Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2014 Auto gearbox

irahim

Hi

Is the gearbox in this petrol version a CVT? How reliable is it? Does it require frequent transmission oil changes?  Just been hearing a lot of negatives about CVT gearboxes in recent months. 

thanks

It depends on the Year, the semi autos (MMT) are to be avoided at all costs, the cvts are one of the better ones on the market and the hybrid uses an eCvt what is a lot different to a standard cvt and are proven to last

As for fluid changes 50-100k miles using the correct grade fluid to Toyota specs

• Like 1

The third generation Yaris (2011 onwards) came with the CVT rather than the MMT. As the OP is looking at a 2014 petrol, this will be a CVT.

There are lots of CVT haters around so they will post negative things about them. Quite possibly never even driven or owned one!

Toyota name it "Multidrive" and as already mentioned, not to be confused with their awful "Multimode (MMT)".

No regular fluid change specified, I can't even remember, without checking, if there is a change interval in my service booklet.

I like mine but they do perform differently and sometimes give the impression of a slipping clutch in a manual tranmission car.

i have driven a few autos over the years, the toyota cvt is half decent, the smart car auto is the biggest pos i have ever driven but hopefully they have got the automated manual sorted by now

The Nissan Jatco boxes are fragile and when they go wrong they do grenade sending the keys that make up the belt everywhere

I do like a good ol slush box, but the way manufactures have gone a different direction are far and few between in smaller cars