Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris brake pads

Rashi

Hi , I have Toyota Auris 2017 1.2 automatic car. Car is still under warranty but recently it was making squeaky noise while driving and braking. Got it checked with Toyota service centre and they advised it needs both front and rear brake pads replacing. My car have just done 13500 miles and I drive within town with kids picking and dropping so my driving style is not bad either. I have to get my tyres changed after 8500 miles and now brake pads. I feel like these should be covered under warranty. I never have to change my brake pads before for Yaris and Micra, I drove both for 4+ years before.

I thought I am buying good brand and spending more money so I don't have to deal with regular issues. I understand all cars have wear and tear and brake pads do need changing but I feel there is something more to it..... At this age and mileage ideally brake pads shouldn't need replacing.

I will speak to Toyota service manager later today but please can I have some thoughts and views so I know how to approach this conversation and get it done under warranty.

Looking forward for some valuable input. Thanks

If they truly are in need in replacement after only 13,500 miles then, either something is wrong with your brakes or something is wrong with your driving style.

• Like 1

This happened before, i believe there is nothing wrong with your pads, they just squeak due to material used.

When this happened first time, Toyota replaced the calipers free of charge (squeaking was then apparent only when comming to a full stop, at low speeds).

I do not know why you have to change tires after such little mileage, but as far as brakes go, have you checked if there is braking material left on the pads, do you need to replace them because of squeaking, or because they are worn out? 

• Like 1

Tyres after 8.5k and new pads at 13.5k.

Something sounds wrong there... I'm on 63k and had four tyres fitted at around 42k. I've never worn a set of brake pads out on any car I've owned.

• Like 1

As with any other manufacturer, brake pads would be classed as wear and tear items, and probably only covered by a limited warranty (commonly around six months). Tyres would be covered by the tyre manufacturer's warranty.

Autos are generally harder on the brakes, you could kill a set of pads in that mileage but only if your hard braking everywhere, Dealers will tell you, You need new pads at  40-50% wear

as for tyres, 8.5k, The tracking must be out or your not checking tire pressures, never buy tyres from a main dealer they will upsell you big time and have a very large markup

Hi, there are only two ways that you can have brakes and tyres worn out in such short time and mileage: 

1. Bad Driving style 

2. Lack of proper Periodic maintenance and inspection.,

what I mean here is that because the car has a very little use, if had been driven most of the times with under inflated tyres and with rusty brakes plus stuck callipers that are the results, premature wear on brake pads and worn tyres, however If the car been serviced every year on time within the main dealer facility and if there was a problem with the brakes they should have noticed that and recommend to you a repair or parts replacement no matter if covered under warranty or not as consumable parts, which actually are both brake pads and tyres. My recommendation is to see opinion from another garage and if they say the same than you need to get the car back to the garage that had been serviced all those years and ask to look at it. It will be difficult to say who is at fault, but if is the dealer that didn’t noticed any brake problems or didn’t serviced properly than you may get it done under warranty, any other cases you have to pay for replacement, either way they need to investigate first why pads are down so quickly and fix the issue otherwise you may need another set of pads only after a year. 
Good luck 

As above get a second opinion, go to another garage and ask them to look into the brake pads issue. 

Had my current Yaris hybrid for 15months, done about 10k miles, passed mot 5months ago no problem. Tyres were approx 6mm when I had it, now front is around 3.5mm. 

Sounds to me like they are trying to pull a fast one. 
could you try and put your phone in between the spokes of the wheels and take a picture of the thickness of the pads, and the tread of the tyres. Would help in helping you. 

To be honest if the brakes are squeaking on your car it’s more than likely to be the rear pads sticking in the Caliper carrier. 

needs the rear pads taken out and the thin metal shims removing and Filed smooth and the shims. 
The shims are sprayed black and over time the paint comes away and dirt gets under it, then that causes it to rust. 
Which causes it to expand and stops the pads moving freely. 

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth - my experience of squeaking pads was indeed down to "driving style"

In may case, my driving style involved very little braking.

As a result, I learnt that I need to have the calipers cleaned and re-greased at each service.

If this is not done, they become increasingly sticky with a combination of road dirt and grease.

As a result the pads are not full retracted after braking and they squeak.

They will eventually get bad enough that they stay in contact with the disk even at high speeds - generating a lot of heat and risking damage.

So if your driving style involves not braking much, clean the calipers. Replacing them is not necessary.

Hope that helps

Hi have you had the car since new if not the previous driver could have been hard on the tyres and brakes.

• 1 year later...

I own one, model August 2016. Believe me I’m in 100,000+KM. Tyres still have good greep. It’s my fourth year, I had squeaking of brakes in my second year. Took it in they greased it for me. Paid little and never heard it again. Something is not right. 
I know by now your problem is solved. But a good driver can get 150,000KM from brakes of Toyota Auris 2016^. Good luck.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:05 PM, Rashi said:

Toyota service centre and they advised it needs both front and rear brake pads replacing. My car have just done 13500 miles and I drive within town with kids picking and dropping so my driving style is not bad either.

i think you have answered your own question you are driving around town stop start stop start stop start

lots of braking here, you will of done far more braking than someone with double the milage but is on

the motorway all day long

the tyres wearing out could also be attributed to lots of low speed manoeuvres where more

pressure will be exerted on the tyres