Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key connection lost

Andrealoukas

Hi, 

Last week my yaris 2012 would not start. We changed the Battery but still did not work. The toyota dealers said the connection between the key and car was lost. I was not told why or how this happened but to fix it it would cost a lot. Has this happened to anyone else and why would the connection just stop working?. Fyi the spare key was lost a few years ago.

Thank you.

The car cranks, but does not start?

What kind of key do you have, physical or smart?

Hi,

Its a smart key so the engine does not start when we press the start button 

Try this, press the clutch pedal, then the side of the key with Toyota sign put next to the stop/start button, the button should turn green and allow you to start the car.

This is emergency procedure to star the car when the key battery dies, i know you change it, but maybe the chip is still ok, but the sender unit is broken.

Thanks for the advise. This i did and thought it was due to the Battery in the key but when we changed Battery it did not help. So if i understood correct we need to change the sender unit?

No, this was to test if your immobilizer chip is functional, but maybe your key fob sender unit is not working.

Even with no Battery, you are able to start the car in the way i explained.

If you were not able to start the car, then it means the imobilizer chip in your key is probably dead.

Since you do not have other key to make a copy from, your options would be to get a new key made by Toyota, i think someone had lost their key recently, more or less same situation as you and the price was 230 GBP ~250 EUR. You can call Toyota and give them the number of your key, should be on your keyfob, and ask for a price.

The car starting procedure, verification of key etc is done by module, not by ECU, so might be possible to get another module from a wrecked car, and use on your own, but i think even a used one wont be under 100-150GBP, not to mention getting it to work, if possible.

Well noted. Fyi Toyota dealers where i am quoted me 2,500 euros to fix this.

Considering you are probbably in GR, i guess they just want to rip you off with additional expenses, for example instead of cutting a new mechanical key, they will charge you a new cylinder + key + installation, + new imobilizer module etc etc. 

I would call more dealerships asking for a quote, maybe you will find a more honest one. Does your insurance maybe cover lost keys? I know some do.

I saw people reading the values of the ID box chip directly, then programming it onto a blank key, the video below shows the same issue as you have, but don't know how real it is, as the examples i saw, people were welding wires to the ID box etc.

I would call local places that do these things, maybe someone of them can program it for less money than Toyota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPfmQ0bx7Y