

That makes the situation worse, Keith, May maps were updated by my Toyota dealer just 4 weeks ago, the last of my “free” updates, just before 3 years from new expired.

other thing I noticed this last week is the map more often then not gets the speed limit right but the voice is still wrong. But then, the map is not always accurate, typified by the fact when I turn onto the main road, A56, when I come out of my estate, the map shows 60mph limit, whereas for the last 4 years it’s been 50 and in parts 40mph. 

I come to the point I cannot trust the systems in the car at all, I just rely on them as a guide (as I should I suppose).

Yes Joe, there's no technological substitute for common sense and paying attention to the road. Although I do love the idea of a self driving car, but I don't think I'd be able to trust one.

We have the HUD that shows speed limits from a camera watching for road signs. Most of the time it works but occasionally misses the change and then disagrees with the sat nav display. It is particularly useful for temporary changes.

However I still don't know why it consistently tells me one stretch of the York to Hull road is 120mph. 

Cheers