Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stereo

Lee_johnson1975

Hi guys was wondering what ways there are too add a usb/aux connection to the factory unit on a 2008 auris without changing the stereo, which I like, and links or pointers to anything to look for in this regards. 

Many thanks 

You can buy an adapter online for 20-ish GBP that's plug and play, you get aux input and sd card/usb port with it, they usually send sd card reader adapter as a gift.

It uses CD changer port, installation is pretty easy, you take the glovebox off, and you can just plug it in from there, usually people leave the cables in glovebox.

Just search for Auris mp3 aux adapter (eBay and alike).

image.thumb.png.155cc030bc74c81b0a5af2f79d876810.png

Yeah, it's like 10 second job, you can even find videos on youtube. Basically you open it, then remove the dampener for it, i guess on UK version it's on the side closer to the door.

This will enable you to open it even more, then just pull towars yourself and it's off.

The hinges are actually like clamps, so it comes right off.

If you install this, pls update the topic, i'm curios if the CD works with it afterwards.

image.thumb.png.7726ccbe825f21e908a443be80c66b52.pngimage.thumb.png.4fe62f479f7a1789345481423e8ad15c.png

So you wouldn't have take out the stereo do this? Just reach fom behind the glove box? Not really bothered about different stereo like how it is easier just play 2000 odd songs in a USB stick. 

1 hour ago, Lee_johnson1975 said:

So you wouldn't have take out the stereo do this? Just reach fom behind the glove box? Not really bothered about different stereo like how it is easier just play 2000 odd songs in a USB stick. 

Just seen a guy do something very similar on YouTube so thanks a lot

Hi Lee, 

this adapter I fitted to my Auris few years ago, it sounds very good, it's 100% compatible with player, working exactly as a CD changer;

59ce7475cb542_CDchangeremulator.thumb.jpg.38713f694b20752b865636863ce77fad.jpg

I put the box backside of the clocks, USB and aux connectors installed into a false cover button.

IMG_20170702_132349.thumb.jpg.19226cb927d2adf003f5ba75adaceb0f.jpg

For this operation I removed radio, clocks and small switch panel with mirror controls.

Looks sound that mate bit beyond my technical know how thou 😥

It's plug'n play job; clocks and radio are very simple to remove. 
A little bit tricky is making holes in the fake button; the easiest way is to put cables with connectors in upper glove compartment. 

I'll just do mine I think by getting a sticky pad mounting it in the lower glove box I think, for £20 cheap upgrade isn't it? 

Yes, mounting the box with cable in glove compartment is the easiest way, of course.

Is it easy plug the lead in the back of the stereo? 

Very easy, the adapter should have a connector with 12 pins (6+6).

1527296328_66pin.thumb.jpg.d813a5e5ef2271deab6cf941402353b0.jpg

I hope my hands arnt too big lol. I'll get one ordered. 

2 hours ago, tavy said:

Hi Lee, 

this adapter I fitted to my Auris few years ago, it sounds very good, it's 100% compatible with player, working exactly as a CD changer;

I put the box backside of the clocks, USB and aux connectors installed into a false cover button.

For this operation I removed radio, clocks and small switch panel with mirror controls.

Can you still use the CD player with it? I saw that it's connected on a CD changer port, and people cycling cd1,cd2,cd3 etc.

Saw the guy on the YouTube clip flicking between the 2 so would of thought so, but don't quote me

21 hours ago, furtula said:

Can you still use the CD player with it? I saw that it's connected on a CD changer port, and people cycling cd1,cd2,cd3 etc.

Yes I can, pressing the same CD button can switch between CD player and CD interface (CDI appears on the display).

That's really good... What's the sound quality like? 

There are lots of options so long as the stereo has the CD changer at the rear. toymini.jpgYours will obviously be the later socket.
Here are my posts, or posts I have been involved in. Even though my is an Avensis, the info will apply to the Auris. There are choices of adapter around, and prices vary.

Hope this helps and you get a form of upgrade without any major wiring. Just plug and play.

Great I'll give it a go, saves burning CDs all the time! 

22 hours ago, tavy said:

Yes I can, pressing the same CD button can switch between CD player and CD interface (CDI appears on the display).

Can you use the USB to also charge your phone, and is it any good?

If yes, then i might even make a special bracket like you did, to hold it out on the open.

22 hours ago, Lee_johnson1975 said:

That's really good... What's the sound quality like? 

Not bad at all, as any mp3 CD, I like it.

3 hours ago, furtula said:

Can you use the USB to also charge your phone, and is it any good?

If yes, then i might even make a special bracket like you did, to hold it out on the open.

I'm afraid not, current of USB is very small, about 500 mAh, for charging the phone you need at least 1 Ah (1 000 mAh).

23 minutes ago, tavy said:

Not bad at all, as any mp3 CD, I like it.

I'm afraid not, current of USB is very small, about 500 mAh, for charging the phone you need at least 1 Ah (1 000 mAh).

Are you saying it does not charge at all, or it just charges slowly? I do not need to actually charge it, but more to maintain charge or so, when i have music/navigation on.

Sadly i saw chargers with such low output, making phone charging pretty slow, for comparison, USB2 is maximum 500mAh output.

Couldn't be bothered if it charges be perfectly honest

Done it and success of sorts.. It works for about 2 minutes then switches to the radio and won't connect again until the engine turned off and on again 😕 works with volume steering controls but no track up and down