Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla (2019 onwards) spare wheel

Micken

6 hours ago, rafletcher said:

Right, I picked up my 2.0l Excel on Friday, having declined the dealers offer or providing and accommodating a space-saver (which the 2.0l Design and below can have) for the princely sum of £640 😮.  At the time of their kind offer, I had assumed that, costs of the spare aside (around £200 or so?) there would be some work necessary to convert the boot space, perhaps removing plastic trim panels etc. etc., and we all know what labour rates at main dealers are like.  I decided I'd wait and see for myself.  Well, I have to say that having seen what is currently fitted, the price quoted seems a little on the high side! A point the salesman agreed with, as it happens.

All that is in the area that the spare would occupy is a large tray moulded from expanded polystyrene, and alongside a smaller one with the TRK in.  Admittedly, once removed there doesn't appear to be a captive nut for securing the spare retaining bolt to. Photos below:

48846736237_c2700421fc_c.jpgCorolla Excel boot by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

48846543796_1d623238e4_c.jpgCorolla Excel boot by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

48846543791_2e52398650_c.jpgCorolla Excel boot by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

So, can somebody please share with me what is in the boot area of a 2.0l WITH a space saver, so I can see how it's fitted, and what I was being asked to pay so much for? Meantime, if I do  any longer journey I'll just wrap the spare and tools in some old removals blankets to stop them rattling, and wedge them in the hole 😎

I know exactly what your dealer has done, there is an accessory kit for Hatchback Corolla that includes all the parts to convert a TRK car to include a spare wheel but it is not for 2.0 models it is for 1.2t & 1.8 models which do not have a 12v Battery in the boot and therefore do not have the double deck which a 2.0 does, the non 2.0 models need loads of trims change the boot over to a double deck.

• Like 1

Great pictures really helpful for everyone interested. What I can see all you need to install a space saver spare wheel is:

1: the wheel plus locking nut

2: a jacking set in a triangle foam storage

3: another foam pad that seats under the wheel. 
4: possibly  a set of wheel nuts specifically made for the smaller wheel 

2 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

I know exactly what your dealer has done, there is an accessory kit for Hatchback Corolla that includes all the parts to convert a TRK car to include a spare wheel but it is not for 2.0 models it is for 1.2t & 1.8 models which do not have a 12v battery in the boot and therefore do not have the double deck which a 2.0 does, the non 2.0 models need loads of trims change the boot over to a double deck.

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.  The retaining bolt looks to go into a threaded hole in the boot floor, I’ll take a closer look at mine but that’s not insurmountable, I can get it tapped at work if necessary. Can you tell me the part numbers for the foam packing piece for under the wheel, and the block plus tools please? I can then go back to my dealer and explain his mistake - or buy through the forum sponsor at a discount 😀. And thanks Leo for the photos, most helpful!

I’ve PM’d you.  If you can add the part numbers (my eyes aren’t what they were lol) I’d be grateful. 

My big question is why bother? I drove almost 140.000km on my Corolla Verso and had 0 punctures, meaning that I've carried just an extra unuseful load for that long distance...

Before that, my Almera 1.5 that I drove for 90.000km before the family outgrown it, had 1 puncture when I hit a pothole to avoid a collision with a truck on a very narrow road. But it was a slow puncture on the side so I'd get way with the TRK till I visit the nearest shop.

My wife Yaris 1.0 got one puncture in over 88.000km (maybe hitting hard on a sidewalk, I'm not sure) but again she would probably get away with the TRK. And on her previous Micra 1.0, our first car, I don't remember to have a single puncture.

Summing up that's 2 punctures in over 400.000km and counting... And on both occasions a TRK would do the trick. Unless one live on a desert area, we really don't need more than a TRK. The TS comes with the space and no foam pad at all, just a bag with some velcro to stay in place. I like to have that space free to fill when I need (vacation with five people and a dog is an opportunity to tes our capacity to puzzle, no matter how big is the car trunk).

Be cool and enjoy the space saver and lightweight TRK.

• Like 1

Why? Well in the last 10 years I've suffered 3 burst (nearside front) tyres with zero chance of foam working. The last was only a month ago - a narrow road, oncoming white van at speed, and a concrete manhole set in the verge with a corner sticking out due to erosion over the years. The previous two were both due to granite setts in the kerb on a country lane becoming dislodge and sticking out. So, I prefer to be self reliant and carry a spare. My preference, just like the fact my car's red. 🙂 I'll not go as far as I did with my last car - and Audi A4. For that I also bought and kept in the shed a full size spare so I only had to run on the space saver for minimal mileage and time. And I had a set of 5 winter wheels too lol.  Now I'm not contracting all over the place, and I could conceivable walk to/from work that's probably overkill 😁

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rafletcher said:

Why? Well in the last 10 years I've suffered 3 burst (nearside front) tyres with zero chance of foam working. The last was only a month ago - a narrow road, oncoming white van at speed, and a concrete manhole set in the verge with a corner sticking out due to erosion over the years. The previous two were both due to granite setts in the kerb on a country lane becoming dislodge and sticking out. So, I prefer to be self reliant and carry a spare. My preference, just like the fact my car's red. 🙂 I'll not go as far as I did with my last car - and Audi A4. For that I also bought and kept in the shed a full size spare so I only had to run on the space saver for minimal mileage and time. And I had a set of 5 winter wheels too lol.  Now I'm not contracting all over the place, and I could conceivable walk to/from work that's probably overkill 😁

I understand your concern. It depends on the roads you have to use. Over 80% of my mileage is highway so a spare is almost just weight and lost space. But in your case I would probably would get a space saver tyre. You don't need an extra set of nuts, btw.

