Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2019 RAV4 Hybrid - Headlights when going to rest of Europe?

kgrass

Hello All, 

Just bought a new RAV4 Hybrid and would like to drive along Continental Europe for Holiday in the near future.

Do we set headlights somehow or they are automatic? Definitely wont be using them stickers because these are no good for your new covers.

Good question. I was in my dealership when I read this as I asked them the question. Like you I will be taking the car to Europe assuming Brexit allows me.

so answer is no, there is not an automatic adjustment of lights, you still need to use light detectors which are normally a sticky pad going on to the lights.

Now I have used these many times on new model cars and I do not have any issues taking them off after. Just that there is no need to really press them on hard in the first place. 

I saw this YouTube video giving good suggestion.

10 hours ago, kgrass said:

Hello All,

Just bought a new RAV4 Hybrid and would like to drive along continental Europe for Holiday in the near future.

Do we set headlights somehow or they are automatic? Definitely wont be using them stickers because these are no good for your new covers.

2 hours ago, Scottydog007 said:

Good question. I was in my dealership when I read this as I asked them the question. Like you I will be taking the car to Europe assuming Brexit allows me.

so answer is no, there is not an automatic adjustment of lights, you still need to use light detectors which are normally a sticky pad going on to the lights.

I think that you will find that whoever told you this was wrong. Modern projector headlights (certainly HID/LEDs) don't need beam deflectors e.g. 

I would like to see this written somewhere. When I google this I have read loads but no one confirming anything at all.

I very much doubt they will be auto switch for European driving. How will it know what side of the road you are driving on. Some cars have a manual switch which points lights left or right. I have not seen anything in drivers handbook to say the Rav4 has this.

What I have read is that a lot of LED lights point directly ahead so neither left or right so can be considered suitable for both UK and European driving. It could well be these lights are on the Rav4 but I have not seen anything stating this.

My dealer definitely told me that I would need the deflectors that stick on to the glass. I’m hoping that some wise person on this forum can direct us to where this is written.

30 minutes ago, Scottydog007 said:

I very much doubt they will be auto switch for European driving. How will it know what side of the road you are driving on. Some cars have a manual switch which points lights left or right. I have not seen anything in drivers handbook to say the Rav4 has this.

modern projector lights don't dip right or left they just go up or down (e.g. in my Avensis with halogen bulbs it is done by a shutter system).

What trim grade is your RAV again? As far as I can see all UK-spec MY19 RAVs have LED lights  but some are multi-reflector & some are projector according to grade & they all have auto-levelling.

If you look at the Eurolites website you will find that they provide specific fitting instructions for the RAV 4.5 (3/2019 on) with different pattern diagrams depending on whether you have Projector headlights or LED headlights. So Eurolites certainly think that you ought to buy their product and will 'show' you how to fit them ... and, I guess, if you want to play it safe, that is what you should do.

Conversely, if I park a few metres back from a wall and use dipped beam, the pattern on mine (halogen projector headlights) is really pretty flat - the cut-off is really sharp and there's no noticeable tick up on the left. I rather suspect that yours will be the same. So I now carry the deflectors when driving in Europe just in case, but no longer fit them as a matter of course because I don't believe that I am causing any nuisance to other road users.

The owners handbook is totally silent on the subject and I've never seen anything definitive written down.

31 minutes ago, philip42h said:

If you look at the Eurolites website you will find that they provide specific fitting instructions for the RAV 4.5 (3/2019 on) with different pattern diagrams depending on whether you have Projector headlights or LED headlights. So Eurolites certainly think that you ought to buy their product and will 'show' you how to fit them ...

Well, they would, wouldn't they ... 😛

• Like 1

Generally after Brexit (if ever happened) this would be the least problem having in mind that UK drivers will have to carry a European version of driving licence printed by authorities.

Regarding headlamps I've heard many stories from people I know got stopped by German or French Police and they never mention a single thing about lights or their settings.

I'll think I take my chances. 

Thanks Everyone for you reply's.

10 hours ago, kgrass said:

Generally after Brexit (if ever happened) this would be the least problem having in mind that UK drivers will have to carry a European version of driving licence printed by authorities.

Regarding headlamps I've heard many stories from people I know got stopped by German or French Police and they never mention a single thing about lights or their settings.

I'll think I take my chances. 

Thanks Everyone for you reply's.

Driving in Austria a couple of years ago in a Honda CRV I got stopped by the Austrian police just doing a spot check. They asked to see my car registration document. I wasn’t prepared for this, I told them that in the UK we are not expected to carry these, but I did have a photocopy of it. He told me in Austria you are expected to carry the original and I can no longer drive the car and will need to have the document sent over from England.

He kept me for 20 minutes and I argued that I was a tourist bringing money to their country. In the end he fined me 60€ and let me go.

It was just a money making action to rip off tourists.

Can say my precious A6 very markedly altered the matrix light output when hit the continent. Was auto operated by the gps. 

I can understand matrix  doing that (very expensive systems) but I don't think that any of the RAVs are matrix. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links