Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uneven steering, pulling both sides

Regressor

Hi there, i have a 2006 avensis d4d and i have started to notice the car drags both left and right when pulling the steeringwheel just a little bit. So when driving straight i have to like keep steering or the car drags out to eighter sides. I did a inspection with wheels off the ground and the only thing i found a little off is the tierods. They are easy to turn from side to side, but there is no play in and out. I dont know if this is normal? The rest of the suspension is fairly new.

Have you had the tracking checked?

No not in a while, i changed to winter tires and after that it became noticable. Do they check for worn suspension when doing alignment? It fairly pricy at 170£. So i dont want to do it twice 😂

For that price I would hope that is a full 4 wheel alignment.

You should be able to get the tracking checked for much less (here in the UK many places will check it for free & it's only if they need to make changes that you will get charged).

For what ever reason, this sounds like the car has toe-out on the front wheels i.e. front right wheel is pointing to the right, front left wheel is pointing to the left, when the steering wheel is pointing straight ahead.

So when steering is turned slightly left, the r/h wheel is then pointing straight, but the l/h wheel is turning harder left - giving a pull to the steering.  And vice versa for the other way.

When you are steering straight ahead the forces cancel each other out, so no pulling on the steering.

Still, the conclusion is the same - the tracking needs checking.

• Like 1

tracking should be nowhere near £170.  Typical alignment (4 wheel) can be had for under £50 inc. adjustment.  Basic front wheel tracking for half that.

I live in Norway.. called today and made a appointment on friday for a 4wheel alignment. They charge ~130£. And if there is anything wrong (If they cannot perform the alignment) they charge ~65£ for a full suspension check. But i guess with the difference in wages and etc it is "ok" price here. Still a little steep tho. And these prices is with a 10% discount 😂👌

Ok so here are the results. The toe in front was off like suggested 👌 they were not able to fix the rear due to rusted/stuck parts..

9D14D80C-301C-41D3-831E-8AAFC37E43FA.jpeg

So has the front been adjusted, and resolved the problem?

Yes now all is good, the camber is off in the the rear by a bit so i might still get some tire wear in the rear by the looks of it. But the steering is now ok.