Well, it look like I'll be having to make my own foam blocks up to support the spare and house the jack and wheel wrench.  I messaged Parts-King, and the foam parts aren't available as spares from Toyota.  The "Spare Wheel Kit" they do offer - the one LEO63 mentioned upthread - is for converting a 1.2 or 1.8 to accept the higher boot floor, and does involve lots of trim changes.  Still, where I work used stuff called Jiffycell, a stiff closed cell foam which can be carved to shape with the bread knife, so I'll be DIY'ing my foam blocks 😊

Thanks for all the input.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rafletcher said:

I’ve PM’d you.  If you can add the part numbers (my eyes aren’t what they were lol) I’d be grateful. 

OK:

Retaining bolt ( for space saver ) 51931-02320

Floor foam 64778-02050

RH "Tool" foam 64995-02120

Space saver wheel 42611-0F091

Tyre 125/70D17

jack 09111-F4010

jack handle 09113-F4010

Wrench 09150-F4010

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

OK:

Floor foam 64778-02050

Tyre 125/70D17

Jack 09111-F4010

Jack handle 09113-F4010

Wrench 09150-F4010

Fantastic, thank you. I'll send the details to my dealer and see if they will quote me 🙂

Ok, emailed my dealer, and got a quote back inside 10 minutes.  £35 and 2 days delivery (that excludes wheel and tyre of course, which I already have)  Result!

Confirmation from dealer that parts were ordered yesterday, and should be delivered tomorrrow. All being well I'll collect Friday, and weather permitting (which looks dodgy atm) have the "conversion" done in time for my first decent trip in the car on Sunday.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, Devon Aygo said:

OK:

Floor foam 64778-02050

Tyre 125/70D17

Jack 09111-F4010

Jack handle 09113-F4010

Wrench 09150-F4010

Well all the parts fitted, but.......

48881042302_271b5f25fb_k.jpgToyota spare by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

as can be seem from the above phot, the spare (which I checked is the correct size!) protrudes into the area to the left of the boot where there is a (removed in this photo and can be seen just laying down on the right, it simply pulls up off a couple of clips to remove it) a piece of trim that meets the edge of the boot deck normally. Removing it has had no deleterious effect on the boot floor solidity, but it irritates me, especially as in Leo63’s pictures of his Design 5be trim is clearly still in place   This leads me to believe that there is an alternative trim panel with a deeper scallop in it to accommodate the wheel.  Do you think that’s correct? If so, can you get the part number?

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 9:08 AM, JoaoM said:

My big question is why bother? I drove almost 140.000km on my Corolla Verso and had 0 punctures, meaning that I've carried just an extra unuseful load for that long distance...

Before that, my Almera 1.5 that I drove for 90.000km before the family outgrown it, had 1 puncture when I hit a pothole to avoid a collision with a truck on a very narrow road. But it was a slow puncture on the side so I'd get way with the TRK till I visit the nearest shop.

My wife Yaris 1.0 got one puncture in over 88.000km (maybe hitting hard on a sidewalk, I'm not sure) but again she would probably get away with the TRK. And on her previous Micra 1.0, our first car, I don't remember to have a single puncture.

Summing up that's 2 punctures in over 400.000km and counting... And on both occasions a TRK would do the trick. Unless one live on a desert area, we really don't need more than a TRK. The TS comes with the space and no foam pad at all, just a bag with some velcro to stay in place. I like to have that space free to fill when I need (vacation with five people and a dog is an opportunity to tes our capacity to puzzle, no matter how big is the car trunk).

Be cool and enjoy the space saver and lightweight TRK.

You are fortunate and mentioned cases that TRK will work. 
TRK is only good if the puncture is a tiny pinhole or nail puncture. If the hole is too large or a tear, the TRK will not work! Then you will have to get a spare or call for rescue. I have had a tear puncture, so as people I know. I do have a spare and was on my way in minutes, but in two cases I know of had to some help which took hours! 
I rather the security of a spare, than worry about weight saving, only to be stranded at a critical moment. Never say never, and hope you get a puncture that the TRK cannot fix.

On 10/7/2019 at 9:17 AM, rafletcher said:

Richard, I agree with you and have also experienced a tear puncture that TRK would never repair. I have a full size spare and changed it in minutes, and got my friend to her pre-booked train on time. My car came with a space saver, but I didn't like it after using it once. That is why I have a full size. The Avensis has three options - TRK, space saver or full size. It seems Corolla owners only have two choices. I know which one I would have.
This is the second post I have seen, where somebody thinks that spare is unnecessary and fuss over nothing, and they either never had a puncture or TRK was enough. We make our choices and stick with them for a reason.

Just get your spare wheel and have less worry.    

In the last few years, I've only had a few slow punctures that with the help of my own aftermarket Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (as opposed to Warning System that's built-in) I've made it to my dealer without changing the wheel (this has a small display that shows the actual pressure all 5 tyres, and monitors temperatures too - Google Tyrepal if you want to know more)).  If I get to the stage where I only ever drive a few miles from home (as one or two older neighbours do), I might think differently.

However, since 2000, I've driven nearly 400,000 miles (about 320,000 in Hybrids, BTW) and had almost 20 occasions where a wheel change was necessary.  Four of those would absolutely certainly not have been repairable with gunge (especially one where there wasn't a shred of rubber left on the rim by the time I got to the hard shoulder! - unless there is some very clever gunge available!) three more where success of gunge would be dubious and the remainder where it would probably have worked.

Even one slow puncture that probably could have been dealt with by the repair kit to get me home needed a new tyre since the damage was at the shoulder.  It took 10 days to get the replacement winter tyre, and even a space saver would be a liability for this length of time in wintry weather.

I avoided space savers as long as possible (a trip on the M1 at 50 mph in a Volvo with one was hair raising, to say the least).  My RAV4 came with one, but as there's room under the boot floor for a full size, I bought one.

I've heard of a few stories of people who've been massively inconvenienced by the gunge not working, and a couple who didn't even know they had no spare wheel until they were informed by the AA/RAC person they'd called to fit it!

Here's another interesting tale: 

Well, it looks I'm a lucky guy. My insurance travel assistance cover includes (no extra charge) a guaranteed maximum 60 minutes wait to be rescued at any part of the country (or they'll pay me 1€ for every extra minute)... Based on my experience of the last 20 years I think I'll keep pushing my luck... But I honestly understand the peace of mind and even the need of a spare tyre. Funny enough, I had a full size spare on the Almera and valued that as many cars by that time (2001) were getting space savers. In 2008, the Corolla Verso had a space saver and no option of a full size and I found it ok (really hoped never get a puncture with the boot full and/or on a rainy day as the tyre was under the car but hold in place by a screw at the bottom of the trunk). In 2019 I just got the TRK... A point in favour of the spare wheel: I know how to change a tyre but don't even imagine how to use a TRK.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 4:53 PM, rafletcher said:

Well all the parts fitted, but.......

48881042302_271b5f25fb_k.jpgToyota spare by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

as can be seem from the above phot, the spare (which I checked is the correct size!) protrudes into the area to the left of the boot where there is a (removed in this photo and can be seen just laying down on the right, it simply pulls up off a couple of clips to remove it) a piece of trim that meets the edge of the boot deck normally. Removing it has had no deleterious effect on the boot floor solidity, but it irritates me, especially as in Leo63’s pictures of his Design 5be trim is clearly still in place   This leads me to believe that there is an alternative trim panel with a deeper scallop in it to accommodate the wheel.  Do you think that’s correct? If so, can you get the part number?

Ok the extra part number is :

64744-02070-C1

So, picked up the final piece o& the jigsaw on Friday - revised lh boot trim with a big recess in it, as opposed to being flat - and slotted it in in 5 seconds. Hey presto. 

48918553208_14556d1040_4k.jpgBoot trim by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

48919289317_d2305a8147_z.jpgBoot trim by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

48919081441_ccbd495650_4k.jpgBoot trim by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hi Rafletcher

Really useful posting and thanks to those who've contributed.

I collect my Corolla Design Sports Touring towards the end of this month and fully intend to ditch the TRK and install a space saver along with the other items detailed above however I have a couple of questions if you can assisted me please?

I picked up that your car is a 2.0L so the Battery is in the boot, mines a 1.8 so it will be mounted in the engine bay, Can you confirm if your car is the Hatch Back or the Touring model please?

Secondly, I have access to an unused Space Saver from an Auris, my daughters previous car, Part No: 42600-05810 fitted with T125/70 D17 98M tyre. Can you confirm the part number on your space saver wheel please?

Many thanks

On 10/20/2019 at 1:48 PM, rafletcher said:

So, picked up the final piece o& the jigsaw on Friday - revised lh boot trim with a big recess in it, as opposed to being flat - and slotted it in in 5 seconds. Hey presto. 

48918553208_14556d1040_4k.jpgBoot trim by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

48919289317_d2305a8147_z.jpgBoot trim by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

48919081441_ccbd495650_4k.jpgBoot trim by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

Despite being made in the UK, they can't spell board! Ironically the reduction in traffic caused by lockdown increases the chances of a nail type puncture as there are fewer vehicles to either knock it out of the way or pick up the puncture themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

New to Toyotas but loving my Corolla. Need to sort the boot arrangement so will be asking for help x